Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Unusual case, any one know of anything similar?

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:37 am

I was cruising around over on AVADirect's website playing with configuring various systems and I came across this.

http://www.avadirect.com/desktop-pc-configurator.asp?PRID=27062

In short its a L shaped PC case with a bracket to mount a flat panel monitor on. Here is a link to Newegg's page on the same case, which they no longer carry. It has more pictures with a view inside you don't get from the AVA page.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811160030

Does any one know of any other cases based on the same idea? This one would have cooling issues with a gaming system from the last few years I bet. It could be modified and more fans added and some other changes made. With smaller SSD drives this thing has possibilities that were not possible when HDD's where the only game around for internal storage.

I got to looking around and there are still some of these around for sale. But, it does not appear its being made any more so when they are gone that's going to be it.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Unusual case, any one know of anything similar?

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:52 am

Huh. That's actually quite neat.

It's a little bit 90's but it's an effecient use of space and you could put quite a beefy system in one.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:51 am

I've never seen a case like that, but I like the concept! I've seen these 'all in one' style PCs' in corporate environments but never with full ATX support. Looks like the monitor stand has some degree of height adjustment but the design could use some refinement in regards to cable management, front port support, cooling options, internal layout and looks, also 27" monitor support would be nice.

I had a quick look around for 'atx case with monitor mount' but wasn't able to find anything of this size, only SFF mATX. I bet a good looking well thought out case in this style would do well on kickstarter.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:11 am

Looks like some kind of funky workstation case for an OEM. It's also either BTX, or the motherboard mounts upside down. Not quite my style.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:05 am

To each their own I suppose, but that thing looks hideous. I would probably kill myself if I had to look at that every day.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 am

DPete27 wrote:
To each their own I suppose, but that thing looks hideous. I would probably kill myself if I had to look at that every day.

...As opposed to just getting rid of the computer case? :roll:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:15 am

The thing that's more common these days are tiny PC's that fit on a 100mm vesa mount.

I'm still seeing a gap in the market for a slim, vesa-mountable PC that houses a dual-slot graphics card; Most of the tiny vesa-mountable builds are utterly woeful in the GPU department.

Given that they can cram a Titan into a Steam Box horizontally, I don't see why such an arrangement can't be used to make a slim PC for use behind a screen with the same dual-expansion slot capability.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:09 pm

You should design one and Kickstarter it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:47 am

tanker27 wrote:
You should design one and Kickstarter it.

You know what? I totally would if I actually wanted one myself.
The thing is - I don't. And I don't think anyone else really wants one either, otherwise the market would already have responded ;)

It would be easy enough to prototype with something like a Gigabyte Brix or ISK300, but it would always come down to an issue of how to power it and that means overpriced SFX PSUs or even more expensive external supplies and converter boards. Gamers are typically after good value for money, because any budget that isn't wasted on size-reduction can be spent on faster GPUs - and PicoPSU's and fancy form-factors don't really fit the "good value for money" bill very well!