Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

New Dragon Age Inquisitions trailer

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:06 pm

This is looking better all the time. If only EA wasn't involved, sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuR1Fn_b48

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: New Dragon Age Inquisitions trailer

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 pm

EA doesn't write the story, record the voice-overs, generate the artwork...

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Yeah but they do add in the DRM. I think of it as a big slobbering of poo on top of a fine dinner prepared by a Michelin chef.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:46 pm

I can't say I have much love for DRM, but then again, I don't have an irrational hatred of it either. I mean hell, I use Google.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:20 am

A decent, though long, gameplay trailer.

I'm sold; it's what I'm looking for. What about you guys?

Jon1984
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:46 am

Didn't enjoy DA2 to much but Origins is one of the best RPG's I've played so I can't wait for it to come. And with shiny graphics? Shut up and take my money!
i5 3570K - Nepton 280L - P8Z77-V - 4x4Gb - 290X Gaming 4Gb - 2x F90 - Spinpoint F3 1Tb - S340 - CS750M
MX239H AH-IPS - Ryos MK - Kone Pure Military - HyperX Cloud - Win 10
Xiaomi Mi A2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:10 am

I also didn't care for DA2 but loved DA:O enough to play through it entirely with every class.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:25 am

I think DA2 get too much of a bad rap. Sure it wasnt as fleshed out as DA:O but it did advance the story and introduced some great characters. Fenris, Tallis, and Varric have to be my favorite. Although DA2 lacked the witty banter between the companions that DA:O had. Sometimes I would replay sections in DA:O with different companions just to hear the banter. I also would stop playing and just sit to see what the companions would say to each other.

I am very eager for DA:I. I cannot wait. Every bit of information on it makes me a salivating fool. (I was this way with Mass Effect too and pretty much still am with hints that there will be another Mass Effect)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:04 am

DA2 was very dumbed-down compared to DA:O. This may have been necessary for console gamers or for EA's corporate requirements after they changed the creative direction at Bioware, but it really hurt the game.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:11 am

DA2 was so neutered compared to the original in every way. It's like a car that got a paint job, then they replaced the V8 with a 4-banger. I couldn't play it much, it made me so unhappy. Enchan....enchantments?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:15 am

Check out the disk space requirements (not including all of the mods that I don't own):
Dragon Age: Origins: 18.7 GiB
Dragon Age II: 6.2 GiB (that's with the HD textures).
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:16 am

Again I cant argue with you about DA2. In-fact I agree. But at least it advanced the story/lore and stayed with it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:37 am

Airmantharp wrote:
I can't say I have much love for DRM, but then again, I don't have an irrational hatred of it either. I mean hell, I use Google.

I don't hate service based DRM. EA has yet to truly grasp the concept, origin used to scan and index your entire hard drive and upload its findings(might still do that) Just look at how their DRM in sim city pretty much killed it. They don't know how to create steam like value for their users. Instead they mastered the ability of taking a good game and making the cracked version on bit torrent superior to the payed for version. Their treatement of paying customers as criminals is immoral and a massive disservice to their investors, developers and their consumers.

I can't think of another major industry that has flourished while treating customers like criminals... I mean look they removed DRM from nearly all MP3's, Movies are bad but not this bad... Books are so so, but that is also what has slowed the adoption of digital books.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:53 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
I don't hate service based DRM. {Valve} has yet to truly grasp the concept, Steam used to scan and index your entire hard drive and upload its findings(might still do that) They don't know how to create value for their users. Instead they mastered the ability of taking a good game and making the cracked version on bit torrent superior to the payed for version. Their treatment of paying customers as criminals is immoral and a massive disservice to their investors, developers and their consumers.

I fixed that for ya.......

Just in case you missed it, pretty much everything you said was said about Valve's Steam back in 2002/3 and now look at Steam. All those value added features didn't exist in the first few years. In fact When Steam first came out of beta it was bundled with stuff from AT&T, Acer, and Gamespy. Heck the Steam Community as a whole didn't come into existence until 2007, that's was four years of work after the fact.

I've said it before and i'll say it again your aversion to Origin is null. And it wont be long until every publishing house has its own distribution mechanism. I bet that before long Zenimax will be next to roll out theirs. (I am betting it will roll out with the next Wolfenstein or Doom or even Elder Scrolls (not Elder scrolls online though))
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:43 pm

jihadjoe wrote:
Yeah but they do add in the DRM. I think of it as a big slobbering of poo on top of a fine dinner prepared by a Michelin chef.

The word you were looking for is "slathering". "Slobbering" implies it has already been in someone's mouth first. Ewwwww :P

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks. And ewwwww either way. :o

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:05 pm

I enjoyed DA2 for what it was, but a true RPG it wasn't.

Can't say I didn't enjoy running around with a 2H and assassinating the little guys though- the game was much more action oriented, and was plenty enjoyable as such.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:26 pm

tanker27 wrote:
kamikaziechameleon wrote:
I don't hate service based DRM. {Valve} has yet to truly grasp the concept, Steam used to scan and index your entire hard drive and upload its findings(might still do that) They don't know how to create value for their users. Instead they mastered the ability of taking a good game and making the cracked version on bit torrent superior to the payed for version. Their treatment of paying customers as criminals is immoral and a massive disservice to their investors, developers and their consumers.

I fixed that for ya.......

Just in case you missed it, pretty much everything you said was said about Valve's Steam back in 2002/3 and now look at Steam. All those value added features didn't exist in the first few years. In fact When Steam first came out of beta it was bundled with stuff from AT&T, Acer, and Gamespy. Heck the Steam Community as a whole didn't come into existence until 2007, that's was four years of work after the fact.

I've said it before and i'll say it again your aversion to Origin is null. And it wont be long until every publishing house has its own distribution mechanism. I bet that before long Zenimax will be next to roll out theirs. (I am betting it will roll out with the next Wolfenstein or Doom or even Elder Scrolls (not Elder scrolls online though))

I don't think valve had bad customer relations in-spite of steams growing pains as they communicated their vision to grow the service and make value for consumers. There is always resistance, you are right on that. Just that on the whole valve never purchased a dev then put them out of business like EA does to this day. Valve had no real blue print for what they were doing. EA only had to copy valve to not piss people off, they failed at that, and have continued to IGNORE their consumers on things that matter to them to the detriment of the games and services they wish to peddle. I played HL2 and have been using steam since the beginning. I don't think Valve has ever appeared as hostile to their consumers as EA or Microsoft has.

Origin is on the whole a smooth service now, but just this last year we had 2 disastrous launches and it seems they are a product of EA's greed as opposed to consumer focused products and services.