Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Problems with thumb drive and USB drivers

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:46 pm

A new USB thumb drive has messed up the USB drivers on my Windows 7 64 system.

Previously, I had no problems with my USB thumb drives. I bought a new Verbatim Store 'n' Go 16 GB USB 3 thumb drive (my system only supports USB 2), and since then Device Manager reports problems with my drivers, specifically with the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller and the Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller, as shown in this screenshot.

Windows's troubleshooting program can fix the problem, as shown here and here, but whenever I reboot my system, the problem returns.

Even more annoying, I now have this problem even if I don't use the new thumb drive at all.

I've searched for new drivers (HWInfo reports driver version 6.1.7601.17577, dated 20 June 2006), but found nothing useful. I'm using Windows 7 64 Enterprise, fully updated. The drive has ID 18A5:0243. Linux has no problems with the thumb drive, of course. Image

Any suggestions?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Problems with thumb drive and USB drivers

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:32 am

Did you install any software that came preloaded on the new thumb drive? If so, check your installed programs list and remove it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:36 pm

There was no software on the USB key.

I've noticed that all the USB drivers are version 6.1.7601.18328, except for the USB mass storage device, which is version 6.1.7601.17650. I wonder if the discrepancy is the problem. I can't find a newer driver for the USB mass storage device, though.

I've also found that by selectively enabling and disabling USB devices, I can work around the problem. I don't know whether that suggests a hardware problem.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Well, if the thumbdrive did not come with software, then the fact that the failure occurred right after you used the thumbdrive was probably a coincidence.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Restoring from a backup made before I first used the thumb drive seems to have solved the problem. :-)

On the other hand, I've messed up my boot options. :-(