Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

FightingScallion
Gerbil
Topic Author

Maximum GPU Length

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Okay, long-time lurker, motivated to join up recently. Had a thought:

I've had my Antec P180 for a nice long time (bought it back in 2005-2006). Now, I'm looking around at new cases, partly because this one seems to be getting harder and harder to fit the high end graphics cards into. My HD7950 fits, but I had to pull out one of my hard-drive cages (which is fine, but a little odd).

The trouble is that most case manufacturers don't publish a spec for the maximum length card that can fit. Very few of the retail websites give the number either. And a shockingly small number of reviews include the measure as a relevant one of merit. The easiest cases to find them for are cases Full ATX cases, which (as evidenced by my removal of a hard drive cage) I really don't need.

So, can I put this on a wish-list for future articles on cases?

And would other gerbils be willing to help compose a list of such information?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Maximum GPU Length

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Silverstone includes the maximum graphics card length in all of their product descriptions.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_c ... =7&area=en
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

FightingScallion
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:37 am

Yep. That solves Silverstone.

Others that seem to: Lian-Li, Coolermaster, Fractal Design

Sometimes do, sometimes don't: Corsair, Antec, Rosewill, Raidmax, Xigmatek (rarely), Thermaltake (usually; always on higher end)

I'm sure I missed some popular ones. Little did I anticipate this ever being a problem back when I built my first computer. How times change.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:51 am

I've just bought a case and both site I used as my first choice supplier put that info in.

In fact years ago when I bought my Corsair 400D I used the numbers provided to choose a card (not that that case has any issues)

On some sites the good information comes and goes. As the consumer we should be pushing for the information we want to see.

One example I can think of where information has been edited on us is Best Buy. I have to quote the Canadian site. They used to have screen resolutions on all laptops and have it as a search criteria. Now they have stagnated on 720p and 900p screen resolutions (I found 2 1080p laptops out of the 50 they had on display in store not counting Apple). They are trying to sell mass market crap that is stagnated technology. So they now have removed that search and in the tech specs it is missing too for the most part.

Sorry for the rant.