Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Freezepop and Cake, for some odd reason. Maybe it's the melancholy?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Djam Karet - The Trip

Didn't even realize they had released this, it apparently came out about a year ago. I would describe it as a 47-minute long ambient/psychedelic/prog jam. Highly recommended.

I grabbed it as a digital download from Bandcamp. Lossless FLAC FTW!

I'm old-school, so I'm waiting for Rhino to deliver the physical goods. Will enjoy when it arrives.

When my recent purchases hit the doorstep I will be pretty sure that JBI & I are the only two people on the planet who own the complete discographies of Djam Karet and Sass Jordan.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:43 pm

It was a tough decision to buy the downloads instead of the CDs. I like having physical media too, especially for obscure stuff like Djam Karet. But the size of my music collection has long ago outstripped my ability to store it in a way that allows me to conveniently access it. Most of my vinyl and CDs are boxed up in the crawlspace, with rips of everything accessible over Ethernet and WiFi from a file server (amusingly enough, that file server is also located in the crawlspace, next to the stacks of boxes full of CDs).

For a couple of years now I have been buying downloads for about half of my music purchases. In this case, the availability of lossless FLAC downloads was the clincher.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Oh, I just have CDs sprawling all over my "office" as the rack downstairs by the stereo was full 3-4 years ago. I need to move to a server-based lossless system and find the right way to archive discs plus the accompanying material in a way that takes up less space than jewel boxes while not leading to physical damage.

I've my eyes on a rack than can hold around 1000 jewel boxes, but SWMBO has differing views.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:12 pm

Flux Pavilion, and They Might Be Giants

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Oh, I just have CDs sprawling all over my "office" as the rack downstairs by the stereo was full 3-4 years ago. I need to move to a server-based lossless system and find the right way to archive discs plus the accompanying material in a way that takes up less space than jewel boxes while not leading to physical damage.

I've my eyes on a rack than can hold around 1000 jewel boxes, but SWMBO has differing views.

Following my pending server upgrade I need to go back and re-encode everything as FLAC. Back when the project to digitize my entire music collection started, disk space was still too expensive to have lossless rips of everything on spinning hard drives. I did burn the original WAVs to DVDs, which will significantly reduce the number of discs I will need to feed back through a PC to recover the lossless rips. But it's still gonna be a royal PITA.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Following my pending server upgrade I need to go back and re-encode everything as FLAC. Back when the project to digitize my entire music collection started, disk space was still too expensive to have lossless rips of everything on spinning hard drives. I did burn the original WAVs to DVDs, which will significantly reduce the number of discs I will need to feed back through a PC to recover the lossless rips. But it's still gonna be a royal PITA.

I went though this process for the exact same reason, just a little over a year ago. Ugh. The only problem with your WAV files is that they don't hold any metadata. Whether or not that's an issue depends on how you intend to playback the files.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 pm

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I went though this process for the exact same reason, just a little over a year ago. Ugh. The only problem with your WAV files is that they don't hold any metadata. Whether or not that's an issue depends on how you intend to playback the files.

Since day one (which was well over a decade ago now!) I was quite meticulous about encoding the "important" meta-data in the directory/file naming scheme: <artist/album/xx track-name.wav> (where xx is the track number). When I encode stuff I use scripts which parse the path/name and shove that into the encoded files' meta-data. So while I don't get the ancillary meta-data (like release dates, genres, etc.), at least the critical stuff is all recoverable.

Hmm... another concern is that it has been so long, some of those DVDs I burned the uncompressed files to may no longer be readable. I'm gonna be really pissed if I have to go digging through boxes in the crawlspace to find original CDs to re-rip, or (ugh, even worse) re-do any of the vinyl rips, which involve some manual post-processing to get rid of clicks and pops.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:05 am

George Harrison - Devil's Radio

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:47 pm

Conquering Dystopia, their debut album is streaming. It's pretty intense...

http://conqueringdystopia.com/downloads

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:52 am

Yeats wrote:

Listening to that right now. I'm not a huge fan of djendt, but I'm willing to give it a shot since (so far) it doesn't have vocals, namely those horrible screeching ones so popular in the genre and that I hate so much :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 am

Ahh, the comfort of fan noise on an old build.

Who needs music when you have great white noise. I am nodding off....

Ry Cooder's Bop Til You Drop - a classic - saves the day.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 am

Next comes Cerulean Salt by Waxahatchee - different for sure.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
jackbomb wrote:
Annie Haslam - Rockalise, from Annie in Wonderland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE56mQpWAU4

The entire album is just amazing. Best 2nd hand music find in quite some time. :)

You'll be really happy when you backfill the Haslam-era Renaissance albums. Massively underrated/underappreciated prog band from that era.

I finally ordered a few of their albums after listening to some of their stuff on Youtube the other week. Currently listening to Black Flame from Turn of the Cards. This is absolutely incredible.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:51 pm

jackbomb wrote:
I finally ordered a few of their albums after listening to some of their stuff on Youtube the other week. Currently listening to Black Flame from Turn of the Cards. This is absolutely incredible.

Glad to be of service. Far too many people have never heard of Renaissance.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Intervals - A Voice Within

If you haven't listened to this, you're seriously missing out. An incredible instrumental progressive metal band (of the "djent" variety) Intervals recruited an incredible vocalist and made this sans record label. It's made it into the Billboard's top 200, and has popped up in the top 5 on Canadian and American iTunes rock and metal charts. No screaming, just pure progressive musical mastery. I can't get enough of this album.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

killadark
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:24 pm

garbage- tell me where it hurts ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NORVwJ48p4A
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
jackbomb wrote:

Glad to be of service. Far too many people have never heard of Renaissance.

I'd certainly heard of them (and Haslam) back in the day, but somehow never managed to actually acquire any of their material. Working on remedying that, so I'd say you can tally another convert.

Speaking of semi-obscure '70s English prog-rock, anyone else here listen to National Health? Perhaps I can return the favor Ned! :wink:

(OK, I guess National Health probably crosses the line, they're not just semi-obscure, they're *really* obscure...)

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:23 pm

morphine wrote:
Yeats wrote:

Listening to that right now. I'm not a huge fan of djendt, but I'm willing to give it a shot since (so far) it doesn't have vocals, namely those horrible screeching ones so popular in the genre and that I hate so much :)

I agree, there's a lot of hardcore vocals I just can't stand. What's your opinion of Conquering Dystopia? It's awesome, but I think too intense for "everyday listening" for me.

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:25 pm

OH, currently listening to Rainbow - Stargazer.

JosiahBradley
Gerbil

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:30 am

The soundtrack to Super Meat Boy. Then I'll switch back to something dark and brooding.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:28 pm

Recently picked up a pile of stuff by drummer and keyboardist Gary Husband. Currently listening to "Dirty And Beautiful, Vol 1".

He's not exactly a household name (understatement!), probably being best known as a sideman in Allan Holdsworth's band, and as the replacement drummer in Level 42. Don't let his obscurity fool you; he's a phenomenal musician and composer.

Couple of things that have really struck me listening to his solo projects: Some of the solos on Holdsworth's albums that I had previously assumed were played by Holdsworth on Synthaxe were almost certainly actually played by Husband on keyboards. It is also clear to me (now) that he's gotten sucked pretty deep into (and/or contributed a lot to) Holdsworth's idiosyncratic sonic vision. His tribute album "The Things I See" is amazing (it consists entirely of re-interpretations of Holdsworth tunes on solo acoustic piano).

Edit: I would definitely put him up there on my list of favorite drummers. Bill Bruford, Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Terry Bozzio, Chad Wackerman, Stewart Copeland, Dennis Chambers, Steve Smith... Gary Husband belongs on that list too. Really love when a drummer is overtly musical (as opposed to just rhythmic).

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:34 am

Taking a trip down memory lane, listening to some stuff by Mr. Big. Noticed the other day that they released a reunion album back in 2010 (titled "What If..." with a picture of a flying pig on the cover :lol:) that I completely missed, so I grabbed it off Amazon. This has led to a re-listen to a bunch of their older stuff as well.

These guys were basically latecomers to the '80s arena rock / hair metal genre (their debut album came out in 1989). But holy crap, they've got chops. Paul Gilbert (who was apparently one of Buckethead's guitar teachers!) is a phenomenal guitarist, and Billy Sheehan remains one of my favorite bass players to this day (mainly for his fusion band Niacin). Vocalist Eric Martin is no slouch either.

To get an idea of the overall flavor of this band, check out the first track of their first album, Addicted To That Rush. OMG, those crazy unison guitar/bass lines... yeow! :o

I still vividly remember seeing these guys at a small club in Chicago with my wife, after the release of their second album in the early '90s. Their radio hit at the time was To Be With You, an uncharacteristically (for them) tame, laid back acoustic ballad. It was pretty clear that most of the women in the audience (other than my wife, who's a bit of a metalhead) were thinking "WTF is this sh*t?" through most of the show. I think many of them were dragged there by their BFs, who probably told them "Yeah, you'll love them, they're the band who does that 'To Be With You' song you like!").

Oh, and the reunion album? It's worth having if you're into flawlessly executed '80s-style hard rock and guitar/bass pyrotechnics. Gilbert and Sheehan haven't lost their chops; their vocalist seems to have lost a bit of his range (and the songs are clearly tailored to this, with the melody about a half-octave lower); but this doesn't detract much. The band's signature vocal harmonies are also still much in evidence.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Recently picked up a pile of stuff by drummer and keyboardist Gary Husband. Currently listening to "Dirty And Beautiful, Vol 1".

He's not exactly a household name (understatement!), probably being best known as a sideman in Allan Holdsworth's band, and as the replacement drummer in Level 42. Don't let his obscurity fool you; he's a phenomenal musician and composer.

Couple of things that have really struck me listening to his solo projects: Some of the solos on Holdsworth's albums that I had previously assumed were played by Holdsworth on Synthaxe were almost certainly actually played by Husband on keyboards. It is also clear to me (now) that he's gotten sucked pretty deep into (and/or contributed a lot to) Holdsworth's idiosyncratic sonic vision. His tribute album "The Things I See" is amazing (it consists entirely of re-interpretations of Holdsworth tunes on solo acoustic piano).

Edit: I would definitely put him up there on my list of favorite drummers. Bill Bruford, Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Terry Bozzio, Chad Wackerman, Stewart Copeland, Dennis Chambers, Steve Smith... Gary Husband belongs on that list too. Really love when a drummer is overtly musical (as opposed to just rhythmic).

Dennis is the man. My favorite drummer of all. I fear for his drums like I fear for no others' drums. You left the master Vinne Colaiuta off that and several really don't belong. Brain most definitely goes on the list. Hi ho.

Listening to Halls of Dimension. The waa on the first track is a real Cry Baby, oh yeah Buckethead.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Yes, Vinnie belongs on that list; definitely an error of omission on my part. Just out of curiosity, which of them don't belong in your opinion?

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yes, Vinnie belongs on that list; definitely an error of omission on my part. Just out of curiosity, which of them don't belong in your opinion?

I do love little Terry Ted Bozio but he is not really of that class. You could add Greg Bissontte, Dave Weckle and of course the master of them all Buddy Rich. If you go back a bit there are a whole set of Jazz monsters as well. Billy Higgens, Max Roach etc etc. Airto Moreira and Trilok Gurtu amazing drummers and percussionists ... oh lord I could go on ...
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:09 pm

PenGun wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I do love little Terry Ted Bozio but he is not really of that class.

If you haven't heard it before, I suggest you track down a copy of Polytown and see if you still hold that opinion. :wink:

PenGun wrote:
You could add Greg Bissontte, Dave Weckle and of course the master of them all Buddy Rich. If you go back a bit there are a whole set of Jazz monsters as well. Billy Higgens, Max Roach etc etc. Airto Moreira and Trilok Gurtu amazing drummers and percussionists ... oh lord I could go on ...

Ahh, Trilok Gurtu. Yes, that was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. :D

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Chimp Spanner - Supererogation

My favorite track from one of my all time favorite guitar-centric albums
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 am

Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good. Absolutely perfect dish washing music. :D

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:43 am

jackbomb wrote:
Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good. Absolutely perfect dish washing music. :D

Played that in high school jazz band when it was still on the radio. If you want to turn up Chuck Mangione a notch or two, go find Children of Sanchez.