Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Does MAGNET damage LED MONITORS?

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi guys,i currently have a ACER Led 18.5 monitor, and i have a speaker at the back of it, and they were like 5 inches away from each other... However, my monitor earlier this afternoon just turned red, well not fully red but its like a red tint all over the monitor screen equally, and it is constant. Black colors in my monitor appear in red, that how bad it was. So i have another the same brand new monitor, i replaced the red monitor,using the same system unit and cables, and the red problem has gone away. I dont know, im not sure whether my monitor itself is the problem, or just the magnet at the back? Just to be safe, i ddnt put my another good monitor close to the magnet, i also have still warranty to my defect monitor. Can you please clarify if magnets really damage LED monitors?
Last edited by tigidig3x on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Does MAGNEST damage LED MONITORS?

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:48 pm

MAGNEST is a new Marvel superhero, right? :D
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 pm

bthylafh wrote:
MAGNEST is a new Marvel superhero, right? :D

sorry, i edited it already. hahahaha

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Does MAGNET damage LED MONITORS?

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:08 pm

To answer your question, though, I don't think so. Magnets bother CRT monitors because they deflect the electron beams, but that mechanism isn't present in LCDs.

About the only reason I could feature a magnet damaging an LCD monitor is if the magnet is both 1) powerful, and 2) moving, which would induce a current inside the monitor's electronics, but that's not likely.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:22 pm

in the case of old CRTs the magnets interfered with the aiming of the electron guns (magnet at back or side) or pulled the electron streams off targets (magnet on the screen)

In modern LED and LCD that is not the case. The weak magnets in speakers should not impact the screen at all.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:27 pm

I would first check your cables if you are using the vga cord.

Next I would do a reset to factory settings.

If neither of those help time to RMA or pitch it.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:38 pm

What they said. Magnets should not affect LCD monitors at all, unless you are talking about magnets that are strong enough to be dangerous for other reasons.

The most likely culprits are A) loose/damaged monitor cable; B) failing monitor; C) failing graphics card.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:41 pm

Magnets can permanently screw up a crt monitor if you place a slightly strong on on the front of the screen.
I did it messing around at work and it must do something to the powder coating inside the tube.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:54 pm

vargis14 wrote:
Magnets can permanently screw up a crt monitor if you place a slightly strong on on the front of the screen.
I did it messing around at work and it must do something to the powder coating inside the tube.

You can actually induce residual magnetism in the aperture grill that is beyond the ability of the start-up degauss pulse (that grunty noise you get every time you turn on any CRT) to eliminate. Tweeter magnets are very good at this.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
vargis14 wrote:

You can actually induce residual magnetism in the aperture grill that is beyond the ability of the start-up degauss pulse (that grunty noise you get every time you turn on any CRT) to eliminate. Tweeter magnets are very good at this.

Yup. I had this happen once years ago. I was able to fix it with an old bulk tape degausser I had sitting around.

Thrashdog
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
vargis14 wrote:

I had an old 17-inch Trinitron tube that had somehow adapted to the presence of a the magnets in an old landline phone handset that sat on top of it. When you took the phone off the screen, the top right corner would warp and yellow. Put it back, and everything went back to normal. I'm not sure how that happened...

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Thrashdog wrote:
I had an old 17-inch Trinitron tube that had somehow adapted to the presence of a the magnets in an old landline phone handset that sat on top of it. When you took the phone off the screen, the top right corner would warp and yellow. Put it back, and everything went back to normal. I'm not sure how that happened...

The phone could've induced an opposite permanent field in the CRT shadow mask, which would've partially canceled out the deflection of the electron beam caused by the phone? Having a little trouble visualizing it, but I think that's at least plausible. Maybe?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The phone could've induced an opposite permanent field in the CRT shadow mask, which would've partially canceled out the deflection of the electron beam caused by the phone? Having a little trouble visualizing it, but I think that's at least plausible. Maybe?

I was thinking that the degauss pulse with the magnets so close somehow locked in a beneficial residual field. Major SWAG, but it's all I've got.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Or maybe the screen was fancy enough to have corner adjustments that allowed someone to correct for the presence of the phone.

I used to have a triny tube Phillips screen that had that.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm pretty sure this could damage one of these but not by the power of MAGNET, only by the power of SMASH.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:25 am

iPads and iMacs have magnets surrounding the display.