Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Would you donate to TR in order to receive knowledgeable answers to your questions?

Yes, $1
1 (2%)
Yes, $2
No votes
Yes, $3
No votes
Yes, $5
No votes
No. I'll post in the normal forums and hope for the best.
46 (98%)

Total votes: 47

tdsevern
Gerbil
Topic Author

Donate Your Knowledge...Support TR

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:08 am

Gerbils are often very knowledgeable creatures. You roam the tunnels of the TR forums to gather food (ideas/knowledge/experience) but usually have no benefit to share that food with others. What I am proposing is a new section of the forums where you "get paid" to provide solutions to other Gerbils questions.

So, here is my idea...

Say I have a question: What is the best software/hardware option to solve issue X? I post this question on the forum and offer a $3 donation for the best answer. Gerbils can post answers and I would decide who provided the best solution. My $3 would then be donated to TR on behalf of the Gerbil with the best solution and the $$ amount would show up on that Gerbils "Food Share" tag and would contribute to the Gerbils Silver and Gold Subscriber tag.

Thoughts?

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Donate Your Knowledge...Support TR

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:41 am

Too much money being talked about here on TR. I don't like the general direction things are going around here. If this keeps up it could all end up sabotaging the site.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:01 pm

I get my answers for free from here and other parts of the interwebs, and I'll donate my knowledge for free as well.

If TR needs more money after this subscription thing I'll support whatever their decisions are. I like the idea of a reddit-gold-esque scheme, but in the meantime I agree with ronch--let's calm down with the money-making ideas and let the admins mull it over. TR is known for its quality articles and community, and we don't want to destroy that.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:22 pm

I doubt such a system would work because you can get similar answers for free in other places on the internet.

Also, where is the cheese option?!?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Duct Tape Dude has the right idea.
The minute you have a paywall to get answers, people will abandon the forums like a sinking ship. See ExpertsExchange for the most horrific site-suicide in existence.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:03 pm

superjawes wrote:
I doubt such a system would work because you can get similar answers for free in other places on the internet.

Also, where is the cheese option?!?

You'd be surprised, I make most of my income answering questions that you can find in a few minutes of googling provided you have enough relevant subject knowledge to understand the results.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

The Egg

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:08 pm

No. If newcomers see that they have to pay money to get a helpful answer, they'll just go somewhere else. I would too.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Trying to control information on the internet is impossible as music, movie and game pirating has proven. Paywalls just send people elsewhere. An open, helpful community that encourages discussion rather then charging for it will always prevail over a paywall.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:36 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
The minute you have a paywall to get answers, people will abandon the forums like a sinking ship. See ExpertsExchange for the most horrific site-suicide in existence.

Yup. Mercifully, they don't seem to come up in Google search results very much any more. For them, falling off the first page of hits is probably akin to a mercy killing.

Their choice of URL was also somewhat unfortunate, given that there's another obvious way to parse it (ExpertSexChange). Should've probably used a dash! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:48 pm

It's a creative idea, but it puts too much content behind a pay wall. Maybe if it were a voluntary thing, that'd be better -- an button in each forum post you make to donate, that you can remove when you become a subscriber.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Kougar

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:50 pm

There's times I'd consider paying a little but that's only for a guaranteed correct answer that provides a solution to my problem. Which in itself is a veritable minefield, because then users have to expect a certain caliber of guaranteed results, but the person providing the answer also has to make sure the person asking doesn't take the answer and run. For TechReport I don't see it working out that well, and as others have said it'd drive more people away as well.

What I was thinking about was why doesn't TTR run more site-wide promos with sponsers? Maybe they do and I just don't remember it, but Anandtech often has a site-wide ad promotion going on that changes the look of the ad-spaces and the side columns on either side of the article/page. I'd assume that level of ad promotion brings in much better revenue than just a couple individual banners per page.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:35 pm

There are already websites which are dedicated to sharing knowledge, like the stack exchange network of sites. Probably not something the small TR community can realistically compete with

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
(ExpertSexChange). Should've probably used a dash! :lol:

Do you need a new pen?
http://www.PenisLand.net/

"We Specialize In Wood"
"Handling The Big Jobs, Too"
"Q: Can I provide my own wood? A: In most cases we can handle your wood."

chortle....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 pm

More money to "support TR"? You gotta be kidding, right? :roll: I really hope you are. This forum is already mostly dead (compared to communities at overclock.net or hardocp.com), doing such things would kill it off completely.
Last edited by JohnC on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
(ExpertSexChange). Should've probably used a dash! :lol:

Do you need a new pen?
http://www.PenisLand.net/

"We Specialize In Wood"
"Handling The Big Jobs, Too"
"Q: Can I provide my own wood? A: In most cases we can handle your wood."

chortle....

Not to mention, "Some of our skilled craftsman have been handling wood for over 25 years."

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:01 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

Yup. Mercifully, they don't seem to come up in Google search results very much any more. For them, falling off the first page of hits is probably akin to a mercy killing.

Their choice of URL was also somewhat unfortunate, given that there's another obvious way to parse it (ExpertSexChange). Should've probably used a dash! :lol:

Well, the dash is there, although Wikipedia says that it hasn't always been there.

I actually sometimes go to EE, answer questions to earn points, and ask questions to burn points. Never paid any money to them. The fact that they are a walled garden (do they even let Google etc. index their contents?) isn't really annoying to me. However, it would be very bad if a large number of forum sites took a similar approach, making the knowledge on the Web even more fragmented and difficult to find than it is now.
Last edited by Wirko on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:02 pm

JohnC wrote:
More money to "support TR"? You gotta be kidding, right? :roll: I really hope you are. This forum is already mostly dead (compared to communities at overclock.net or hardocp.com), doing such things would kill it off completely.

If you look at the survey results, you'll note that everyone seems to agree this is a bad idea.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Subscribe? Yes, I'll pay for that. But my answer to this question is no.

When I need tech answers I have Spiceworks to turn to. I help others, others help me, it's free. I want to provide my answers for free to others, just like I'd like to get free answers if I were to ask a question.

I value TR, and will pay to support it; but not in that way. Respectfully, I think it doesn't jive with the spirit of the TR community.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:19 am

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
I get my answers for free from here and other parts of the interwebs, and I'll donate my knowledge for free as well.

PERIOD...

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:57 pm

Bad idea.
I give my knowledge freely and most times the information is out there with a quick google (or yahoo or bing)
I say all 3 search engines as I have in my tasks at work had to use all 3 to find meaningful results.

zenlessyank
Gerbil

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:45 pm

I feel a disturbance in the Force.

I think this ship is heading off course.

Is this the work of a Trojan Horse?

Has someone given their soul to the gods of Norse?
MSI X58A-GD65, [email protected], EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.

Kougar

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:40 pm

zenlessyank wrote:
I feel a disturbance in the Force.

I think this ship is heading off course.

Is this the work of a Trojan Horse?

Has someone given their soul to the gods of Norse?

As long as they gave them to Thor instead of Loki, I'd be fine with that.