Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

That honeymoon didn't last long

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:38 pm

I grew up a devoted Windows user until my school got a bunch of MacBook Pros and gave them out to us teachers. I liked it enough that when it came time to give in and buy a smartphone I decided to get an iPhone 4. All of the things I liked about the MBP were present in the iPhone. The design was sleek and sturdy. The operating system was simple and it worked without any of the confusing magic required by Windows. My iPhone 4 was a great device and I reveled in the simplistic beauty that was the Apple ecosystem.

The problems started when I found MS Office for Mac to be a buggy mess. There are alternatives, but it's undeniably easier for everyone involved if documents are shareable without difficulty, and I couldn't find another office suite that read and wrote with 100% accuracy in the Office format most of my colleagues used. Unfortunate though that was, I carried on.

Several drops and submergings later my iPhone 4 needed a replacement, so I went with an iPhone 5. It's very similar to the 4 for the most part, but the experience is dulled by a few things. Taps and swipes don't always register the way I intend them, or they don't register at all. This doesn't happen often, but often enough to be a nuisance.

Some time ago I password protected my iPhone 4's backup, and though I wrote down the password, I couldn't seem to get it right. I thought that building a new computer with a new install of Windows and purchasing a new phone would leave the password protection behind, but lo, I still to this day can't backup my iPhone without that password -- which means, of course, that I have no backup of my iPhone.

In some apps I keep getting prompted for my iTunes password, such as the included music app. Even though I logged out of my iTunes account and removed it from the phone the way the Apple store rep told me, I still get prompted every time I bring up the app.

These problems are enough on their own, but the kicker is the support that Apple gives. To my encrypted backup problem, the Apple store reps all tell me to download a third party program to crack the password. This is bad advice for two reasons: firstly, I don't feel comfortable using a crack program developed by a third party on my phone that holds personal info, and secondly, it'd be impossible for a non-techie person to do this without lots of help; the whole point of Apple products is that they just work and don't need all the hoop jumping antics that Windows PCs require. The former is a real reason to be upset, but the former is disappointing; Apple products now need complicated getarounds, and that deteriorates its image in my mind.

The Apple store answer for my repeated password prompts: wipe your iPhone and reset everything! This advice gives me flashbacks to the days of Windows 95. Back then the only way to fix a problem was to wipe everything and start over, and it seems that's the answer Apple gives today for its products. My, how things have changed.

The iPhone is still a good handset, but I'm disappointed that it's no longer the perfect handset I expect from Apple. It has these annoying quirks and problems just like other companies' handsets. The perfection and attention to detail that Apple products once had is worn away.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: That honeymoon didn't last long

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:55 pm

So you're upset with Apple even though you refused to take the Apple tech's advice, and the root of the problem is that you forgot your password? :roll:

PROTIP: Use a password manager next time such as 1Password or LastPass.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 pm

No, he is upset that apple didn't keep copies of his keys so they could break the encryption for him any time he wanted.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm

All of the magic of Apple died when Steve Jobs did... he took it with him :P

All joking aside, the Apple eco system isn't something that I've ever been interested in. Its too simplified for my taste, and it still is. However you have to take into consideration the difference between the iPhone back during the 3rd-4th generation. It was meant to be a "premium" phone, and it was priced accordingly. Now that the Android eco-system has surpassed the iOS on many levels and is a direct competitor, and Apple has no "magical" things to provide, they have to be competitive on price. With that large price downshift and pushing to make it a product for the masses (which it wasn't originally) your going to have quality differences.

Take Volvo for instance.... they make X number of cars for each continent or country each year and that's it, and charge more for those vehicles. But with that you get quality and personal service unlike any other because they aren't over burdened trying to keep millions of consumers happy at the same time. They can focus on just making the best damn car within a certain price range and meeting that niche. Apple use to have a similar philosophy but not anymore.

Mo' customers mo' problems.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm

bthylafh wrote:
So you're upset with Apple even though you refused to take the Apple tech's advice

Are you really defending the "crack it yourself" or "just wipe your phone" advice? :o
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:31 pm

Welch wrote:
Take Volvo for instance.... they make X number of cars for each continent or country each year and that's it, and charge more for those vehicles. But with that you get quality and personal service unlike any other because they aren't over burdened trying to keep millions of consumers happy at the same time. They can focus on just making the best damn car within a certain price range and meeting that niche. Apple use to have a similar philosophy but not anymore.

Actually, that's a pretty bad analogy. Today's Volvos are not nearly as good and tanklike as the 240s and 740s of yore. We can thank Ford for that. New cars are filled with gizmos and aren't very reliable much like their German counterparts. I recall a few years back asking my mechanic's advice on purchasing a used S40 T5. His answer was a prompt "stay away, far far away". So I'd say they're far from making the "best damn car within certain price range" at this point.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:37 pm

bthylafh wrote:
So you're upset with Apple even though you refused to take the Apple tech's advice, and the root of the problem is that you forgot your password? :roll:

PROTIP: Use a password manager next time such as 1Password or LastPass.

Scrotos wrote:
No, he is upset that apple didn't keep copies of his keys so they could break the encryption for him any time he wanted.

Nope. Apple should have some kind of password recovery, like every other consumer product that requires a password. As it stands, Apple's product allows the user to inadvertently break functionality without providing a way to fix it. A third party hack is not an Apple fix, it's a hack.

Resetting the device may work; I do not claim otherwise. What I do say is that Apple made a product that is broken and there is no fix besides resetting it and hoping it doesn't happen again.

Think about it -- the only way to turn off this 'feature' is to reset the device, not toggle a switch or adjust a setting. Sure, resetting my work, but it's not an elegant solution befitting a quality product. My lamentation is that this is a far cry from the solid, quality products and service Apple once offered that didn't require such shenanigans.
Last edited by FireGryphon on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Waco wrote:
bthylafh wrote:
So you're upset with Apple even though you refused to take the Apple tech's advice

Are you really defending the "crack it yourself" or "just wipe your phone" advice? :o

Yup, I'd defend it too. He forgot his password, he did not take precautions to ensure that he had that password available later. What was the Apple person supposed to do? Remember his password or crack it for him?

What has happened here I suspect that he has apps purchased on his phone that were purchased or downloaded on more then one iTunes account. When iTunes tries to back it up, it is trying to back it with the proper iTunes account. I have a US and Canadian iTunes account (some apps are only available from the Canadian store, others exclusive to the US Store). When I back up my devices, and comes to a purchase that was not purchased under the account I am currently logged in as, it will prompt for the other account log in.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:45 pm

FireGryphon wrote:

Nope. Apple should have some kind of password recovery, like every other consumer product that requires a password.

They do.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5624

As it stands, Apple's product allows the user to inadvertently break functionality without providing a way to fix it.

Apple can't be expected to fix your memory.

A third party hack is not an Apple fix, it's a hack.

The fix is to wipe the phone since you cannot remember the password. They offered you an alternative solution that may work should you want to try on your own. They can't be expected to just take your word that you are [email protected].

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Deanjo wrote:
Waco wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

Yup, I'd defend it too. He forgot his password, he did not take precautions to ensure that he had that password available later. What was the Apple person supposed to do? Remember his password or crack it for him?

What has happened here I suspect that he has apps purchased on his phone that were purchased or downloaded on more then one iTunes account. When iTunes tries to back it up, it is trying to back it with the proper iTunes account. I have a US and Canadian iTunes account (some apps are only available from the Canadian store, others exclusive to the US Store). When I back up my devices, and comes to a purchase that was not purchased under the account I am currently logged in as, it will prompt for the other account log in.

Maybe I'm missing something, but every other service I have offers password recovery. Is it that far off to be puzzled when this service doesn't?

For the iTunes account, this is a single account, nothing fancy here. I'm happy to take suggestions, since three Apple store reps all told me the only way to turn off the feature was resetting the device.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Deanjo wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

Nope. Apple should have some kind of password recovery, like every other consumer product that requires a password.

They do.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5624

That's for my Apple ID. The password I need is my encypted backup password.

As it stands, Apple's product allows the user to inadvertently break functionality without providing a way to fix it.

Apple can't be expected to fix your memory.

Yes, and since everyone makes mistakes -- especially Joe Consumer -- it's a shocking that Apple wouldn't build in some sort of password recovery.

A third party hack is not an Apple fix, it's a hack.

The fix is to wipe the phone since you cannot remember the password. They offered you an alternative solution that may work should you want to try on your own. They can't be expected to just take your word that you are [email protected].

No; the fix to forgetting my encrypted backup password is to hack the phone with a third party Windows program that will hack the iPhone and find my password. The fix to stopping the Music app on my iPhone from constantly asking me for my iTunes password is to reset the device.
Last edited by FireGryphon on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:50 pm

FireGryphon wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but every other service I have offers password recovery. Is it that far off to be puzzled when this service doesn't?

For the iTunes account, this is a single account, nothing fancy here. I'm happy to take suggestions, since three Apple store reps all told me the only way to turn off the feature was resetting the device.

I guarantee you that you have either an app or music that were put on your phone with another iTunes login (did you maybe lend your phone to a friend so that he could install an app or song for you for example where he used his iTunes account instead of asking for your password). If you back up and watch the progress indicator as to what it is trying to back up when it prompts for the password. Try deleting that app and re-back up.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Welch wrote:
With that large price downshift and pushing to make it a product for the masses (which it wasn't originally) your going to have quality differences.

You've taken a software/user glitch and magically extended it into a strange rant about hardware quality/price/target audience. Well done.

Welch wrote:
Take Volvo for instance

No.

Welch wrote:

Apple has done a remarkably good job keeping the problems to a minimum. Apple stores provide excellent access to personal support that is unmatched in the industry. The only problem Apple has is counting their mo' money:

This is what happens when you sell a quality product at a price point that entices millions of customers every quarter.

End User

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
Welch wrote:

Actually, that's a pretty bad analogy. Today's Volvos are not nearly as good and tanklike as the 240s and 740s of yore. We can thank Ford for that. New cars are filled with gizmos and aren't very reliable much like their German counterparts. I recall a few years back asking my mechanic's advice on purchasing a used S40 T5. His answer was a prompt "stay away, far far away". So I'd say they're far from making the "best damn car within certain price range" at this point.

The S40 had nothing to do with Ford. The S40 was the sad result of a Volvo/Mitsubishi joint venture. The Mitsubishi variant was the Carisma.

Ford no longer owns Volvo. Volvo is now owned by Geely.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 pm

FireGryphon wrote:

NO. NO NO NO. :evil: If Apple can recover your forgotten password, then that password is stored insecurely and so can someone else. See this story for what can happen if Apple (or in this case Adobe) is stupid enough to do this:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/11 ... -crackers/

You're mad at Apple because of your own ignorance and forgetfulness.

Ask morphine and I guarantee you he'll tell you that your TR account password is nonrecoverable if you forget it; you'll have to reset the password, just like almost anywhere else.
Last edited by bthylafh on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Deanjo, I appreciate the help, but I want to make my problems more clear so that you can help me better:

Problem #1: I do not know the password to the encrypted backup that iTunes makes of my phone.
Apple Fix to Problem #1: Use a third party Windows program to hack the phone and recover the password

All of the items on my iPhone are either from offline (music) or apps that were purchased and installed by me on my iTunes account. There's no double account, and nothing that was installed by anyone else. Even though I'm certain my user files are not to blame here, the problem persisted even when my iPhone 5 was new and I had not transferred music onto it yet.

Problem #2: Whenever I load or switch back to the Music app, I am prompted for my iTunes password.
Apple Fix for PRoblem #2: Reset the device. The original fix was to log out of my iTunes account from inside the iTunes app, but that did not work.

I have very few MP3s on my phone, and none of them were purchased online, so there's no reason why the iTunes store needs to be contacted for any of them. I even tried entering my iTunes password a few times when prompted, but the password is never remembered and I keep getting asked over and over again.

You've taken a software/user glitch and magically extended it into a strange rant about hardware quality/price/target audience. Well done.

Thanks! I wouldn't think twice if this happened on my Windows computer, but it's surprising and disappointing to see Apple products -- that are traditionally user-proof -- succumb to them.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:03 pm

FireGryphon wrote:

What router offers a password recovery? None, you reset and start over.

If you forgot your encrypted backup password that is really your fault. You were also offered an option of saving that password in your keychain. If you don't remember it or select save in keychain then you really can't blame Apple for it.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:05 pm

bthylafh wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

NO. NO NO NO. :evil: If Apple can recover your forgotten password, then that password is stored insecurely and so can someone else. See this story for what can happen if Apple (or in this case Adobe) is stupid enough to do this:

Um... if you forget your bank's login info, you can recover it. That's much more important than an iPhone backup, and it has a mechanism built in for recovery.

In any case, the encryption backup isn't secret at all -- anyone with access to the device and a free, legally-obtainable third party Windows program can recover the encrypted password. I am well aware that I can recover it. I'm just shocked that Apple doesn't provide an official, user-friendly way to do it, and I must instead use a third party program. That's just sloppy.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Did you try deleting the iTunes backup and resetting your Apple account password from a different device? At this point your data is gone unless you swallow your pride (and it is simply pride) and use that third-party program to crack the backup's password.

Your expectation that Apple will make their software completely user-proof is ludicrous. I'm no Apple fan, but there's only so much you can do to balance the need for security and ease of use. If your private information was compromised because Apple did the things you expect (reversible password) you'd throw a fit about that too.
Hakkaa päälle!

End User

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Welch wrote:
Now that the Android eco-system has surpassed the iOS on many levels

Examples?

My Nexus 4/7 are both waiting for the official release of Google Play All Access up here in Canada.

Welch wrote:
and is a direct competitor,

Distant competitor.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Deanjo wrote:
What router offers a password recovery? None, you reset and start over.

If you forgot your encrypted backup password that is really your fault. You were also offered an option of saving that password in your keychain. If you don't remember it or select save in keychain then you really can't blame Apple for it.

Routers aren't in the same category of consumer goods as phones are. At any rate, as in my response in the above post, the password isn't gone forever -- it's clearly so poorly encrypted that a free, legally-obtainable third party program can recover it. My disappointment lies in the fact that Apple doesn't provide an official, user-friendly way to get it.

End User

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:08 pm

FireGryphon wrote:

Thanks! I wouldn't think twice if this happened on my Windows computer, but it's surprising and disappointing to see Apple products -- that are traditionally user-proof -- succumb to them.

It's a computer. Sh!!t happens. This is news?

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:10 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
bthylafh wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

Um... if you forget your bank's login info, you can recover it. That's much more important than an iPhone backup, and it has a mechanism built in for recovery.

Wrong. What you're doing with your bank password is not "recovery", it's resetting. You have to prove to the bank that you are who you say you are (either by visiting in person or by using a trusted email account) and then they'll reset your password and then require you to change it. This is not "recovery". Recovery implies that the bank knows what your password is, or can trivially get it.

In any case, the encryption backup isn't secret at all -- anyone with access to the device and a free, legally-obtainable third party Windows program can recover the encrypted password.

Also not recovery. This is what's known as cracking. Typically these types of programs will brute-force passwords against the encrypted blob and keep going until they guess right. It can take hours to months or more depending on how good your password was.

I am well aware that I can recover it. I'm just shocked that Apple doesn't provide an official, user-friendly way to do it, and I must instead use a third party program. That's just sloppy.

You're being completely unreasonable. Have you ever done any software development? You clearly don't have any understanding of computer security or encryption.
Hakkaa päälle!

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:13 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Did you try deleting the iTunes backup and resetting your Apple account password from a different device? At this point your data is gone unless you swallow your pride (and it is simply pride) and use that third-party program to crack the backup's password.

My old backup is not the issue, it's that iTunes won't let me backup my new iPhone at all until I enter the encrypted password. I'm not losing too much without access to my old backup, and there isn't anything on my iPhone that I'd need to backup that I can't periodically transfer off manually, so I'm not especially angry or upset. I'm just plain disappointed that such a simple thing can go so easily awry on an Apple product.

Your expectation that Apple will make their software completely user-proof is ludicrous. I'm no Apple fan, but there's only so much you can do to balance the need for security and ease of use. If your private information was compromised because Apple did the things you expect (reversible password) you'd throw a fit about that too.

1. The password is easily accessible with a third party program, so it's clearly not a tradeoff for more security
2. Realistically nothing will be completely user-proof, but this seems like something simple enough that in the Apple world, it should be.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm wasting my time by trying to reason with you.

I'll stop now because otherwise I'll be reduced to abuse.
Hakkaa päälle!

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Routers aren't in the same category of consumer goods as phones are. At any rate, as in my response in the above post, the password isn't gone forever -- it's clearly so poorly encrypted that a free, legally-obtainable third party program can recover it. My disappointment lies in the fact that Apple doesn't provide an official, user-friendly way to get it.

What is this program they recommend? I'd be very surprised it can hack AES-256bit encryption. Chances are that it tries to brute force with a word list and if you used any remotely secure password, chances are you won't be able to get anywhere.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:19 pm

bthylafh wrote:
You're being completely unreasonable. Have you ever done any software development? You clearly don't have any understanding of computer security or encryption.

Actually, I've done both regular software development and encryption as a specialty, but as a consumer it's not my place to worry about either of those.

You seem to be very angry with me for expecting certain steps of a user experience to be easier and more elegant. Is there a reason I shouldn't hold Apple to such a high standard?

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Deanjo wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
What is this program they recommend? I'd be very surprised it can hack AES-256bit encryption. Chances are that it tries to brute force with a word list and if you used any remotely secure password, chances are you won't be able to get anywhere.

I don't remember offhand, as I don't intend to use it, so didn't write it down. It will be inconvenient to manually backup things from my phone, but it makes me more comfortable than running such a program from Download.com.

I'm well-acquainted with the intricacies of encryption and the security tradeoffs there are, but my whole point here is that I'm incredulous that an Apple product is putting me through the same ridiculousness I remember from the early Win95 days, what with workarounds, reinstalling the OS, and using third party programs to perform basic functions (which is still a symptom of Windows, come to think of it...).

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:06 am

So....

You are mad because Apple's encryption works? :o

FireGryphon wrote:
My old backup is not the issue, it's that iTunes won't let me backup my new iPhone at all until I enter the encrypted password.

I don't really know that much about it, but isn't that at least possibly because by doing so you'd be overwriting the previous backup?

Because I don't even know if they offer versioned backups, or supposing they do, why you'd ever expect them to provide the granularity of multiple different backup encryption passwords. That might be a "feature" to you, but to 99% of the general public that kind of functionality would not only be entirely unnecessary, but a gaping security risk not to mention an easily stumbled upon potential disaster.

I mean, seriously. If they don't have a versioned backups, that means someone can just wipe your existing backup, intentionally or even unintentionally. Oops. :o

If they do, but allow multiple different passwords, people are EVEN MORE LIKELY TO FORGET THEM. Heck, they're likely to forget that they even made separate ones...

That's obviously not a reasonable trade to Apple, and it completely violates their UID principles.

FireGryphon wrote:
1. The password is easily accessible with a third party program, so it's clearly not a tradeoff for more security

FireGryphon wrote:
Actually, I've done both regular software development and encryption as a specialty, but as a consumer it's not my place to worry about either of those.

Yeah. No.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

iPhone OS Enterprise Deployment Guide wrote:
Device backups can be stored in encrypted format by selecting the Encrypt iPhone Backup option in the device summary pane of iTunes. Files are encrypted using AES128 with a 256-bit key

See, as bthylafh and Deanjo were both trying to tell you, that's not "easy." It's only "easy" IFF you picked a trivial password.

You definitely have never done anything with encryption, as the following statement of yours demonstrates:

FireGryphon wrote:
I don't remember offhand, as I don't intend to use it, so didn't write it down. It will be inconvenient to manually backup things from my phone, but it makes me more comfortable than running such a program from Download.com.

Deanjo clearly wasn't asking you to remember it, obviously you can't. He was asking you about it's relative level of complexity, something you should have some inkling about. Roughly how many characters was it? Did it use numbers? Punctuation? Special Characters? We're not asking what it is, we're asking you to describe its general form.

Unless you picked something incredibly trivial and thus "insecure" as Deanjo already said, that brute-force cracker will not "easily access" your backup. It will almost certainly never access your backup.

FireGryphon wrote:
2. Realistically nothing will be completely user-proof, but this seems like something simple enough that in the Apple world, it should be.

What you want Apple to do will either make their product more insecure or make it even more complex.

peartart
Gerbil

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:28 am

My old backup is not the issue, it's that iTunes won't let me backup my new iPhone at all until I enter the encrypted password. I'm not losing too much without access to my old backup, and there isn't anything on my iPhone that I'd need to backup that I can't periodically transfer off manually, so I'm not especially angry or upset. I'm just plain disappointed that such a simple thing can go so easily awry on an Apple product.

So you have no reason not to wipe your phone and you are just lazy/prefer whining?