Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Can a Wii U be installed into Wii peripherals?

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi guys:

I have a high end desktop pc but have young kids and so am thinking of skipping the PS4 and upgrading them from a wii to a wii u.

There are a few wii u's on sale via eBay that are for the console ONLY... No hookups and no gamepad. for like $100 or so.

Can I simply install the wii u into my exisitng wii setup and use JUST the regular controllers (ex NO gamepad)? IF so what will happen in games that "require or need the wii u gamepad?

Anyway, I think the wii u is a better deal for kids under 12.. Please advise.

tipoo
Gerbil First Class

Re: Can a Wii U be installed into Wii peripherals?

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:16 pm

The bulk of games will work with the wiimote as well, and many with the Pro controller. For just games, you'll be fine.

Do these units come with the power brick though? That you obviously can't swap with the wii though.

The AV cables work in both, but HDMI is better anyways.

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:26 am

I don't believe you can set up the Wii U without a Gamepad.

What games do they want that are Wii U exclusive?

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:05 am

There is zero reason to get a Wii U without a gamepad. I believe you need one in order to set it up, but that's the primary selling point of the console. I am not sure if the power brick will work between Wii and Wii U, either.

Otherwise, your Wii peripherals will work. You can use any HDMI cable, Wiimote, and the sensor bar is the same.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:24 am

superjawes is right. No gamepad, no console.

tipoo
Gerbil First Class

Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Hmm, I didn't consider having to set it up with the gamepad. But if you could get past that, main selling point or not, most games will work with the wiimote or pro controller.

Power bricks are definitely NOT interchangable, Wii U draws more power.

Also if the U and power brick are 100, you could still buy a gamepad seperately and still come under retail price.

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Can someone tell me where you can buy a Wii U game pad separately? As it doesn't work without the console, one is sold with every console, and more than one is not currently compatible per console it really doesn't make any sense.
X __________________________

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Looks like you can get them on eBay for 110-150 bucks. At that point, though, I'd buy the Wii U console since it comes with a couple games. $250 for just the hardware, or $299 for the hardware AND New SMB Wii U AND some Luigi-centric game.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen