Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Captain Ned...

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:11 pm

you'll all be dead soon.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:59 am

Damn...it was that long ago, I clearly remember cursing all of the mods here, especially Ned, for their efforts to keep everything in line, then I think the forum rules got a revamp shortly after if I remember right...though, apparently I'm getting old and my memory unreliable, 8 years ago...I would have said 3 off the top of my head.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:50 am

Valiant1 wrote:
Just before I left however I found that captain Ned was grinding my gears with locking every forum I found interesting. Every time something would start to get funny and make me want to come back more often to check it out I would find it locked and a rather annoyed sounding message from CN.

I know exactly what you're talking about. My advice: forget about this thread and just find a different community - there are plenty of them out there, with much more active participation from younger people with greater amount of knowledge and actual practical experience with all kind of modern computer hardware/software/peripherals/games and significantly better moderation. Trust me, that's the best option :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:13 am

ronch wrote:
Is it just me who finds it strange how someone who claims to have laid off the internet (and hence, TR as well) for a while comes back and his first post is practically a subtle attack or effort to decrease the power or authority of Captain Ned?

Yep, I was thinking precisely the same thing.

JohnC wrote:
Valiant1 wrote:
Just before I left however I found that captain Ned was grinding my gears with locking every forum I found interesting. Every time something would start to get funny and make me want to come back more often to check it out I would find it locked and a rather annoyed sounding message from CN.

I know exactly what you're talking about. My advice: forget about this thread and just find a different community - there are plenty of them out there, with much more active participation from younger people with greater amount of knowledge and actual practical experience with all kind of modern computer hardware/software/peripherals/games and significantly better moderation. Trust me, that's the best option :wink:

LOL :lol:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:08 am

JohnC wrote:
My advice: forget about this thread and just find a different community - there are plenty of them out there, with much more active participation from younger people with greater amount of knowledge and actual practical experience with all kind of modern computer hardware/software/peripherals/games and significantly better moderation. Trust me, that's the best option :wink:

If that's they you feel about it the door is ------------------->That way.

Seriously now we have turned this thread into public community bashing?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:13 am

tanker27 wrote:
JohnC wrote:
My advice: forget about this thread and just find a different community - there are plenty of them out there, with much more active participation from younger people with greater amount of knowledge and actual practical experience with all kind of modern computer hardware/software/peripherals/games and significantly better moderation. Trust me, that's the best option :wink:

I think he was being ironic/sarcastic, but I'm not 100%
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:21 am

idchafee wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
JohnC wrote:

I thought about inserting a sarcasm meme pic here for both tanker27 and idchafee but I'm too lazy, someone else do it. If it wasn't obvious from his post or wink emoticon, the fact that he's a gold subscriber should have been a hint :D

BIF

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:48 am

Well I got JohnC's humor. How could I get it and you guys not get it?

And the prior point still sticks in my craw. There I go sounding like a 90 year old. But still, something smells like a week-old mackerel here. Guy goes away for a couple years, then comes back and his first action is to post THIS? Why? To post/pre-absolve himself of wrongdoings committed or planned? To head off any potential moderation? He doesn't even let himself get settled in? And why was his only gripe seemingly about one of the moderator's actions "whenever a topic gets funny" or some such nonsense?

I smell a rotten fish in Denmark. :-? Damn, now I sound like a 100 year old.

I think somebody needs to be suspicious enough to research this one further, even if there's hesitation to admit to the researching.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 am

I imagine it's because he was participating in the thread that the cap'n closed, feeling like it's the same as it always was, and he had nothing to lose calling the captain out.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:58 pm

idchafee wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Not this time, no. It was an honest advice. I could post a dozen of PMs to further expand on the reason of my reply but I'd rather not to since it will not "fix" anything at all.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 pm

Then yeah, Tanker is right. Door is that way. Go make your own site, get several thousand readers, take the risk. Then you get to make the rules.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:24 pm

idchafee wrote:
Go make your own site, get several thousand readers, take the risk.

Been there, done that... It was fun for a while but I developed different interests over time ;-)

idchafee wrote:
Then you get to make the rules.

"Rules"? I was never discussing any "rules".

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 pm

I love the idea of Captain Ned menacing the community.

"Nice thread you've got here OP.....be a shame if anything were to happen to it..."

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

idchafee wrote:
Then yeah, Tanker is right. Door is that way. Go make your own site, get several thousand readers, take the risk. Then you get to make the rules.

You know, that's a simple solution, but is it really the best solution?

Multiple people have posted about moderator actions, both here in the forums and in the front page comments. Some comments have been made about the quality of the forums. If these are valid grievances, then I think it would be prudent to consider addressing them and having an open discussion on them. Shutting your eyes/ears and saying "GTFO" is not a solution, even if you personally disagree with the post. I would like to also mention that I didn't think the original post was juvenile. Your replies, though, seemed juvenile to me (mentioning defacation and "GTFO"). Captain Ned's reply clearly confirmed that the grievance was valid, albeit not exactly 'timely'. It was unnecessary to attack the OP with virtual excrement.

I also disagree with the notion that grievances must absolutely be voiced with PMs. Moderators are very valuable and valued volunteers, dedicating their time to serve the community. If someone in the community feels that moderator actions are not serving the community, or worse, are hurting the community, I think it's perfectly acceptable to voice this concern in a forum post to get others' opinions on the matter as long as it's done respectfully. After all, people's opinions vary, and how would an individual know if he/she is overreacting on the effect on the community without asking the community's opinion? Overall, I'm very much pro-discussion and value people's opinions.

Of course, these are just my opinions. I figured I would voice them anyway, as a member of the community. Of course, anyone can point out that I haven't posted much on the forums, so I'm not an important member of the community. But there's something to be said about trying to get new blood into the forums and how that would enhance the community. I have reasons not to post much in the forums, and hearing from others about heavy-handed moderator action isn't exactly helping me trying to come here more often.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 pm

My 2cents... Cap Ned seems to be doing a good job locking things when they get to be more bickering than discussion.

Also doing a great job of splitting Flaming threads from OP posts to keep some of the less offensive discussions goings.

Kudos to you and the rest of the mods.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:41 pm

you'll all be dead soon.

Could well be (name that reference!)

The forum got better post R&P changes from what I remember.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:09 pm

NeelyCam wrote:
I also disagree with the notion that grievances must absolutely be voiced with PMs. Moderators are very valuable and valued volunteers, dedicating their time to serve the community. If someone in the community feels that moderator actions are not serving the community, or worse, are hurting the community, I think it's perfectly acceptable to voice this concern in a forum post to get others' opinions on the matter as long as it's done respectfully. After all, people's opinions vary, and how would an individual know if he/she is overreacting on the effect on the community without asking the community's opinion? Overall, I'm very much pro-discussion and value people's opinions.

That view point is all well and fine, but it isn't the rules of this forum. It also holds some sort of ideal that this site and these forums are ruled by democracy, they are not. This site is owned and ruled by El Presidente Damage. :)

The moderators of this site are very reasonable, except to those who aren't. The latter category also happens to be amongst the loudest.

"Help! I'm being repressed."

That being said we tend to let them hang themselves rather than silence them. :-?

NeelyCam wrote:
But there's something to be said about trying to get new blood into the forums and how that would enhance the community.

New people venture in the forums and get help every day.

NeelyCam wrote:
I have reasons not to post much in the forums, and hearing from others about heavy-handed moderator action isn't exactly helping me trying to come here more often.

Bonjour! :)

As an aside, thinking the front page comments are a safer place will only lead to heartbreak one day. :(

Edit: Added smileys in attempt to lighten my unintended dour tone. Not sure it helped. Maybe I'm just a dour person. :(
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Aranarth wrote:
Personally I try to refrain to pissing off anyone who has a potato gun that can shoot the far out into the lake.

A good Michigan spud would break ribs even if it was shot from more than 50 feet away.... :D
(good times!)

And those spuds came straight from Meijer in town. My guess is 150 feet is still broken-rib range. If I ever get to the Mythbusters shop, I'll try it out on one of their pig carcasses.

I still sit nodding in approval that the barrel is rifled. That alone says something!
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:17 pm

This thread wouldn't have made it to the 3rd post back in the day, and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I'm all for people freely expressing their ideas and feelings, but calling out any individual by name in the title of a thread that's designed to complain about them is about as close to a personal attack as you can get without actually getting there.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Sweet! I was here for Leor's semi-annual post!

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 pm

*pops champagne*
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:05 pm

morphine wrote:
*pops champagne*

I thought you said "poops champagne". That's enough internet today.

credible
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:36 pm

BIF wrote:
Well I got JohnC's humor. How could I get it and you guys not get it?

And the prior point still sticks in my craw. There I go sounding like a 90 year old. But still, something smells like a week-old mackerel here. Guy goes away for a couple years, then comes back and his first action is to post THIS? Why? To post/pre-absolve himself of wrongdoings committed or planned? To head off any potential moderation? He doesn't even let himself get settled in? And why was his only gripe seemingly about one of the moderator's actions "whenever a topic gets funny" or some such nonsense?

I smell a rotten fish in Denmark. :-? Damn, now I sound like a 100 year old.

I think somebody needs to be suspicious enough to research this one further, even if there's hesitation to admit to the researching.

Nothing wrong at all with your thoughts, its exactly how I think as well.

Either that, or this individual has some issues.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:06 pm

captaintrav wrote:
morphine wrote:
*pops champagne*

I'd have my life made if I could do that :D
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Dposcorp

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:07 pm

captaintrav wrote:
morphine wrote:
*pops champagne*

Now that made me chuckle. I also thought about moving this entire thread into the invisible junk forum and then blaming it on CN. :)
I need to stop working midnights.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:32 pm

I stumbled in here looking for the Argument Clinic, but I think I found Abuse.

:wink:
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Stupid git.

:wink:
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:40 pm

And for the Python-challenged, that was the perfect response to LoneWolf15's post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:43 pm

'Tis but a scratch!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Oh, now you've gone and crossed the streams.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.