Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

data8504
Gerbil
Topic Author

Any Wing Commander music nuts out there?

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:04 pm

I do see WC topics pop up from time to time, so I know there are fellow wingnuts around. BUT, the specific point here is about the game series' music.

George Oldziey, the composer of the scores for WC3, 4, and Prophecy is doing a Kickstarter to get the original game music performed by an actual (read: not MIDI) orchestra. This is really exciting to me, and I'm hoping it is to some other people too...

Here's a link to the Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... ng-project

As of right now, it's got almost $20k raised with 300+ backers.

It's a part of PC gaming history, and is definitely one of my all-time favorite games, so I'm REALLY hoping it hits its threshold for fundraising. I just wanted to bring it up here in case it went unnoticed by would-be supporters...

Anyhow, back to work! -Matt

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Any Wing Commander music nuts out there?

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm doing this, WC's in-game music is inspiring. I regularly listen to a OST playlist with the WC1 "Returning" and WC4 "Borderworlds" themes.

Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:39 pm

saddly I never played WC :( though I love spacesims,
and I love game OST's, where can I get the original music in acceptable quality?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Bonusbartus wrote:
saddly I never played WC :( though I love spacesims,
and I love game OST's, where can I get the original music in acceptable quality?

Just get the original games at www.gog.com
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

prb123
Gerbil

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:47 pm

But...I want a new game with a new "orchestral recording of music from Wing Commander" included! I won't even complain if they use uncompressed files.

druidcent

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:55 pm

Check out Star Citizen.. I think one of the stretch goals that was hit was for a full orchestra to do the music..

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:18 pm

*Plays* classical Scramble track when heading out onto an errant. :D
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Man, I miss that saga. After playing most of them, bought (and still own) Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga, which had 1-4 and frame-limited all the early ones so you could play them on an uber-fast system without being shot out of the sky in ten seconds on a mission.

Bought Prophecy on release day, and somewhere I have the downloadable WC: Secret Ops episodes they made free after release.

About the only thing I can think of better than reviving Wing Commander would be to revive Freespace. I also bought Tachyon: The Fringe, half because of Bruce Campbell voicing it, and half because the gameplay was similar to Wing Commander. The only WC I didn't get to play was Privateer 2: The Darkening; somebody did an open-source remake of Privateer, so I got to play that.

http://privateer.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:09 pm

I loved playing Wing Commander 1-4 (I wasn't fond of Prophecy), and both Privateers. I'm really hoping Star Citizen can recapture that old magic, since there's zero chance of another Tie Fighter game ever.

That said, the WC music wasn't that memorable for me. I can whistle the themes from Monkey Island, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, most NES and Genesis games, etc... , but you could put a gun to my head, and I'd still draw a blank with the WC music.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Hz so good wrote:
I loved playing Wing Commander 1-4 (I wasn't fond of Prophecy), and both Privateers. I'm really hoping Star Citizen can recapture that old magic, since there's zero chance of another Tie Fighter game ever.

That said, the WC music wasn't that memorable for me. I can whistle the themes from Monkey Island, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, most NES and Genesis games, etc... , but you could put a gun to my head, and I'd still draw a blank with the WC music.

I don't believe Star Citizen will do that. When was the last time someone put a game together and said "Oh yeah, and by the way --you better find yourself a good flightstick"?

If I don't get to play like I'm flying, forget it. That's why as poorly coded as it was for multiplayer (due to using the MSN Gaming Zone) I freaking LOVED Crimson Skies. I was part of a virtual squadron, we used headsets and a third-party voice client (usually BattleZone but sometimes Roger Wilco) for comms before entering the game, and we had ourselves a blast. Eight of us against eight of somebody else in all-out furballs; it was the last game I was deeply into coop multiplayer on, enough that I about cried when they released the sequel as Xbox only. My squadron had Brits and Yanks and Aussies in it, and that made it even better.

*sniffle*

Anyhoo, I have lost hope that someone will do a good air or space combat sim --not a full flight simulator, but one with basic elevator and throttle control with stall characteristics, that uses a joystick with a POV hat. Don't think we'll see it again.

Now where did I put that copy of Freespace 2?
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:29 pm

I don't believe Star Citizen will do that. When was the last time someone put a game together and said "Oh yeah, and by the way --you better find yourself a good flightstick"?

If I don't get to play like I'm flying, forget it. That's why as poorly coded as it was for multiplayer (due to using the MSN Gaming Zone) I freaking LOVED Crimson Skies. I was part of a virtual squadron, we used headsets and a third-party voice client (usually BattleZone but sometimes Roger Wilco) for comms before entering the game, and we had ourselves a blast. Eight of us against eight of somebody else in all-out furballs; it was the last game I was deeply into coop multiplayer on, enough that I about cried when they released the sequel as Xbox only. My squadron had Brits and Yanks and Aussies in it, and that made it even better.

*sniffle*

Anyhoo, I have lost hope that someone will do a good air or space combat sim --not a full flight simulator, but one with basic elevator and throttle control with stall characteristics, that uses a joystick with a POV hat. Don't think we'll see it again.

Now where did I put that copy of Freespace 2?[/quote]

Logitech still makes some decent joysticks, and the hardcore crowd would most definitely use a HOTAS setup. Don't forget, there are still plenty of people that play LOMAC, DCS Black Shark, and A10C, among other sims, and this would be right up their alley, depending on the combat physics.

I'm really hoping (I've been avoiding all press on this one) that it's an organic galactic system, with all sorts of back and forth wars occuring in real time across servers, but would also allow for a career type "single player mode".

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:43 am

why is there zero chance for another tie fighter game? now that disney owns the license, anything is possible. if star citizen and elite: dangerous do well, I'm sure there would be pressure from investors or some department for a cash-in by resurrecting the venerable tie fighter series. they're already doing battefront.

druidcent

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Hz so good wrote:

*sniffle*

Logitech still makes some decent joysticks, and the hardcore crowd would most definitely use a HOTAS setup. Don't forget, there are still plenty of people that play LOMAC, DCS Black Shark, and A10C, among other sims, and this would be right up their alley, depending on the combat physics.

I'm really hoping (I've been avoiding all press on this one) that it's an organic galactic system, with all sorts of back and forth wars occuring in real time across servers, but would also allow for a career type "single player mode".

I've been an avid follower of the game since the KS campaign. From what I understand it's supposed to be a "single" persistent universe... with a single player campaign to get started (with 100+ missions).. The FAQ on the site is pretty good, so you can avoid the press and get the info from the horses mouth.. I'd avoid the forums unless you are a glutton for punishment..

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:13 pm

fhohj wrote:
why is there zero chance for another tie fighter game? now that disney owns the license, anything is possible. if star citizen and elite: dangerous do well, I'm sure there would be pressure from investors or some department for a cash-in by resurrecting the venerable tie fighter series. they're already doing battefront.

I have serious doubts that Disney would hire someone to do a Tie Fighter sim, when they're too busy focusing on milking Clone Wars, and the new trilogy they're gearing up for.

And don't hold you breath for any new Indiana Jones game, anytime soon.

Such a shame, disney is basically just sitting on so many great IPs, just like whoever owns all the rights to Sierra Online and Origins classic IPs.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:19 pm

druidcent wrote:

I've been an avid follower of the game since the KS campaign. From what I understand it's supposed to be a "single" persistent universe... with a single player campaign to get started (with 100+ missions).. The FAQ on the site is pretty good, so you can avoid the press and get the info from the horses mouth.. I'd avoid the forums unless you are a glutton for punishment..

*drool* SC sounds like everything I want in a space sim (and is danger of being overpromised/underdelivered like Fable 1). I'm also looking forward to whatever that space game for the PS4 is. The one where you can be swimming in an ocean teeming with alien sealife, then climb out, get into your spaceship, and take off thru the atmosphere, headed to another planet around some distant star.

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Hz so good wrote:
fhohj wrote:

I have serious doubts that Disney would hire someone to do a Tie Fighter sim, when they're too busy focusing on milking Clone Wars, and the new trilogy they're gearing up for.

And don't hold you breath for any new Indiana Jones game, anytime soon.

Such a shame, disney is basically just sitting on so many great IPs, just like whoever owns all the rights to Sierra Online and Origins classic IPs.

yeah you might be right. I'll do you one better, though. A game I really want them to make sequel to that they probably won't is Star Wars Episode 1 Racer.

Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:25 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
Hz so good wrote:

I do hope you have checked out http://www.hard-light.net ? as they are continuously improving the old freespace 2 engine and assets to run great on the latest machine ;)