Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Hello from a long lost Geekygirl

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:08 am

Hello!

How have all my favorite geeks been? It has been forever since I was here...hopefully some of you still remember me! There for a time I was one of the rare girls actively on this forum.

I am so far behind on knowing all the computer latest and greatest...a lot has happened since I have been here. Sadly not so much good stuff either...a car accident....two back surgeries...one resulting in a head injury when I was dropped in the OR....well and more health issues that I don't want to bore you with.

I just wanted to pop my head in, wave and say hello!
NEW SYSTEM DETAILS: i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz |16 GB RAM| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 | Solid State HDD | 1 TB HDD | and numerous external drives

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Hello from a long lost Geekygirl

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 am

Wow, sorry to hear about all the trouble you've been having. Welcome back!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 am

Glad to see you back and I hope you've fully recovered.

That said, the geeks here (tautology?) will see "dropped in the OR" and will clamor for the details. It's just the way we are.

In a '70's vein, Keep On Truckin'
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

killadark
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:21 am

Dropped in the OR 8/
Ur kidding right when did hospitals start to be this reckless for handling patients
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Hmm....

In the geek world, a girl walking into a (sometimes overly-male) crowd, talking about her life in a way that would draw us all in, and then saying "I don't want to bore you" tends to lead to a relatively high degree of curiosity, even among those of us who don't know you.

First of all, I hope you haven't lost your sense of "geeky", even if it's a little dated. There's always time to catch up.

Second of all, now that most of us are probably curious or intrigued, if you want to talk more about where you've been and what's been going on in your life, I'm sure you'll find plenty interested.

Finally, I'm sure others might point out (but let me be the first), the TR Annual BBQ in Michigan is only a season away --if you could find your way here, you'd get a chance to meet a lot of folks who know you, and some who don't but would be happy to make your acquaintance.

Welcome back.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Buzzard44
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Hmmm...exactly how out of the loop have you been?

Quick recap on what's happened since 2006:

In the x86 world:
K8 was so successful that AMD took over the vast amount of marketshare. Intel responded with nehalem, which totally flopped. After trying another iteration, Intel finally gave up after their flagship i7-2600k was plagued with horrible reviews, and went back to branding the Pentium processors as their top shelf items. Still, they never caught up, and Bulldozer saw AMD becoming the high-margin, high-performance, energy-efficient x86 developer. They were so successful they spun off their fabs into Global Foundaries after their share price took off, leaving investors unable to afford the high priced shares.

In the graphics world:
NVidia and AMD both experienced a huge customer backlash about rebranding, forcing NVidia to make a public announcement that it would no longer rebrand any of its chips. This caused such a clamor among enthusiasts to go to green team that AMD soon followed suit.

In the storage world:
After techreport's in-depth study, it turns out that SSDs have a very small number of write-erase cycles, and became unfeasible as the process tech scaled lower. SSDs were phased out before they ever hit a dollar per gigabyte, causing much yawning to continue to this very day. As you might have expected, this did not impress Krogoth.

In the gaming world:
A slow but steady decline in sales by big name publishers caused the industry to realize that consumers aren't interested in "new" games with the same gameplay and only marginally improved graphics. After a brief and successful flirt with introducing new gameplay dynamics, it was decided that it was easier to just add large amounts of uncompressed audio to games, while still driving high sales.

Yep, that about sums it up. No need to really dig deeper into any of that.
Core i7-990X, 12 GB DDR3, 500GB BX100 SSD, 2x GTX 590s, 5x 2TB WD Greens, 1x 4TB WD Black

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Buzzard44 wrote:

That was fantastic!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:47 pm

NeelyCam wrote:
That was fantastic!
As in... rubbish, hogwash, nonsense, bunk, guff, moonshine, flim-flam, bosh, poppycock, hokum, posh, hooey, malarkey, baloney, or bunkum.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:18 pm

HOPEFULLY YOU WEREN'T GONE SO LONG YOU MISSED THE KING.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Welcome back Geek,

Well to really let you know how much you are out of date would be to let us know your current CPU rigs ....since you probably have a bit of money coming to you from being dropped on your head in the OR.

I imagine a new rig is probably in order for you and you know everyone here will be more then happy to point you in the right direction.

If money is a problem I am sure a parts collection could be arraigned if you need to piece together a PC, I for one have 2 EVGA GTX 560ti SUPECLOCKED cards that run pretty darn good in SLI along with a socket 1155 g530 dual core CPU I would be willing to part with if the need is great enough. PM me if interested.

On top of everything I hope you have a speedy recovery.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:44 pm

WB

wow, dropped in the OR

i hope you sued

get well

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Congrats on coming back to TR. A lot has changed since 06.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Welcome back! I'm glad you're doing well, but it sucks you've had such a hard time. Hope to see 'ya pokin' around here regularly again.

Buzzard44 wrote:

In the x86 world:
K8 was so successful that AMD took over the vast amount of marketshare. Intel responded with nehalem, which totally flopped. After trying another iteration, Intel finally gave up after their flagship i7-2600k was plagued with horrible reviews, and went back to branding the Pentium processors as their top shelf items. Still, they never caught up, and Bulldozer saw AMD becoming the high-margin, high-performance, energy-efficient x86 developer. They were so successful they spun off their fabs into Global Foundaries after their share price took off, leaving investors unable to afford the high priced shares.

In the graphics world:
NVidia and AMD both experienced a huge customer backlash about rebranding, forcing NVidia to make a public announcement that it would no longer rebrand any of its chips. This caused such a clamor among enthusiasts to go to green team that AMD soon followed suit.

In the storage world:
After techreport's in-depth study, it turns out that SSDs have a very small number of write-erase cycles, and became unfeasible as the process tech scaled lower. SSDs were phased out before they ever hit a dollar per gigabyte, causing much yawning to continue to this very day. As you might have expected, this did not impress Krogoth.

In the gaming world:
A slow but steady decline in sales by big name publishers caused the industry to realize that consumers aren't interested in "new" games with the same gameplay and only marginally improved graphics. After a brief and successful flirt with introducing new gameplay dynamics, it was decided that it was easier to just add large amounts of uncompressed audio to games, while still driving high sales.

This is hilarious, but please note that Buzzard is joking. Nearly everything he wrote is the opposite of reality :)
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Welcome back! I'm glad you're doing well, but it sucks you've had such a hard time. Hope to see 'ya pokin' around here regularly again.

Buzzard44 wrote:

In the x86 world:

In the graphics world:

In the storage world:

In the gaming world:

This is hilarious, but please note that Buzzard is joking. Nearly everything he wrote is the opposite of reality :)

I can summarize all of that (joking or otherwise) in one sentence, only on TR:
Krogoth is still not impressed.

:lol:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:46 am

Except they did actually add large amounts of uncompressed audio files.

Oh and he forgot to mention the part where iTunes current version runs flawlessly and as resource efficient as the MAC version on Windows.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 am

ok so this is how it goes....

I was in really bad car accident...a 19 year girl driving her mom's SUV while texting and driving 55 mph ran a red light and hit the van I was driving..with my sister and mom in the car too. I endured the worst of the of the injuries...my sister got a broken ankle and my mom walked away with more then she will admit, which was "nothing". Because well she is the best kind of mom and is more worried about her two girls. And for me...well I broke my right foot...and the brake pedal...had injuries from the seat belt...my seat released from the latches and I was thrown into the dash board..causing injuries in both knees and back.

so I go in fro back surgery #1....L4-L5 lumbar fusion with metal on both sides and a few screws. I wake up and have horrible pain in my right leg...before surgery only having pain in my left....
come to find out that all that metal work was too much pressure on L3-L4...so 8 weeks later...back to the OR....
back surgery #2....go to sleep with no head pain...no cut in my head...no blood in my hair...but wake up with it all....keep telling the docs and nurses how much my head hurts...my mom keeps telling them how out of it I am...the supposed ones with the medical degrees say it is just the pain meds...which were the exact pain meds and levels I had 8 weeks before, in the same hospital and was more then coherent, not sleeping...and well no head pain. So while in the hospital..more issues come up...I am coughing up a lung...I guess that is why we were given 2...had blood in my urine...which the nurses said was from being catheterized. So I get released from the hospital...go home take a shower...all this blood comes from my hair...so I got to my doctor...he sees the the cut in my head..but oh forgets to mark it in his records...and treats the boatload of other problems.

So because the head injury wasn't treated at the time of the event, and because they put me on pain meds right away, I end up getting something called post concussion syndrome..which has taken the last ummm, 4 years to finally get rid of.

No I am not rich...there is no record of the OR accident...and my records while admitted in the hospital showed I had a "slight headache". I go to so many doctors to try to get help and what do they say..."well without an accident report, i don't believe that happened and hospitals have to report such events so obviously it didn't happen" OK Jackass..then treat the head pain anyway...I was like A before the surgery and and now B after...so just treat the head pain..which is OMG so unbelievably painful especially with sound...someone cutting out coupons or typing on a keyboard sounded so freakin' loud to me..I can't even explain it. Seriously..how do you explain that someone cutting out a coupon feels like an earth shattering explosion to me with every cut! And if I move head too fast..better have a bucket close by.

Sadly..."I don't have a case"...since there are no reports and all doctors I have gone to for treatment have written down that i have headaches. Now let me clarify...there really is something different between a headache and head pain. I used to suffer from migraines...so I know how bad headaches can be but this was 1000 times worse than the worse migraine I have had...and the interesting thing is if the neuorologists would stop having me follow their finger with my eyes and listen to me...and hey maybe even actually touch me and examine my head, they would would find an egg-shaped swollen area on my head! Of course then some of those that actually did touch me..would then say how did they know it wasn't there before.

See for the average Sue or Joe with no other health problems...the story would be different....Even for somebody who has health issues. But I have a rare neurological condition for which I take 25 meds to keep me alive. So doctors see me coming and they become scared to touch to me, let alone actually do their job and help me.

OH and don't think I got a great settlement from the car accident either which is just not being settled...I am walking away with a whole 3K because just my luck...my back surgeon died from Mad Cow disease this year..before my lawyer ever deposed him so instead he deposes the doctor that confirmed my broken foot and he says that people...and I ....could have blown my disk by straining too much with a bowel movement. Just my luck.

And the girl who hit us...well she walked away with a $100 fine and because they didn't answer the phone and return the calls to their own insurance, which was safe auto, safe auto closed the case due to unresponsiveness!
NEW SYSTEM DETAILS: i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz |16 GB RAM| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 | Solid State HDD | 1 TB HDD | and numerous external drives

oldDummy
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:45 am

Hey Geekygirl, nice to meet you.
Welcome back.
Settle in, enjoy the content.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:28 am

Good to hear from you Geekygirl. :)

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am

Good to have you back, and man... er, woman, you were dealt a s**t hand.

Really wishing the best on your medical issues, by any rights you should have been paid about a million dollars for your trouble.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:52 am

I don't think I was here when you were, but welcome back anyway. It's strange coming back to a scene you left for a long time. PC hardware's changed a lot since those days when I first graduated college... Don't worry. You'll find lots of help and enthusiasm here. :D
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Welcome back Geek. While I didn't know you before, it's good to see old members return.

I read your last few years...rough. Only thing I can say is: don't let the rage eat you. It doesn't do any good and goes nowhere but towards destruction. Best of luck moving forward!