Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Hearthstone

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Damn you Blizzard for making another timesink!

I love this game!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Hearthstone

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:22 pm

You got teh beta key? Lucky you :cry:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:19 am

I wasted so much money on CCG's back in the day, so I am leery of this project. Though the wiki does say you can earn boosters while playing.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:19 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Though the wiki does say you can earn boosters while playing.

Yes you can. I've earned more 'gold' then real money spent, overall I spent an initial 20 bucks. The game is going to be ported to iPad which is cool too. There's a crafting component also.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Oh I forgot to add you also earn cards for 'leveling'. 1-10 you earn your classes basic cards after that you start earning class specific specials. Cards are also graded like loot in WOW, common = white, rares = Blue, epic = purple, legendary = gold.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:28 am

Sounds good. I guess release date might be next fall?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:19 am

I'm thinking sooner than that since they are in beta now. More like 1st quarter of 2014. If you havent already, goto your battle.net account and make sure you opt in beta, you might get an invite pretty quick.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:44 am

I'm really enjoying the Hearthstone release. I wonder if Death Knight and Monk decks will be in an expansion? I played some ranked games this weekend and I can see that some people are really spending some money. I got pwned by a couple decks because of epic and legendary cards.

I think I like the Arena format best because it's more of a draft format. I have enjoyed this game more than any new game in 5 years, easily.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:52 am

You can craft or earn those cards as well as spend money buying packs. In Beta I did spend 20 bucks but that's it. I did this in order to craft some cards.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 am

I spent $10 so far. I have to be careful not to repeat mistakes of my youth, where I spent way too much on Magic: The Gathering.

I wish they had more than one quest a day, since that's an easy way to earn gold. Also, annoying that arena costs 150 gold or $2. But I guess I can earn that much every 3 days or less.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Ugh.. I need to go in and rebuild all my decks.. I wasn't able to play for a couple months and my decks which use to win 50/50 are getting consistently crushed...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:19 pm

I've been playing since November and it's a huge pile of fun. I haven't spent a penny, I just put every piece of gold I get into arena tickets. Those I can reliably turn into 2-3 wins right now (which means I'm still winning less than half the time, so I'm not all that great) so I can get a key. That seems to net me some decent stuff.

For new people, the first thing you should do is get all the other achievements you can (level up all the classes to 10, do stuff against the AI, and so on), because that does 3 things:

1.) It builds up the common decks for every class, which when playing unranked can still win you a lot of games
2.) It gets you used to the game by playing against an AI player for a few hours while you level up
3.) It gets you like 1000 gold so once you figure out how the game works you'll be more prepared for your first steps into the arena.

One thing I wish I'd done is not go to the arena right away - I lost all 3 games and didn't get poop out of it. I've gotten better since then.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:09 pm

I got 5 wins in Arena on my first try...guess beginner's luck.

For rated games I made it to rank 19 then started getting obliterated. So I'm enjoying casual and will save up some gold to get back in Arena.

I can't believe they have a Leroy Jenkins minion.

David

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I spent $10 so far. I have to be careful not to repeat mistakes of my youth, where I spent way too much on Magic: The Gathering.

I wish they had more than one quest a day, since that's an easy way to earn gold. Also, annoying that arena costs 150 gold or $2. But I guess I can earn that much every 3 days or less.

Having had the same issues as a lad I limit myself to a monthly max of a $3 booster purchase. Sure it's more in the long run, but it keeps me from pooping out a ton of money at once. Also, I usually don't even spend that $3.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:22 pm

I just played against someone who put a lot of money into this game. lol I don't know what was still left in his deck, but he played Ysera, Ancient of War, two Force of Nature cards. What's weird is that he was playing unranked games. You'd think if you were going to twink out a deck like that you'd want to climb the ladder.

Not a complaint, jsut amused at how much a.) luck and/or money you need to get those in packs or b.) money you ahve to put into packs to get that kind of dust.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:16 pm

He could have just been testing a deck and not wanting to affect his ranking with an untested, potentially terrible deck?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:12 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I just played against someone who put a lot of money into this game. lol I don't know what was still left in his deck, but he played Ysera, Ancient of War, two Force of Nature cards.

I have two Ysera's and four Ancients and three FoNs all from boosters and all from beta. Assuming they didn't adjust drop rate from boosters from beta to live I dont think its that hard.

In fact I think there are only a handful of cards that I dont have dupes for and I am probably only missing 5 cards out of the album.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:49 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
He could have just been testing a deck and not wanting to affect his ranking with an untested, potentially terrible deck?

Probably but he kicked my ass. :lol:

tanker27 you must be way better at this game than I am, if you've gotten enough packs to fill out the entire set without spending money. I've gotten some OK rewards from the arena (you only have to win 2-3 times to get your 150 gold back in the form of booster packs and whatever else, and my best arena showing was 4 wins) and I'm way short of having everything. I disenchanted a couple of gold-epic cards I got out of packs and built up a couple decent low-cost decks for Paladin and Rogue. Those are my two favorite classes to play.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:30 am

I played closed beta heavily after the last wipe. They didnt wipe accounts after that, so thats why I almost have a full catalog. For full disclosure I spent 20 bucks in beta just so I had cards to disenchant and craft with. I kept what was good, useful, and missing and disenchanted the rest and crafted most. After that I just played the weekly and daily quests for extra gold to buy packs.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 am

I was only able to get 5 wins in arena once more in maybe 7 or 8 tries. I think my mana curve for the cards I select may be slightly off. And it seems the nature of the game that there is no perfect deck which can eliminate randomness.

And I still find myself making a few dumb mistakes from time to time.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:47 pm

I find that decks that are stacked with 1s, 2, and 3s are the best bang for your buck. In fact when I build decks out I almost completely avoid 5s and 6s. The game is all about synergy. Take for instance the Shaman Murloc deck; Murlocs are all 1s and 2s. Throw a lot of them out there and keep throwing them until round five and then throw out a Bloodlust card (Which is a 5) and those 1s and 2s become devastating.

Same goes for the Questing Adventurer, he gains +1/1 everytime a card is played, pump out 1s and 2s and you'll find you QA at 6/6 in no time.

Of course there are counters to all of these, like a Rogue or Lock control deck. But it all a game of chance. :wink:

FWIW most of my wins come from Paladin, Mage, Shaman decks. I also have a druid healing deck that I rarely play but it wins. The gist of that deck is to out heal the opponent.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Yeah I just played against this hilariously annoying Merloc-based Warlock that just nickled-and-dimed me to death. I think it was 100% Merlocs until he had to choose something else, and then he picked cards that let him draw more cards.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:57 am

OK so like the tablet version is starting to become available...iOS in certain parts of the world now, presumably with the rest on the way: http://www.gamershell.com/news_162479.html

I'm already hooked as it is. :lol:

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:54 am

Some of the common annoyingly effective decks:

Priest with Lightspawn and double minion health = 10/10 minion.
Warlock/Murloc
Hunter - snake basket and summon the hounds with Starving Buzzard.
Rogue with Auctioneer, spamming 0 cost spells for tons of card drawing.
Shaman totems/bloodlust, overload spells for really fast damage.

Even casual is pretty wrecked now. I see people with multiple legendaries and epics in play in "Casual."

I still enjoy it, just wish I could get higher in the ranks. There's a lot of players out there better than me or with more cards than me.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:16 pm

I do the snakes, hounds, and buzzard combo. Almost never hurting for cards. Also two scavenging hyenas so when I lose my snakes/hounds, it'll gain power.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:21 pm

What drives me nuts is when you have 2 copies of a key card and can't draw it at all going through half or over half your deck.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:40 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Even casual is pretty wrecked now. I see people with multiple legendaries and epics in play in "Casual."

Yeah I griped about that earlier in the thread. "Deck testing" was the explanation I got, but man...I think a lot of people are just trolling with some of the ridiculous things I see.

I built a Murloc/Warlock deck after I lost to a couple of them. After 3 people in 4 casual games quit after I played the first one I felt kind of guilty. Haven't touched it since.

superjawes

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:45 pm

Can't they measure "average deck level" or something? It would make a lot more sense to stick people with similar deck powers in the same match.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:29 am

Anyone besides me having trouble with Shaman decks? They just seem so fast. I hate Mana Tide totem!

Priest mind control deck is also really nasty if they have the epic shadow priest cards. 3 or 4 mind control cards then. Shadow Madness, Shadow Priest (forget the name) and of course 10 cost Mind Control. And sometimes they use the Mind Control Tech as well.

I scrapped all my decks except 3 which can win ranked once in a while. Warlock, Rogue, Hunter. I still can't get above rank 18 and stay there.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:40 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I scrapped all my decks except 3 which can win ranked once in a while. Warlock, Rogue, Hunter. I still can't get above rank 18 and stay there.

This is where I am, too. I'm at 16 right now, but that's because I got on a bit of a roll, made it up to 15, and then lost a few. Normally I hover from 19-17. I have a Paladin, a Rogue, and a Mage that I made yesterday because my daily quest was winning with a Mage. That last deck is not very good. I like playing Rogue the most. Some Preparation, some Shadowstep, a couple Sinister Strikes and then BAM an 18/18 Van Cleef. doesn't happen very often, though. Usually when I play him he's about 6/6 or 8/8. :lol: