Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Where To Find Good Artwork?

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:36 pm

At the risk of making myself look incredibly dumb, I've got a very basic question:
Where do people go to find good artwork?

I'm not talking about classical masterpieces, stuff by big names, or stuff of a certain style. I'm just looking for crazy/cool/unique art by amateur or relatively unknown artists that won't break the bank. As long as I like what I see, I don't much care. I did happen to find a couple cool things at Comicon last year (first time I'd been there), but the vast majority of the stuff didn't appeal to me (superheroes and such).

So where do you guys go to find your wall art? Should I be searching online for "art expos" or "art conventions"? If so, any in particular? How about a good place to look on a day-to-day basis?

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Where To Find Good Artwork?

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Go to local art galleries, art exhibits, art association shows, and other such under the radar places. Unless you are in an area completely devoid of culture, and where I am I would say that's not far off but I can still find these things with good art, you will be able to find some good original art that doesn't break the bank.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:18 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
Go to local art galleries, art exhibits, art association shows, and other such under the radar places. Unless you are in an area completely devoid of culture, and where I am I would say that's not far off but I can still find these things with good art, you will be able to find some good original art that doesn't break the bank.

Ditto:

Once the global warming-caused coldest winter in 102 years finally ends [/heavy sarcasm, Jane Curtin-style], most towns with any level of artsy people will have a "walk-around" just to celebrate the return of warm temperatures and to get people to buy their art.

Art is not always "art", and don't get hung up on things like "It's not a Picasso/Renoir/Alfred E. Neuman". Art is what you and yours agree is art. Others may disagree, but if you're confident in your decision, screw them.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:28 am

This may sound strange, but eBay has a large section of original artwork. The problem is that most of the artwork is terrible or cliche, so you have to have a critical eye to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:59 am

Surely beauty is in the eye of the beholder? If you see a piece that you like and you think is worth the money, what does it matter if it's unoriginal, cliched or if some snotty nosed critic doesn't like it?

On topic, you quite often see artwork in coffee shops and cafes for sale. It's probably worth having a look in those. Marketplaces too.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:02 am

If you live in NYC or close to it there is a woman who does some fantastic art in around 5-10 minutes with spray paint, some basic tools and some amazing tricks to make them look amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIgFAXcdVAI This is one of the many videos out there of her painting....now finding her is another story, perhaps some more googling.

Looks like I found some of her work on ebay...take a look http://www.ebay.com/bhp/spray-paint-art
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 am

I'd just suggest scouring Deviantart and other similar sites, finding stuff you like, then either buying prints from the artists, or high-resolutions download so you can roll your own at a print shop.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

trackerben

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 am

If you're not averse to non-originals you can order inexpensive reprints of famous works from many big-city museums, like NYC's Metropolitan Museum. Otherwise try garage sales, flea markets, open workshops, etc. Ask your more discerning neighbors, you might be surprised.

If this is all too ebay-ish for you, try going out with any artsy friends you have and hear them out.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:35 am

vargis14 wrote:
If you live in NYC or close to it there is a woman who does some fantastic art in around 5-10 minutes with spray paint, some basic tools and some amazing tricks to make them look amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIgFAXcdVAI This is one of the many videos out there of her painting....now finding her is another story, perhaps some more googling.

Uh, that's no woman. The street venue makes for an impressive show, although what is being done there is essentially a form of airbrush art. If a person likes that style, they'll get more hits by looking for shops and artists that specialize in airbrushing.

What made me cringe is that he was doing that five feet from a street curb, and there was a limo parked right behind him. That artist might find himself at break-even when the rental company decides to charge him for the detail shop's time and materials.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:06 pm

The Egg wrote:
At the risk of making myself look incredibly dumb, I've got a very basic question:
Where do people go to find good artwork?

I'm not talking about classical masterpieces, stuff by big names, or stuff of a certain style. I'm just looking for crazy/cool/unique art by amateur or relatively unknown artists that won't break the bank. As long as I like what I see, I don't much care. I did happen to find a couple cool things at Comicon last year (first time I'd been there), but the vast majority of the stuff didn't appeal to me (superheroes and such).

So where do you guys go to find your wall art? Should I be searching online for "art expos" or "art conventions"? If so, any in particular? How about a good place to look on a day-to-day basis?

My kids, basically free :)

Not from my kids, but you get the idea, so calm, and cheerful.
http://donttrashaz.com/images/KidsArtwo ... adilla.jpg
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:42 pm

ludi wrote:

What made me cringe is that he was doing that five feet from a street curb, and there was a limo parked right behind him. That artist might find himself at break-even when the rental company decides to charge him for the detail shop's time and materials.

I really do not think the atomized paint in the air is going to go around the artist fast enough to ruin the paint on the limo, I would think it would dry in the air before reaching it. Now spraying a can right at the car from 5 ft away I agree..but not deflected atomized paint...it would dry pretty quickly I would think. Even faster in dry cold air.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

The Egg
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've been hesitant to do much online, because artwork and such can appear very different in person. There are probably plenty of exhibits and shows around (I'm just outside Chicago), I just didn't really know where to begin looking for them. I also wanted to avoid walking in somewhere that all the artwork was 4-5 figures.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:44 pm

The Egg wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've been hesitant to do much online, because artwork and such can appear very different in person. There are probably plenty of exhibits and shows around (I'm just outside Chicago), I just didn't really know where to begin looking for them. I also wanted to avoid walking in somewhere that all the artwork was 4-5 figures.

Coffee shops were already mentioned, also contact your nearest college that specializes in art and graphic design, odds are they have student displays and competitions. Likewise at county fairs.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

morphine wrote:
I'd just suggest scouring Deviantart and other similar sites, finding stuff you like, then either buying prints from the artists, or high-resolutions download so you can roll your own at a print shop.

I second Deviant Tart. Granted, the noise floor is retardedly high (-65dbi, on a "good" day), but places like io9/gizmodo/sploid have linked to some amazing original pieces there.