Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Short password timeout in Comments

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32 pm

This is sort of off topic, but I exited and restarted my browser and didn't get logged out. *le sigh*

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:34 pm

That's a good thing, if you hit "remember me" :). Anyway, now you can see why this is frustrating to diagnose. Refer to my earlier post about using the dev server.

And once again for everyone - if posting in the forums, use only the test threads!
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:37 pm

morphine wrote:
That's a good thing, if you hit "remember me" :). Anyway, now you can see why this is frustrating to diagnose. Refer to my earlier post about using the dev server.

And once again for everyone - if posting in the forums, use only the test threads!

I'll get a look at it later tonight. Busy with kids right now. :)

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Okay guys, we've changed some phpBB settings that interfered with persitent logins being kept active. We hope that this is enough to fix the issue.

If anyone continues to be affected by this problem, please report. Thanks for your patience and your help debugging this.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:37 am

Guys, please report on whether this is fixed, before I start PM'ing everyeone :)

cobalt
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:29 pm

morphine wrote:
Guys, please report on whether this is fixed, before I start PM'ing everyeone :)

It's been behaving better for me. I was actually already logged in when I came here this morning, and clicking the subscription page didn't log me out. Of course, I also got off my lazy you-know-what and subscribed, but I doubt that affected anything.....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Today I'm not getting logged out constantly so maybe it's fixed.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:44 pm

It hasn't logged me out in days.

gecko575
Gerbil

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:48 pm

It's fixed for me. I've been logged in for two days now :)

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Good, good, keep that coming in :D

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:06 am

I'm back in IE today and not having any issues yet. I'll let you know if I start having issues and can repeat them.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:51 am

Superjawes, I'm still getting logged out pretty quickly. Since you made your changes, has the test procedure changed? In other words, what would you like me to do now to demonstrate the bug persists? Me just saying "I still get logged out" isn't likely enough to be helpful, I'd bet.

Edit: Get the name of the person to whom you're replying right, idiot. *sigh*
Edit2: No, really, spell his name right. *whack*

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:00 am

willmore wrote:
Edit: Get the name of the person to whom you're replying right, idiot. *sigh*
Edit2: No, really, spell his name right. *whack*

Haha. That extra "e" sneaks up on people :D

I've only had to log in once since I got back to IE (on my work machine). The only time I was really able to repeat results was when checking articles related to subscriptions like this one, and I don't know if it make any difference, but I usually recheck through the link that goes directly to the comments.

Otherwise, if you can repeat a "kickout" procedure, you really want to let someone like morphine know. I didn't change anything on my end.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 am

I haven't tried testing it on the test server but I can say that with the latest Firefox on Win8.1 the problem is still occurring on the standard server. It seems to log me out most of the time in a couple of hours. I've even noticed that shutting down Firefox and restarting will log me out. (Though I suppose it's possible that was just a coincidental match up with the time that seems to occur every few hours. It's definitely a bit annoying especially when I try and add a comment only to have to scroll back to the login menu to login and then find out where I wanted to add a comment again.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:48 am

nanoflower wrote:
I haven't tried testing it on the test server but I can say that with the latest Firefox on Win8.1 the problem is still occurring on the standard server. It seems to log me out most of the time in a couple of hours. I've even noticed that shutting down Firefox and restarting will log me out. (Though I suppose it's possible that was just a coincidental match up with the time that seems to occur every few hours. It's definitely a bit annoying especially when I try and add a comment only to have to scroll back to the login menu to login and then find out where I wanted to add a comment again.

Okay, are you using some sort of password management utility like LastPass? Because we had a case where a user was using that - LastPass was logging him in, but without "Remember me". So after a while, naturally, the user was logged out. Also keep in mind that permanent logins depend on cookies, so if you or any browser extension is blocking them, you won't stay logged in for more than the regular timeout (~30m-1hr). The fact that you're getting immediately logged out if you close FF tells me that the either cookies aren't sticking, or "Remember me" wasn't checked.

Other than that, we strongly believe that the problem is fixed on the server side now.

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Okay, just got logged out. I notice that the PHP cookies don't all share the same location info.
Having a Domain of ".techreport.com" are:
tr_view
__qca
phpbb3_(stuff) x3

Having a "Host" of "techreport.com" are:
PHPSESSID
style_cookie

It's this latter group that seemed to be the stuff that gets lost/corrupted.

Does this help?

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:48 pm

The location info doesn't matter. The important cookies here are the ones starting with phpbb3, since those are the ones that keep your permanent login.

The last time that you did log in to the site, you were absolutely sure that you checked "remember me", and that you're not using any browser extensions that can mess with logins like LastPass or cookie management stuff?

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:52 pm

I am not using any special password management nor cookie management. And, I am sure I clicked the 'remember me' button. Want me to clear cookies entirely and login again and do it all over again?

Edit: Am I the only one who, when they get a forum notification email from kevin goes all Despicable Me minion? Kevin!
Last edited by willmore on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Yes, please, this is odd. Pretty much everyone is reporting success.

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Okay, all tr cookies deleted. Policy set to "accept" all cookies from techreport.com. Log in from the comment section of an article with 'remember me' specifically checked.

Cookies look just like before. I guess we'll see. Though it's hard to prove a negative....

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 am

Okay, it happned again. First time I refresh this page this morning, the browser prompts me to login, but--and this is funny--my posts still had 'online' stamped across them. So, the BBS software though I was online at some level, but at another, it refused me.

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:55 am

And again. This time, though, the forum didn't think I was online. The difference was that I logged in the forum this time. Last time it was via a comment page.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:01 am

So this happens after a while, randomly, after closing and restarting the browser...?

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:21 am

In my case I always hit Remember Me and never use any form of password management. I just closed down Firefox and then brought it back up and was still logged in, so I guess I'm getting logged out based on some duration of time. Not sure how long it is but it can't be more than a few hours based on what I'm seeing.

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:31 pm

morphine wrote:
So this happens after a while, randomly, after closing and restarting the browser...?

Login status has persisted browser restart. I rarely restart my browser--pretty much only when new versions of FF come out or I'm forced to reboot for some other reason. Generally every few weeks.

One correlation I'm 90+% sure of is that the screen locked. I'm still trying to see if Firefox has any hooks into the X server to see when the screen locks as some kind of 'end session' signal. I don't think I've noticed it while I was logged in and active.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:17 pm

morphine wrote:

Seems to be the case for me. I was logged out in Chrome again today. I use Chrome pretty much all the time, but it doesn't happen every time I quit the browser.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:41 am

It just logged me out for the first time since last Friday. I don't think it had anything to do with closing & restarting the browser. I had the front page open in a tab that I didn't look at for hours, then I reloaded that tab and was logged out.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:34 pm

I guess it's back to spelunking code and logs for me.

If it's okay with your guys (people in this thread), tomorrow or so I may ask you to visit some specific data-gathering URLs. Also, thanks for everyone who has helped test and provide feedback.

Apologies for the incovenience, but this bug has been quite... elusive. I mean, we roll out a whole frickin' subscription system and yet... :evil:

willmore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:49 am

Any time you need it, morphine, just ask. I'm at your service.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:03 pm

I'm down to help.