Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Louis Royer XO. It's smooth and drips off my tongue like a divine syrup. Every time I drink this stuff I taste something different; this time it's a rich caramel flavor.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:39 pm

hhhoudini wrote:
http://www.okspring.com/porter/

A little to sweet for my taste. Think I'd rather have my usual;

http://mcauslan.com/en/beer-facts/?bran ... -en&id=446

Bedtime for bonzo soon.

joe

My god, that Oatmeal Stout looks spectacular!

rootbear
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

No, really.

Theresa N
Gerbil

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Mocha Java, strong coffee with good hot chocolate and half and half in it.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:29 am

I was recently gifted some sherried Islay single malts, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig Triple Wood. I've been sipping the Ardberg; overt peat as expected, but develops into a dark chocolate sweetness and then vaguely medicinal black licorice, thence into the classic Islay iodine/peat finish. Exceptionally smooth for 54.2% ABV; the alcohol bite is masked by the smoke.

I'm liking it. These sherry-cask whiskies are probably better Islay introductions than the normal varieties, e.g. Laphroaig's 10, which is like drinking an earthy campfire after inhaling a bit of sea spray.

I was also given a (1) can of Oskar Blues Brewery Ten Fidy Imperial Stout. I'm... intimidated.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:31 am

I had the stout last night with some Olive & Sinclair 75% chocolate (supporting locals, yo).

I'm not a beer person, but I liked it. Coated the mouth like a syrup. Chocolate was strong along with ovaltine-like malty flavor. Alcohol and a bit of medicinal taste on the finish.

Wouldn't do that often or with a meal, but certainly as an occasional dessert.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:15 am

http://www.hoodoobrew.com/

My new favorite brew spot. We have a few others that I've mentioned here before like the Silver Gulch. But most of their in house brewed stuff is very weak for my taste.

Hoodoo however hits the spot. They seem to focus more on German and Belgium style like beers which I find to be a bit more filling (except their Kolsch), heavier in flavor and just all around leave you feeling warm and fuzzy. I fell in love with this new brewery back in October with their Oktoberfest beer that sold out the first week of October!

Their current lineup (which I've tried all of :D )

German Kölsch (Very clean, refreshing and for me a great starter)
Taste: Crisp, Smooth, Fresh, European
German Malt, German Hops, German brewing process. Using the same
malt, hops, and process as a brewery in Cologne, Germany (where Kölsch
originates), we strived to replicate the style in every way possible.
ABV: 5.1% // IBU: 25 // OG: 11.9

Belgian Saison (Great flavor and the yeasty bit sticks with you between drinks)
Taste: Pepper, Lemon, Fresh
A traditional farmhouse ale, complex in style but easy to drink. Fruity
and spicy in aroma and flavor, with yummy earthy yeast tones. Dry, tart
finish.
ABV: 5.9% // IBU: 19 // OG: 13.05

English Mild (I could imagine sitting in an English pub downing one after another, enjoyed the roasted nutty after flavor)
Taste: Nutty, English, Sessionable
The HooDoo Mild is our take on an English-style bitter – a classic UK
session beer. Often called “sessionable” because of the ease of
consuming several in a single setting, ours is made with English Maris
Otter malt, is naturally carbonated, and drinks clean and crisp, with a
subtle complex malt flavor (that just might leave you craving more).
ABV: 4.1% // IBU: 15 // OG: 10.1

American IPA (While very bitter, it doesn't linger too long like some IPAs, very bright beer)
Taste: Floral, Citrus, Balanced
Our IPA has a juicy backbone of Northwest US pale and crystal malts. Big
floral and citrus hop aroma and flavor balance out the delicious malty
base.
ABV: 7.2% // IBU: 73 // OG: 16.5

Belgian Tripel (Wasn't nearly as sweet as I thought it would be, but VERY smooth. Didn't get a "pepper feel from it either, so I think this is one I'd have to try again. I had some of the wife's but not my own)
Taste: Bubblegum, Pepper, Dry
HooDoo Tripel is a strong, effervescent ale brewed in the Belgian tradition. One of the strongest styles of Belgian beer, Tripel is deceiving in its light color, and inviting with its aroma and candy-like sweetness. Made with only the finest European malts, fermentable sugars are also derived from an addition of Belgian Candi Sugar during the boil. Clean, dry finish.
ABV: 8.3% // IBU: 30 // OG: 18.1

HooDoo Stout (I've got a love/hate relationship with Stouts. They either are amazing or crap. This is the former without a doubt! The combination of creamy chocolaty coffee in one is something a lot of stouts go for, but few really pull it off. Distinguishing between the Coffee and Cocoa flavors was very noticeable for me. For me most stouts hit hard on the first drink and then mellow out, this did not. Also by the time stouts warm up I loose interest in finishing them, this was drinkable to the last drop.)
Taste: Creamy, Coffee, Chocolate
A cross between an Oatmeal and Cream stout, this beer is made with
dark roasted barley malts, flaked oats and milk sugar that lend it deep
milk chocolate and creamed coffee aromas and flavors.
ABV: 5.8% // IBU: 45 // OG: 15.5
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:04 pm

rootbear wrote:
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

No, really.

Me too, actually. Twinings Earl Grey... hot.
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Jambe wrote:
I was recently gifted some sherried Islay single malts, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig Triple Wood. I've been sipping the Ardberg; overt peat as expected, but develops into a dark chocolate sweetness and then vaguely medicinal black licorice, thence into the classic Islay iodine/peat finish. Exceptionally smooth for 54.2% ABV; the alcohol bite is masked by the smoke.

I'm liking it. These sherry-cask whiskies are probably better Islay introductions than the normal varieties, e.g. Laphroaig's 10, which is like drinking an earthy campfire after inhaling a bit of sea spray.

I was also given a (1) can of Oskar Blues Brewery Ten Fidy Imperial Stout. I'm... intimidated.

Heresy. The Macallan has has used that filthy practice for years and I avoid that crap.

Sure take yer fine Islay and corrupt it with ... sherry. How does that make any sense? Disgusting!

On another note I have and will name my ESO characters after fine whisky. PenGun Ardbeg has a fine ring.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:23 pm

British Navy Pusser's Rum. So far my favorite rum. Not sweet, not bitter; only pure chest hair-growing punch.

No wonder the British had such a successful navy. Imagine an entire fleet of ships, its burly seaman going into battle highly trained but completely hammered, with the promise of more liquor after a job well done. The swaying ships could dodge any enemy canon ball, and all hands would fearlessly confront the enemy without cracking under pressure!

Today, I sip it while cleaning the living room and hanging laundry, but it still tastes great :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:28 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
British Navy Pusser's Rum. So far my favorite rum. Not sweet, not bitter; only pure chest hair-growing punch.

The single-malt of rums. I've had the joy of visiting the distillery on Tortola, which at the time was at the Bitter End. Great rum, great people, and now I need to find my enameled Pusser's cup.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Picked up a bottle of it several years ago (on the Cap'n's recommendation), and thoroughly enjoyed it. Availability seems to be a bit spotty. Guess I need to hunt down another bottle sometime.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Just grabbed from FleaBay the enameled metal mug that I remember from much younger days since the original has somehow been spaced out of the airlock.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:35 pm

One of my wife's coworkers just send her home with a full bottle of Maker's Mark so that's 3what I'm drinking!
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:53 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
One of my wife's coworkers just send her home with a full bottle of Maker's Mark so that's 3what I'm drinking!

Successfully, it seems.

I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But for now, rest well and dream of large women.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 am

PenGun wrote:
Heresy. The Macallan has has used that filthy practice for years and I avoid that crap.

Sure take yer fine Islay and corrupt it with ... sherry. How does that make any sense? Disgusting!

It's delicious is what it is! Have at you, etc.

I had Delaware Phoenix Meadow of Love (heh) 4:1 last night. Cool to watch the louche (woo! storm in a glass!) and, well, floral/midsummer alfalfa field on the sniffer and great dryness and fennel on the tongue. A touch bitter in a good way.

Seek an absinthe if you like black licorice as sensible people do.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Allagash Black. Almost tastes like one of those chocolate stouts, but the flavor is flatter and simpler. This one's a winner.

EDIT: I'm noshing on a 7-year cheddar and it goes great with this beer.
Last edited by FireGryphon on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penn7
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Bulleit small batch rye

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:21 am

heya! i see beer has become more popular on this site with every year increasing!

so JBI, did you discover this stellar site yet to record all your cellar'd beers, its by far the coolest and easier to use!

here's mine, check it out: http://www.beercellar.me/cellar/thegleek

wanna trade for anything!? what chu got?

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Just got The Indiana Whiskey Co's Silver Sweet Corn Whiskey (not for sale outside of IN, apparently).

Aroma is impossible to pin down, not "what is all this stuff?" complex, but very weird. It's as though something in my past smelled just like this but I can't recall what it was. I was put off at first but I've since been really taken in by it; beguiling, this whiskey. Vaguely reminds me of hominy and silage.

On the ol' hydrostat: again, peculiar. I would say iodine but it's not quite that; not like Islay medicine, but in that vein. Mostly it's fire as befits our purple-tongued celestial expat. However, it genuinely finishes with a delightful sweetness. I was skeptical—I was told it has a "strange sweet finish that makes it worthwhile"—but it's really there. I'm not an experienced taster of anything, but this surprised me. The sweetness is quite pronounced and makes the whole drink worth it. I put a small ice cube in 2 oz and the sugar came up to party with the burn.

Good with Ghirardelli 86% chocolate, if you require extra bitterness in your life.

jabro
Gerbil

Fri May 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Lost Abbey "Judgement Day" ... pretty darn good.

stabgotham
Gerbil

Sat May 17, 2014 12:09 am

Great White......yum!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 17, 2014 9:38 am

jabro wrote:
Lost Abbey "Judgement Day" ... pretty darn good.

I don't think I've ever had a *bad* Lost Abbey beer. They're all at least decent, and some are fan-damn-tastic.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:57 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Phaleron
Gerbil

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:15 am

A belgian strawberry Lambic that I made.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Another Lighthouse 'Switchback'. It is $13 98 for 6, and a fine IPA. Continues to amaze me that these guys in Victoria BC can make a beer for as cheap as the swill that is everywhere, but heads and shoulders above it.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Knob Creek, room temp. It's good stuff.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Florida's Natural orange juice...

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:18 am

Cold-brew coffee, made using Cory Doctorow's method from one of the Little Brother books:
-----
Materials:
1x quart Mason jar
1x filter apparatus (our coffeemaker's filter basket, but I'm going to buy a big filter bag)[1]
1x bean grinding apparatus (my wife's Ninja blender's smallest cup)
Coffee beans or pre-ground coffee

Procedure:
If using whole beans, grind them coarsely so that the grounds are about the size of sea salt grains. Fill the Mason jar slightly less than 1/3 full of grounds (around 0.3 qt), fill the remainder with water. Cover and shake well, then place in refrigerator for around 11:40 to 12:30 hours.[2] Decant through filter apparatus and cut resulting concentrate 1:1 with tap water. Drink.

If using pre-ground coffee (suitable for standard drip coffeemaker) put about 7.4 fluid ounces of coffee grounds into Mason jar and fill remainder with water. Proceed as above.
-----
I'm pretty pleased with the resulting coffee.

[1] switching over to the method Doctorow uses now[3], because it's easier to clean up.
[2] My time. IIRC the book's recipe was "overnight".
[3] Similar to above, but using a 2L pitcher and a large nut milk bag as a filter; use 0.6L of coarse-ground beans inside filter bag and fill remainder of pitcher with water. Squeeze bag when done brewing to get as much concentrate out as possible, then cut 1:1.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:21 am

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2