Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

weather.gov not working in Firefox

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:37 am

Something bizarre is happening in Firefox: I can't search locations on weather.gov. When from within Firefox I try to do a zip code lookup on the site, I get the message: "Sorry, the location you searched for was not found. Please try another search." It's been doing this for about a week now, just about. The first few days I thought there might be a problem with the site, but just now I checked the site in Chrome, and it worked like a charm. I tried removing all of the 'weather.gov' cookies in Firefox but that did not help.

Is there anything else I can try? What could be wrong?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: weather.gov not working in Firefox

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 am

What version of Firefox? It works fine for me (Firefox 28.0).

Have you tried clearing your cache?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:57 am

Works on my end too, and I'm not even in the U.S. Using Firefox 28.0. I think 28.0 has fixed a lot of bugs/issues. Ditched 25.x and 26.x because of some annoying slowdowns but 28.0 works well enough that I ditched Chrome for it about a week or so ago.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:19 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Something bizarre is happening in Firefox: I can't search locations on weather.gov. When from within Firefox I try to do a zip code lookup on the site, I get the message: "Sorry, the location you searched for was not found. Please try another search." It's been doing this for about a week now, just about. The first few days I thought there might be a problem with the site, but just now I checked the site in Chrome, and it worked like a charm. I tried removing all of the 'weather.gov' cookies in Firefox but that did not help.

I was getting this too. Turns out that NoScript was blocking arcgis.com and not notifying me. I imagine that is what they are using to do the zipcode to lat/lon lookup and since it is blocked, all the locations come back "not found".

--SS

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:24 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

I was getting this too. Turns out that NoScript was blocking arcgis.com and not notifying me. I imagine that is what they are using to do the zipcode to lat/lon lookup and since it is blocked, all the locations come back "not found".

--SS

Bingo! Thanks for the help. How'd you figure it out?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:41 am

FireGryphon wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

--SS

Bingo! Thanks for the help. How'd you figure it out?

Figuring it was a javascript error of some sort, I turned on the web developer tools, cleared the log and hit submit. Something in that combination woke up NoScript and it let me know it was blocking argis.com. You could see the request to js.arggis.com in the log as well. It is apparently trying to load the Dojo toolkit in that request. Still, it would have taken a bit longer to find if NoScript hadn't woken up and let me know what was going on.

--SS