Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: dymt reloaded

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Even so, my one cab ride on the Kennedy from O'Hare to the Loop still tells me the train is safer.

Driving in DC is worse.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:01 pm

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... ?full=true

Damn, true (if only for a few hours) suspended animation. It's a whole lot easier to stitch up holes in major blood vessels/blood-filled organs (I'm lookin' at you, spleen) when there's no pumped flow. Experiment it is, but one that works in pigs and has good hopes for working with humans. Not that it would ever happen to me here in VT but I now need to add a section to my advanced care directive should I ever be so grievously wounded. If I'm going to croak anyways (the article talks of 7% survival rates under the usual surgery/treatment regimen), please use me to push the boundaries of medical science. It'd be my little gift to those who will eventually sail the stars.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm more for quality over quantity so I would much prefer they hasten my afterlife journey than spend a bunch of time and resources prolonging my vegetative state or eternal coma (maybe one where I was still aware but could not control my body). That's right, I'm selfish. :P

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:39 pm

five or six of us are having a drunk-assed debate about what character from Macbeth or Poe's stuff is most appropriate for a giant, angry, python. I'm going with either Annabell Lee or MacBeth (as in Lady Macbeth).
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:05 pm

From the "random things learned while looking up other things" file (i.e. a Wikipedia tangent):

The reason aluminum (aluminium for you non-US folk) foil has a shiny side and a dull side is that it is difficult to manufacture high volume roller mills with a sufficiently small gap to make a single sheet of foil. So aluminum foil is rolled two sheets at a time, then peeled apart prior to packaging. The shiny side is the side which was in contact with the roller, and the dull side is the side which was pressed against the other sheet of foil.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The reason aluminum (aluminium for you non-US folk) foil has a shiny side and a dull side is that it is difficult to manufacture high volume roller mills with a sufficiently small gap to make a single sheet of foil. So aluminum foil is rolled two sheets at a time, then peeled apart prior to packaging. The shiny side is the side which was in contact with the roller, and the dull side is the side which was pressed against the other sheet of foil.

And despite what much folklore will say, there's no difference in cooking food using either side.

And the proper UK-speak is Looneymum. :wink:

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:54 pm

So... slammed my left big toe in a door a few weeks ago. Hurt like the dickens for several days, but once it stopped hurting I figured it was a non-issue. Today I noticed that the toenail isn't really attached any more. Eeeeeeew... :-?

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:53 am

JBI wrote:

I must be retarded because I honestly never noticed the two sides were different. :o

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 am

10+ job applications filled out by me, and my wife's filled out another 8-10. No calls back :-? Conoco-Phillips, KBR, Valero, Chevron-Phillips....
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:10 am

bhtooefr wrote:
And now I'm caught back up on this thread. So my dad took me to this place in November, and this happened.

And then some bottling happened three weeks later. (Damn, I haven't been posting on here for a while.) Mmm, hefeweizen. (Enjoying one right now.)

Edit: Also, holy crap, I've been signed up here over a decade? :o

woo hoo. last page on this thread i read was #711 (out of 756) and i really don't care to go back and read every single post to catch up. 1 decade boofy! yay! me too, i think? :D

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:24 am

Sup dudes

I want to play this game from the 80s that I used to play on an amstrad cpc… I need some kinda emulator for it. Who's the gerbil to ask? >.>

I can supply LOTR stuff as payment!
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 am

annabel

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28 am

Helpful, thanks. Obviously I googled it too. Was looking more for someone with experience as to which is a good, non dodgy, has experience with it one. I just wanted some help as to which of the hundreds available to download I should download.

But nevermind, other gerbils have already helped.
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:54 pm

annabel! lol your location here is still set to edinburgh! update it to new zealand girl! how's pointy doing? whens the wedding date?

annabel

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Hey gleeky! Updated to wellington :D

He's just lovely, and he says you can be best man ;) no date set or anything like that! Silly.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:47 pm

So love buying appliances. Washer about to die, need new one. Brought in print of one wanted (Lowe's). Didn't have on floor but had big brother. Quick inspection came out OK. Sealed deal with sales dude; asked if wanted 5-year "protection plan". Said no, rung up. In Lowe's eco-system anything you buy in specialty areas gets rung up at front register, just give them phone number (landline, in book, who cares). Take good look at checkout screen (green-on-black old IBM terminal has its places), notice order doesn't have 5-year plan but has 3-year plan. Tell cashier didn't want any plan. Cashier takes a while and dude who sold washer is on way out for day and says "Oh, right, you didn't want that", tells cashier how to make it go away. Pretty sure dude unhappy with me. Screw him.

Just re-read (for the umpteenth time) David Palmer's "Emergence" and this is my attempt at the language.

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/boo ... 501-5.html

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:28 am

Navies with carriers often find themselves transiting large patches of ocean and the crew is bored. In such times there is a great tradition of the deck "spell-out", namely forcing everyone into their dress whites and doing college football halftime-style formations designed to be seen from above. While I'm not sure this is every single spell-out picture, it's clearly the vast majority.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... ilors.aspx

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Frankly, I'm just surprised that Canada has aircraft carriers.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:14 pm

Vrock wrote:
Frankly, I'm just surprised that Canada has aircraft carriers.

They did once, only when the UK was done with them. No more.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Navies with carriers often find themselves transiting large patches of ocean and the crew is bored. In such times there is a great tradition of the deck "spell-out", namely forcing everyone into their dress whites and doing college football halftime-style formations designed to be seen from above. While I'm not sure this is every single spell-out picture, it's clearly the vast majority.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... ilors.aspx

How does a former Navy man list that on his resume?

Retired CPO's resume wrote:
One of four individuals out of 5000 chosen to form the dot on the I in AMERICA.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Much time ago I had intimated about an embezzlement case I was working at a very small VT credit union. It's done and here's the press release from the US Attorney's Office:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/vt/news/201 ... inney.html

Here's local paper, but their metered paywall can be a bit twitchy:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/stor ... t/7739387/

The affidavit I spent a whole day working on with the FBI the day before we closed the place. Don't worry, it's a public document in a US criminal case, so I'm in no incipient trouble for posting same, but it tells so much more than the papers.

http://home.comcast.net/~captainned/BLAffidavit.pdf

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:04 am

You'd be surprised how common crap like that is. A few years back, the former treasurer of the BJCP (the non-profit that certifies beer judges, of which I am a member) pleaded guilty to mail fraud for embezzling from the organization: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Plea_Agreement.PDF

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:41 am

just brew it! wrote:
You'd be surprised how common crap like that is. A few years back, the former treasurer of the BJCP (the non-profit that certifies beer judges, of which I am a member) pleaded guilty to mail fraud for embezzling from the organization: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Plea_Agreement.PDF

Unfortunately it's all too common these days. Defense counsel explicitly argued for a shorter sentence (12-18 mos compared to gov't request of 51 mos) based on the current rash of middle-aged women 1st-time felons pleading guilty to embezzlement as somehow constituting a different class that should be treated differently in the sentencing guidelines. 'Twas an odd argument and one to which the judge gave little credence.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:55 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Unfortunately it's all too common these days. Defense counsel explicitly argued for a shorter sentence (12-18 mos compared to gov't request of 51 mos) based on the current rash of middle-aged women 1st-time felons pleading guilty to embezzlement as somehow constituting a different class that should be treated differently in the sentencing guidelines. 'Twas an odd argument and one to which the judge gave little credence.

Can we call this the "all the other soccer moms are doing it" defense? :lol:

OTOH, I suppose if we are giving shorter sentences to violent felons because the prisons are overcrowded with felons convicted of white-collar crimes, there may be some justification.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 am

just brew it! wrote:
OTOH, I suppose if we are giving shorter sentences to violent felons because the prisons are overcrowded with felons convicted of white-collar crimes, there may be some justification.

She was specifically sentenced by the judge to the Danbury, CT Camp Fed (the satellite facility in the linked Wiki).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_C ... n,_Danbury

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:34 pm

Calling all organic chemists!!

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/201 ... eeded.html

What is purported is powdered alcohol (and no, this is not The Onion).

http://www.bevlaw.com/bevlog/alcohol-be ... ed-alcohol

Is it possible to dehydrate CH3CH2OH and rehydrate it with all of its usual properties intact? If so, I am un-Krogothed.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 pm

They're starting with pure ethanol and absorbing it with a water-soluble powder. Since mixed drinks are typically less than 1/3 ethanol, there's room for the other stuff in the final solution once you've added water.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:11 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
They're starting with pure ethanol and absorbing it with a water-soluble powder. Since mixed drinks are typically less than 1/3 ethanol, there's room for the other stuff in the final solution once you've added water.

Ah, so the "powder" is actually a "hyrdated" powder with ethanol in solid solution. Had a hard time thinking that one could directly reduce ethanol to a powder.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:21 am

I hate Yahoo. I use their e-mail service for disposable addresses but the crap they pull to try to get you to "upgrade" to their latest version is just getting silly. Case in point: Until last week, Yahoo Mail would always launch with the messages sorted the way I liked them (oldest on top, newest on bottom). It now launches in the inverse order. While I can change the order to my preference in any given session, the setting WILL NOT stick. My guess is that if I "upgraded" they'd let me have my way.

There are times when I think we did wrong from moving away from Pine.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:03 am

Yahoo has been breaking random functionality across their sites for about a year now. The local homebrew club (whose list server has been hosted on YahooGroups for around a decade) has finally had enough; we're looking at alternatives. Currently in the running: A) Google Groups; B) a list server hosted by the same service (HostMonster) that hosts the club web site; C) self-hosting something on an existing private server or VPS. Currently leaning towards B as the best compromise between control and ease-of-use/maintenance, though we may be close to the limit for HostMonster's number of subscribers on their "free with your web hosting plan" list server feature (they apparently discourage its use for lists with more than 100 members, though our traffic is low enough that I don't really see it being a problem).