Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

LASR
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

DDNS to GoDaddy Domain

Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 pm

I just purchased a personal domain on GoDaddy.

I've been using the Asus DDNS service included on my router, so I already have an address like LASR.asuscomm.com. But I would like to use the specific domain I've just purchased. Forwarding the domain still takes me to my asuscomm.com address - which unfortunately is blocked at my workplace.

I am a complete noob to this DNS business. What exactly do I need to setup in order to get my DDNS setup to play well with GoDaddy?

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Re: DDNS to GoDaddy Domain

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:48 pm

You might have better luck over at smallnetbuilder.com, they have a section of the forum completely dedicated to asus routers.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:24 am

I'm not much of an expert on DNS but I was under the impression that those servers need an IP address to point to and one URL can't point to another, only to an IP address. So no static IP = nowhere for registered URLs to go.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:47 am

NovusBogus wrote:
I'm not much of an expert on DNS but I was under the impression that those servers need an IP address to point to and one URL can't point to another, only to an IP address. So no static IP = nowhere for registered URLs to go.

There is a type of DNS record called CNAME allows for just this - redirecting one domain name to another. This would solve the OP's problem in the way that they would like, because the resolver would be the one looking up the asuscomm.com address, and not whatever is doing DNS at their workplace. I guess that GoDaddy is using a form of URL redirection instead.

Probably the best thing for the OP to do would be to talk to his ISP and lease a static IP, then point the GoDaddy domain to that... unless your Asus router supports another form of dynamic DNS hosting that is NOT blocked by their workplace.

Spyder
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:59 pm

You should be able to simply add a "cname" record in your domain at Godady.

cname redirects the specified subdomain for your hosted domain to a different domain. In godaddy you may see some already there such as mail. Simply add your ddns domain from asus to this record.

Then you should get something like this:

ddns.mydomain.com -> asus.ddns.service.com

Hope that helps.

Spyder
aka Ernie Beaudin

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:52 pm

@Spyder -

I may be misunderstanding the situation here, but I don't see how that solves the problem. The problem is that the Asus domain is blocked at his workplace, so any workable solution needs to avoid using the Asus domain altogether.

@TwistedKestrel -

Unless he's on a "business class" line, static IP is probably not an option (and will cost money in any case).

@LASR -

Have you looked into using an alternate DDNS service (e.g. http://www.noip.com/free/)? Give it a try and see if your workplace filter blocks it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MattTYXM
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:03 pm

GoDaddy offers a developer API now that I have used to write the python script that you can get at my Bitbucket Repository

Since I am unable to post a link I will post the python code...

import json
import pif
import requests

# user defined - START
key = 'YOUR_GODADDY_KEY_GOES_HERE'
secret = 'YOUR_GODADDY_SECRET_GOES_HERE'
requestDomain = 'YOUR_GODADDY_DOMAIN_HERE' # ex) notreal.com
# user defined - END

# static - START
rootUrl = 'NOT_ALLOWED_TO_POST_URL_ON_THIS_FORUM'
recordType = 'A'
recordName = '@'
requestUrl = "%s/v1/domains/%s/records/%s/%s" % (rootUrl, requestDomain, recordType, recordName)
requestHeaders = {
   'Content-Type': 'application/json',
   'Authorization': ("sso-key %s:%s" % (key, secret))
}
# static - END

public_ip = pif.get_public_ip()
records = requests.get(
   requestUrl,
   headers=requestHeaders
).json()

if records[0]['data'] != public_ip:
   print "UPDATING TO %s" % (public_ip)
   records[0]['data'] = public_ip

requests.put(
      requestUrl,
      data=json.dumps(records),
      headers=requestHeaders
   )
else:
   print "%s IS UP TO DATE" % (public_ip)

The script simply updates the aRecord of your domain to point to your IP if it doesn't already. At this time it is a python script that can be run manually or executed inside a cron job to keep your IP address synced up with your domain name.

Things you need to do
  • Register for a developer account at GoDaddy (I would post the link but this forum doesn't allow me to post one)
  • Generate an API key and secret for your developer account
  • Ensure your system has python installed
  • Install the python dependencies listed in the README of the repository
pip install json && pip install pif && pip install requests

Run the script as needed or create a cron job to run the script on a schedule
python godaddy_duc.py

I hope this helps you, it works for me with my non static IP address and GoDaddy domain name.

Enjoy!

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:21 pm

There are others like Namecheap. I have a domain with them and they support dynamic DNS. I use ddclient on my Linux box to update it.