Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wildstar MMO

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:51 am

Anyone playing the beta? What are your impressions? I've long since burned out on guildwars2 and long for more traditional content via the trinity roles (tank, healer, dps) and I've been enticed by this one. My buddy got me a a beta key from PAX east and I'm going to try it this weekend. It's made by a team that worked on WoW way back when, and the graphics definitely remind me of that. The play style seems to be a mix active combat and targeted abilities making combat largely skill and positioning based.

The game will feature 5 man dungeon content, 20 and 40 man raid (the latter only available after 20 has been finished) and 80 man war plots, whatever that is. It looks like every class CAN heal or off-tank to some degree but that largely the primary function of each class is defined as its strong point. There is threat and I suspect the game fully support add-ons as rumored.

So, anyone else excited for it? It kinda reminded me of Tera mixed with guildwars2 in terms of combat. Looking forward to this weekend to give it a try and I'll give my honest opinions then. I'm hoping it's as refreshing a game as it appears, I need a solid MMO with gear and dungeons!

credible
Gerbil XP

Re: Wildstar MMO

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:41 am

Found this as well, it was posted 5 hours ago, maybe some folks here can throw their email into the mix, I did.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/15/wildstar-beta-weve-got-3000-keys-to-give-away/

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm kinda out of the MMO market for the moment but interested at any rate.
Meow.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Wildstar.... has me conflicted.

Combat. I like the flow and pacing. I think the indicators are pretty cool and will allow more challenging mechanics to be included in lower difficultly fights. This is big when I play with friends who usually suck at games. However, the array of abilities seems small. I get scared when MMOs don't have a lot of action bar buttons. Basically, i'm afraid that this will end up like GW2 where I find the combat isn't engaging enough to play for the long haul (I *hate* how GW2's weapon abilities work and how each weapon only has 5 unique abilities per class. Yuck. )

Graphics. I personally like the style. I defended WoW's style for ages. But.... and this is huge.... the amount of detail and variety seems lacking. I also have my doubts how long this art style can be viable. Basically, if you're going to make an MMO whose aesthetic is clearly influenced by WoW... then you really need to knock it out of the park. But it appears they didn't even match a 10 years old MMO....

I'm hoping to get to play the beta extensively at some point, but I've watched a fair amount of gameplay footage. Unfortunately that hasn't helped build my excitement. I was more pumped 6 months ago for WS than I am now.

superjawes

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:54 pm

I've been curious...I'll probably try it at some point.

slowriot wrote:
However, the array of abilities seems small. I get scared when MMOs don't have a lot of action bar buttons.

Some WoW classes suffer from having useless and/or too many abilities. I remember putting abilities on my bars just because it was another button I had to press, and not because there was any real decision involved.

So I've been more interested in Diablo style of a limited moveset, but with different decisions on each move allowing for different synergies and play styles, and I think that can be powerful in an MMO. It would definitely be a plus in PvP. Skill will always be a big component, but if any class can have a specific moveset to hard-counter any other class, then it becomes a combination of skill and decision making, which I think is more compelling.

slowriot wrote:
Graphics. I personally like the style. I defended WoW's style for ages...But it appears they didn't even match a 10 years old MMO....

Don't give Blizzard too much credit. They have made improvments with every expansion. I mean look at Orgrimmar before/after Cataclysm, look at the Pandaren compared to classes as of today, and look at the new models that will be released in Warlords of Draenor. So what you say is "10 years old" isn't exactly 10 years old.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:15 pm

It looks like a cartoon. It may be great for all I know.

I'm playing ESO and will be for a long time, a great game. A bit flawed around the edges but they are responding well to our concerns.

A deep and complex time sink. My DPS witch is working out well and my other 5 chars are coming along.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:17 pm

I've played the beta for some time. It was interesting for a while - I liked the graphical "theme", the color palette and the in-game humor (all of which make the game feel much, MUCH more "alive" compared to horrible ESO with its horribly depressing color palette, "wooden" characters with awful animations and lame attempts at "humor" in some quests), the "freeform targeting" system with visual indicators was also fun to use but in the end it felt like "yet another generic WoW clone", including the "mandatory" arenas/bgs ("warplots" sound interesting but I haven't tried them) and boss raids.
Personally I am much more excited about ArcheAge (even though I don't particularly like the sound effects in Asian MMOs) but you should definitely try WildStar - I think the game is worth playing through at least once, especially considering that you don't have to pay any monthly fees (aside from initial payment for the game and first 30 days) if you're an active player and can earn enough in-game currency.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:20 pm

ESO is pretty, I have no idea how this nonsense gets out.

http://carnagepro.com/eso

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Different people have different definition of "pretty"... Some think this is "pretty":

And some prefer more colorful palette where you can distinguish trees from buildings most of the time and which doesn't make you feel like listening to Gary Jules' song for hours on repeat ;-)

And yes, I did buy ESO... Worst waste of money ever, even considering discounted price at G2G's store.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Esproc
Gerbil

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Wildstar sounds interesting with its skill-shot style combat, and open world pvp, but I really don't care for the art style.

Eso was a big let down, luckly I got to beta it and saved myself some money.

Personally looking at The Repopulation, since sandbox is really what I'm looking for.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:55 pm

JohnC wrote:
which doesn't make you feel like listening to Gary Jules' song for hours on repeat ;-)

Don't be pissin' on Mad World. 8)
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:22 pm

Esproc wrote:
Personally looking at The Repopulation, since sandbox is really what I'm looking for.

"The Repopulation" sounds promising but it's a "crowdfunding" project from a tiny indie team and such things rarely get developed into proper game ;-) At the very best it'll get bought out by SOE or another large company which also likes to collect stillborn MMORPG games :wink:

Captain Ned wrote:
JohnC wrote:
which doesn't make you feel like listening to Gary Jules' song for hours on repeat ;-)

Don't be pissin' on Mad World. 8)

It's a very melodic song but it's not exactly "cheerful" and the very first verse perfectly describes the whole ESO experience.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:41 pm

JohnC wrote:
It's a very melodic song but it's not exactly "cheerful"

Might explain its use in the very first Gears of War trailer. That lugubrious cello is there to tell you it's sad.

EDIT: The 1983 Tears for Fears original may be uptempo in the way of early '80s New Wave, but no more optimistic.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Esproc
Gerbil

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:07 pm

JohnC wrote:

"The Repopulation" sounds promising but it's a "crowdfunding" project from a tiny indie team and such things rarely get developed into proper game ;-) At the very best it'll get bought out by SOE or another large company which also likes to collect stillborn MMORPG games :wink:

Yeah I have hope that SOE doesn't buy them, although I backed at the $250 range so clearly I'm biased. If you haven't look at it lately they have made some good progress.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:46 pm

superjawes wrote:
I've been curious...I'll probably try it at some point.Some WoW classes suffer from having useless and/or too many abilities. I remember putting abilities on my bars just because it was another button I had to press, and not because there was any real decision involved.

So I've been more interested in Diablo style of a limited moveset, but with different decisions on each move allowing for different synergies and play styles, and I think that can be powerful in an MMO. It would definitely be a plus in PvP. Skill will always be a big component, but if any class can have a specific moveset to hard-counter any other class, then it becomes a combination of skill and decision making, which I think is more compelling.

Diablo 3 style is exactly what I want to avoid. It leads to classes becoming stale very quickly. I think you're greatly exaggerating the real variety for a class in D3. Especially in terms of "viable" (suitable for end game) builds. The same can be said for GW2 (D3 does a better job of making each ability "fee" important/fun/unique, GW2-style is what brothers me most). Diablo 3-like is what I've been hearing and seems to be the case in what I've watched.

You'll also find I'm strongly opposed to gameplay changes which shrink the gap between skilled and unskilled players.

superjawes wrote:
Don't give Blizzard too much credit. They have made improvments with every expansion. I mean look at Orgrimmar before/after Cataclysm, look at the Pandaren compared to classes as of today, and look at the new models that will be released in Warlords of Draenor. So what you say is "10 years old" isn't exactly 10 years old.

From what I've seen, which is a decent chunk of gameplay, the graphics are not much (or really any) better than BC-era WoW. I haven't played WoW since early Cataclysm. I think Blizzard should be given a ton of credit. You can't look at Wilstar and not immediately think "WoW-clone", and that's unfortunate, but it's something that absolutely must have been painfully obvious to the developers. It now pains me that they didn't push for more originality or for a quality level that is a major leap above even Warlods of Draenor. I'll give GW2 credit on one thing, it's a seriously beautiful game.

Anyway... the boss fights are supposedly the saving grace. They're difficult, yay! My fear though is they'll be constantly tweaked to be easier. Just like WoW. And once that's happened it'll be the same MMO we've been playing since 2004 with less compelling skills/abilities.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:43 pm

JohnC wrote:
Different people have different definition of "pretty"... Some think this is "pretty":

And some prefer more colorful palette where you can distinguish trees from buildings most of the time and which doesn't make you feel like listening to Gary Jules' song for hours on repeat ;-)

And yes, I did buy ESO... Worst waste of money ever, even considering discounted price at G2G's store.

Seeing I am having fun with it, I am interested as to what you did not like.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:19 pm

slowriot wrote:
it'll be the same MMO we've been playing since 2004 with less compelling skills/abilities.

Yea... Unfortunately North American developers are absolutely incapable of building a really long-lasting MMORPG with endgame and meaningful economy system based around large-scale non-instanced (not located in "Eternal Battlegrounds" or "Cyrodil") PvP with large player-built defensive structures/ships/airplanes/vehicles or do something more creative for PvE other than mandatory "here's huge dragon, it does pre-defined attacks in a pre-defined area and has pre-defined armor/HP's, now figure it out during next couple of weeks what exactly it does and how exactly you need to avoid its attacks to kill it and get "World First" achievement then wait another 6-12 months until we give you another dragon"...

PenGun wrote:
Seeing I am having fun with it, I am interested as to what you did not like.

I'm glad that you do. I, however, could not. The ESO game doesn't feel like any of ES games (maybe a little bit like Morrowind, but still worse and Morrowind could be modded to fix/improve a lot of drawbacks, including dated graphics effects) - the animations are extremely poorly done (it's a pain to see the animations of various NPCs and player characters, and especially the horrible horse mount animations, for a game released in 2014), the color palette for EVERYTHING is disgustingly "muted" and mostly consists of various shades of dark green/gray, the combat feels very "clunky" and unnatural, the "class/skill" system feels extremely biased towards melee combat (I tried a few nightblade/sorcerer ranged combinations and gave up after a few hours), many basic MMO systems are either absent (no proper auction house) or severely broken (up until latest patch it was possible to troll people by letting them invite you into dungeon and just let them kill monsters/bosses for crappy loot while you could simply ninja-loot chests with ALL of the better loot inside and you could not even be kicked out of it). Not to mention poor leveling system (only viable way to level solo is through extremely generic PvE quests, ALL of which end at some point and then you have to grind up some XP by mindlessly killing certain mobs - "daily" PvP quests provide a laughable amount of XP), dozens of broken quests (which force you to log off every time you encounter them) and very poorly done stock UI elements (like action bar, quest tracker and inventory).

I mean, just look at this single video from ArcheAge Alpha - just the world environments alone looks more "alive" and make me feel willing to spend more time in in-game world, same goes for much more fluid character animations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqtu3xAusBs
I'm not even talking about many dozens of things you can occupy yourself with (based on your personal interests) in this game and all of which are simply absent in most Western MMORPG games (especially ESO).

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:06 pm

I still don't get the graphics hate. I have Skyrim, played a lot of hours and ESO is a bit brighter and more colourful. It certainly does not rival the hi res packed Skyrim for sheer graphic resolution but that is to be expected in an MMO. It appears to graphically crush the other MMOs out there unless you enjoy way out cartoon stuff like Wildstar, which is not as hi res. I have my IPS 30" 2560x1600 monitor with a GTX 780 to push the pixels for my comparisons.

I am learning to play MMOs. I have no real expectations as I have no experience in the genre. I have played a lot of shooters and at one time was good at them so I think my opinions about them have some merit. Stalker is my game, my precious.

The gameplay in ESO is intriguing. I have 6 chars to explore the possibilities of fighting and crafting. The game appears to be too hard for some people and it is not especially easy in many places. I have fun with that as ... well ... Stalker. My Red Witch, the glass canon, is a hoot. She punches way above her present level 16 and brings the smack. She is 12 2 2 for magic, health and stamina, but if she can get a good grip on the situation stuff dies before it gets to her. My Orc Sorc, really my blacksmith, is a lot of fun as well, he fries stuff till it gets close then hits it with his 2 hander axe. This works surprisingly well sometimes and not at all in other situations. I am leveling up my Imperial tank, possibly the hardest build at low levels, but he his coming along well. My Kajiit Nightblade is kinda parked as Nightblade is not my favorite right now. My Argonian templar, the cook, is doing quite well but the witch can heal way better, all that magic. My son is wired as well, the last person I ever expected to play even a non shooter, let alone an MMO.

Oh well gotta go get a sister out of the stocks. They have a DK on a false charge I have to fix. As it's my DK who found her we are taking this a little more personally than usual.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:21 pm

GuildWars2 destroys any current MMO in terms of raw beauty. Not even close. ESO isn't ugly, but it is somewhat dull by comparison.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:03 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
GuildWars2 destroys any current MMO in terms of raw beauty. Not even close. ESO isn't ugly, but it is somewhat dull by comparison.

Looking at the game and the official screeners are tiny and not all that impressive. Where are nice ones? The best I have found do not support 'not even close' in fact they look worse than ESO.

I guess I have to install it to actually tell.

LostCat

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:00 pm

PenGun wrote:
Looking at the game and the official screeners are tiny and not all that impressive. Where are nice ones? The best I have found do not support 'not even close' in fact they look worse than ESO.

GW2 has some very unique areas for world design but for all the detail it still looks like it came out in 2007 or something. And since it's dx9 it still has pretty big limits on special effects and stuff.

ESO is very good looking, but has a slightly generic feel to it. However, much less so than Skyrim IMO.

Personally, I think peoples opinions on it during the beta were very likely influenced by which starting area they picked. I didn't see all three but one of them seemed pretty dull.

(I don't have the release ver yet so can't comment on it, but was playing in the final beta.)
Meow.

Esproc
Gerbil

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:40 pm

PenGun wrote:
I still don't get the graphics hate. I have Skyrim, played a lot of hours and ESO is a bit brighter and more colourful. It certainly does not rival the hi res packed Skyrim for sheer graphic resolution but that is to be expected in an MMO. It appears to graphically crush the other MMOs out there unless you enjoy way out cartoon stuff like Wildstar, which is not as hi res. I have my IPS 30" 2560x1600 monitor with a GTX 780 to push the pixels for my comparisons.

I am learning to play MMOs. I have no real expectations as I have no experience in the genre. I have played a lot of shooters and at one time was good at them so I think my opinions about them have some merit. Stalker is my game, my precious.

The gameplay in ESO is intriguing. I have 6 chars to explore the possibilities of fighting and crafting. The game appears to be too hard for some people and it is not especially easy in many places. I have fun with that as ... well ... Stalker. My Red Witch, the glass canon, is a hoot. She punches way above her present level 16 and brings the smack. She is 12 2 2 for magic, health and stamina, but if she can get a good grip on the situation stuff dies before it gets to her. My Orc Sorc, really my blacksmith, is a lot of fun as well, he fries stuff till it gets close then hits it with his 2 hander axe. This works surprisingly well sometimes and not at all in other situations. I am leveling up my Imperial tank, possibly the hardest build at low levels, but he his coming along well. My Kajiit Nightblade is kinda parked as Nightblade is not my favorite right now. My Argonian templar, the cook, is doing quite well but the witch can heal way better, all that magic. My son is wired as well, the last person I ever expected to play even a non shooter, let alone an MMO.

Oh well gotta go get a sister out of the stocks. They have a DK on a false charge I have to fix. As it's my DK who found her we are taking this a little more personally than usual.

I personally feel AoC: Rise of the Godslayer, has better graphics at least in the expansion areas, the armors are amazing, and that was released years ago.

I wasn't happy with the ESO gameplay, most of the missions felt generic with only a few having that ES feel like I really had options. What kills me though is in the small details, like the animation for tassets, which are the hanging thigh guards, they are animated all wrong. Sighs, I don't know why that bugs me. The combat was ok, but I feel like it was slow or just off, I couldn't put my finger on it.

Esproc
Gerbil

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Savyg wrote:
PenGun wrote:

GW2 has some very unique areas for world design but for all the detail it still looks like it came out in 2007 or something. And since it's dx9 it still has pretty big limits on special effects and stuff.

ESO is very good looking, but has a slightly generic feel to it. However, much less so than Skyrim IMO.

Personally, I think peoples opinions on it during the beta were very likely influenced by which starting area they picked. I didn't see all three but one of them seemed pretty dull.

(I don't have the release ver yet so can't comment on it, but was playing in the final beta.)

I don't know I tried all 3 during the last 4 betas, and tbh it wasn't the environment that bugged me, it was mostly texture resolutions that where very poor, along with bad animations. I feel like ESO graphics could of been 100 times better with 1 more step up in texture res and the addition of tessellation. They could of future proofed it by adding 2 steps up in texture res and tessellation, but short sighted goals.

LostCat

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Esproc wrote:
I don't know I tried all 3 during the last 4 betas, and tbh it wasn't the environment that bugged me, it was mostly texture resolutions that where very poor, along with bad animations. I feel like ESO graphics could of been 100 times better with 1 more step up in texture res and the addition of tessellation. They could of future proofed it by adding 2 steps up in texture res and tessellation, but short sighted goals.

I never noticed bad animations at all. I heard that a few times but have to wonder if it was specific configs with problems.
Meow.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 pm

The animations seem excellent to me. I am at high res but the NPCs breath fairly convincingly. I have never seen that before.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:56 pm

I haven't tried Wildstar, but Guild Wars 2 is still my favorite game. Yes, the graphics look nice, but the writing and voice acting really set it ahead of most games.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Agree - guildwars2 is a good MMO, and the new feature patch is nice.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

superjawes

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 am

I found a beta key for this weekend in my inbox this morning...anyone else?

I still have to verify that it is an actual key an not a scam, but it should be cool to try this out.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:15 am

They are hosting a surprise beta weekend this weekend and allegedly anyone that has signed up for the beta will receive a key.

I played last weekend and it was a BLAST. Highly considering pre-order for the mini perks and head start. I really like the combat. The character spec system is really nice and seemingly deep. Buy your abilities, create sets of them for the style you want to play/swap to, invest in AMP points for further investment to a spec, lots of gear options too. I enjoyed playing my engineer (tank) - has robot pets for off-tanking, DPS, debuffs and buffs etc. I'm hoping my toon from last weekend is still available so I can try the dungeon content available at lv 15.

I'd say go for it, it was a good experience albeit with some minor bugs.

Brooted
Gerbil In Training

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Two things you guys gotta see to have a good understanding of WildStar:

First, a video review that I find to be spot on.
youtube.com/watch?v=twa4hE1I8Hc (I can't seem to post links yet)

Second, check out their business model! I appreciate what they're doing, and it made me laugh. : )
wildstar-online.com/en/game/features/business-model/

Hope that helps!