Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Looking for Mice Suggestions

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Currently at home I have a really old Razer Deathadder that has done fine for me, and at work I have a crappy Logitech M500 that the company supplied. I am trying my best to move away from blue lights everywhere and towards professional looking (no lights or white lights if any) mice and am having a hard time finding anything online that seems worthwhile. Everything seems to have huge reported problems and most companies appear to be going in the opposite direction from what I want (crazy lights and RAT looking mice). I would like something that looks professional enough to be in the office, and is comfortable for everyday use. Corded is preferred as I have no need for it to be wireless. Can any gerbils point me in a good direction?

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Looking for Mice Suggestions

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:33 pm

I have a Razer Orochi bluetooth + wired mouse, and to be honest, I use a cheap dell mouse that came bundled with a PC for my desktop browsing and gaming.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:35 pm

I have a Deathadder 2013 or whatever. Luckily, you can turn off all the lights in software. I don't love Razer, but the Deathadder is a good mouse.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

StaticFX
Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Steelseries? I dont like the apex keyboard i have but the mice i heard are great...

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:41 pm

I was in a similar boat not too long ago. I owned two deathadders, one for work and one for home. I noticed that my hand was starting to get fatigued from using the same mouse day in and day out and tried to find two different mice that fit the bill.

I settled on this for work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826125154

It's a big size, but for my large hands it's perfect.

I settled on this for home: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826254090

It's a bit smaller than the previously linked one but has some nice features (including being able to turn the lights white or off completely). Software works and doesn't need to be running for the mouse to use all the features (it's merely there for editing).

I picked the Theron after trying the Corsair m65, Mionix 8200, and Cooler Master Sentinel Advanced II (didn't like the comfort of these mice). Didn't hurt that I paid $30 for it after an MIR either.

Fact of the matter is, you're going to find that pretty much every mouse out there has issues. I'm very happy with the Theron but have about 1 or 2 issues with it myself (the first one I purchased I ended up returning for a replacement due to a wobbly scroll wheel and off color LEDs). I suggest trying some out that you like and judging it on comfort first, price second (in case it needs to be replaced), and features (outside of your core requirements) last.

StaticFX
Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm

I have the THERON Tt infrared (would rather the lights are blue lol) but I like it.. good size.. good feel.. only thing I dont like is the side button in the front, i cant reach it the way my had sits on it.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:07 pm

I've recently acquired a Mionix Naos 8200. I've ran through G7, G5, Roccat Kone, RAT7 at a friend's, and other cheaper/crappier mice. (On that note, I'm not buying anything Logitech again, everything I buy from them breaks down. Cheaply made). Anyhow, the Naos:

- Shape/comfort/feel: it's the best-shaped mouse I've ever used, as it seems to be have been sculpted from a real hand. Its surface is all matte plastic which is wonderful. Overall, it's the best "feeling" mouse I've ever had. Note: in the first few days, my hand kept trying to "go back" to the G5's rounded top shape, until I started relaxing it. It's great now.
- Sensor: extremely accurate and with smooth motion. Not much to be said here.
- Lights: they exist but their color is changeable or they can be disabled altogether. I hate lights but I actually left these on because since you can choose an RGB color, I set it them to be visible but just barely.
- Software/presets: the software is not necessary. You can use it once to set up the mouse, then it writes the settings to the mouse and it's done.
- Price I got the 8200 as it was on sale, but there are cheaper 3200 / 5000 variants. I almost don't use high DPI settings at all, only in very specific situations in some games (tanks in BF4, etc).

The only very minor problem I found is that they had the stupid idea to put a Mionix sticker around the sensor. The edge of the sticker sometimes picks up fibers from my cloth mat and they get in the sensor's way. But it's easy to spot when that happens.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm

I recommend Roccat or Logitech, whichever is sold or available in your area. I strongly prefer Roccat.

Both companies have brilliant products with outstanding ergonomy. In particular, Roccat drivers are very comprehensive and problem-free and I have fantastic experience with their customer support as well.

If you like laser sensors, the Roccat Kone XTD (not the Kone[+]!) or Logitech G500s/G700s (only those ending in "s"!) should be as close to perfection as you can get, while optical fans should revel in a Roccat Kone Pure Optical or Logitech G400s (only the one ending in "s" again!).
Do NOT buy gaming mice cheaper than those I suggested, as build quality will get increasingly random. In particular, Logitech has a bad reputation online in this regard.

If, for whatever reason, you disagree with my suggestions, then pick something here: http://www.overclock.net/t/854100/gamin ... ensor-list
Please note that for laser mice, only those with the Avago ADNS-9800 (A9800) sensor track perfectly, while on the optical side the ADNS-3090 (A3090) is what pretty much gives you flawless tracking. Any other sensors may have quirks you do not want.

I would be wary of third-rate manufacturers on that list: best case is you'll get a terrible driver interface, worst case is your mouse won't last long or customer support will be insufferable.
Last edited by Meadows on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 pm

P.S. to the previous comment: the list mentions the Logitech G400s, G500s and G700s as having the sensors "S3095" and "S9808". These are actually still the A3090 and A9800 I mentioned, but Logitech uses custom lenses and/or firmware depending on the mouse in question and so their model numbers are proprietary increments of the same hardware.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:21 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I have a Deathadder 2013 or whatever. Luckily, you can turn off all the lights in software. I don't love Razer, but the Deathadder is a good mouse.

I have a Deathadder (and a Razer mech keyboard) and have no complaints with either. However, I was turned off Razer when they tried to implement a driver system that you needed to log into an online account to use. I don't know who was asleep at the wheel when that was thought a good idea. Does Razer still do this?

I still use the keyboard as drivers for a keyboard are not so crucial. But currently, I've switched to a Mionix NAOS 8200. And I have to say, it's an upgrade from the Deathadder. Better sensor, good quality buttons, and a nice non-slip finish and shape that conforms to the hand. The teflon feet slide pretty nicely too. If you can find the NAOS 8200 for around $50 or less, then a definite recommendation.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:27 pm

cynan wrote:
I have a Deathadder (and a Razer mech keyboard) and have no complaints with either. However, I was turned off Razer when they tried to implement a driver system that you needed to log into an online account to use. I don't know who was asleep at the wheel when that was thought a good idea. Does Razer still do this?

I think so, but honestly I don't care. Once you have the driver, I don't think you need to be connected after that. Meh.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 pm

morphine wrote:
I've recently acquired a Mionix Naos 8200. I've ran through G7, G5, Roccat Kone, RAT7 at a friend's, and other cheaper/crappier mice. (On that note, I'm not buying anything Logitech again, everything I buy from them breaks down. Cheaply made). Anyhow, the Naos:

- Shape/comfort/feel: it's the best-shaped mouse I've ever used, as it seems to be have been sculpted from a real hand. Its surface is all matte plastic which is wonderful. Overall, it's the best "feeling" mouse I've ever had. Note: in the first few days, my hand kept trying to "go back" to the G5's rounded top shape, until I started relaxing it. It's great now.
- Sensor: extremely accurate and with smooth motion. Not much to be said here.
- Lights: they exist but their color is changeable or they can be disabled altogether. I hate lights but I actually left these on because since you can choose an RGB color, I set it them to be visible but just barely.
- Software/presets: the software is not necessary. You can use it once to set up the mouse, then it writes the settings to the mouse and it's done.
- Price I got the 8200 as it was on sale, but there are cheaper 3200 / 5000 variants. I almost don't use high DPI settings at all, only in very specific situations in some games (tanks in BF4, etc).

The only very minor problem I found is that they had the stupid idea to put a Mionix sticker around the sensor. The edge of the sticker sometimes picks up fibers from my cloth mat and they get in the sensor's way. But it's easy to spot when that happens.

Can the lights be changed to straight white? Additionally, can the lights be switched easily without software? My worry is that my work computer isn't going to let me install any custom software on it just for lights.

Thanks everyone else for chiming in. Sadly much of those don't quality for what I was looking for.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 pm

DancinJack wrote:
cynan wrote:

I think so, but honestly I don't care. Once you have the driver, I don't think you need to be connected after that. Meh.

Yes they still do this and it stinks.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm

StuG wrote:

Can the lights be changed to straight white? Additionally, can the lights be switched easily without software? My worry is that my work computer isn't going to let me install any custom software on it just for lights.

Thanks everyone else for chiming in. Sadly much of those don't quality for what I was looking for.

Just to note, the lighting on the Mionix NAOS 8200 is completely customizable. You can have any color you want - or can turn them off.

Edit: but yes, this is done with the driver (installed)

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:35 pm

cynan wrote:
StuG wrote:

Just to note, the lighting on the Mionix NAOS 8200 is completely customizable. You can have any color you want - or can turn them off.

Do you know by chance if you set it, and then move it to a computer without the drivers, does it keep the colors?

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:37 pm

StuG wrote:
cynan wrote:
StuG wrote:

Do you know by chance if you set it, and then move it to a computer without the drivers, does it keep the colors?

Not off hand. I would think that it needs to have the driver installed. Although, it does use onbaord memory to save button mapping and sensitivity profiles, but not sure if this applies to the lighting. I'd have to bring the mouse to another PC when I got home and see what happens.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 pm

cynan wrote:

Not off hand. I would think that it needs to have the driver installed. Although, it does use onbaord memory to save button mapping and sensitivity profiles, but not sure if this applies to the lighting. I'd have to bring the mouse to another PC when I got home and see what happens.

Would you be willing to try that for me and report back? Outside of that, if that works it looks like it fits all the right marks for me. I'd probably cut down though and get the 3200 model, I don't need anything over 3000 DPI that is for sure. Thanks for all your help so far!

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:45 pm

StuG wrote:
cynan wrote:

Would you be willing to try that for me and report back? Outside of that, if that works it looks like it fits all the right marks for me. I'd probably cut down though and get the 3200 model, I don't need anything over 3000 DPI that is for sure. Thanks for all your help so far!

I probably won't be home for a few hours yet, but I'll try to remember to do it and report back here.

I don't know anything about the other Mionix models (ie, whether the 3200 has lights that are as customizable or whether their control works the same).

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:46 pm

cynan wrote:
StuG wrote:
cynan wrote:

I probably won't be home for a few hours yet, but I'll try to remember to do it and report back here.

I don't know anything about the other Mionix models (ie, whether the 3200 has lights that are as customizable or whether their control works the same).

From what I can find it appears that they all work the same way and have the same hardware minus the sensor DPI amount. Also I'm hoping that after you set it up it will hold the configuration w/ lighting as they say the following: "Completely Plug n Play, software needed only for configuration". Seems like it would...

Thanks if you remember! :)

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Also after some research, the 7000 and 8200 have custom colors. The 3200 only has 2 you can select from.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm

StuG, I just plugged in my Naos to a very old Athlon 64 computer. Its lights remained as I had set them, so those go to the EEPROM as well.

On that note, I tried setting them to white and got almost-white. As the LEDs in mice are never perfectly positioned, the main Mionix logo is very slightly tinged magenta, while the scroll wheel is very slighty tinged blue. You can use full RGB settings so you can experiment easily. And of course, you can shut them down entirely.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:03 pm

morphine wrote:
StuG, I just plugged in my Naos to a very old Athlon 64 computer. Its lights remained as I had set them, so those go to the EEPROM as well.

On that note, I tried setting them to white and got almost-white. As the LEDs in mice are never perfectly positioned, the main Mionix logo is very slightly tinged magenta, while the scroll wheel is very slighty tinged blue. You can use full RGB settings so you can experiment easily. And of course, you can shut them down entirely.

Awesome thanks for the help! I understand it's going to take some trial and error to get them perfect (anyway most white lights come out with a hue of some sort). I really appreciate you trying this and reporting it! :D

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Meadows: glad you're good with Roccat, but I'm not. I got a Kone that got a broken scroll wheel. After much browsing around the internet, I found that it's a very common problem and that Roccat is of no help, as they always tell you to go to your retailer - even though it's clearly a design flaw.

Speaking of design flaws, I bought a very nice mouse mat from them, thin plastic. After a few days, I noticed that it had a bulge on it. I had been playing Civ V for a few hours so I thought it would settle. No chance. Using the mousepad makes it heat up, dilate, and bulge. How bad can you screw up a piece of plastic? Obviously, Roccat told me to go to my retailer, again not acknowledging a design flaw.

They may have improved in recent years but I have a very bad taste in my mouth.

Also, again, I cannot ever recommend Logitech again. Between me and my friend: three mice (one G7, two G5), three Extreme 3D joysticks, one set of Z-5500s, one G27 wheel+pedal+gearbox set. All with severe build/design issues.

But again, YMMV.

StaticFX
Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Just heard about Mionix a few days ago.. seems like a very solid choice.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:30 pm

morphine wrote:
Meadows: glad you're good with Roccat, but I'm not. I got a Kone that got a broken scroll wheel. After much browsing around the internet, I found that it's a very common problem and that Roccat is of no help, as they always tell you to go to your retailer - even though it's clearly a design flaw.

Precisely. I had the same issue with the first mouse I ever bought from them - the Kone[+]. I went to the online retailer I got the mouse from, and they got me a brand new replacement because it was still under warranty. The whole thing was rather expedient.

You wouldn't believe it, but the replacement has been working just fine ever since. However, since it uses the earlier A9500 sensor, it doesn't track as well as the new Kone XTD, so I use it at work now. At home I have a Kone XTD. Absolutely no issues whatsoever (other than the fact the optional weights get "stuck" in the mouse body if left there for extended periods of time, but I'll let that slide).

In fact, they were very well aware of the design issues with the original Kone and went to painful lengths to make their Kone XTD marketing material stress just how much they've improved the mousewheel.
http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-M ... XTD/#crb_3

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Well, it's nice to see that scroll wheel diagram. The original one was so terribly designed that I looked at it and said, "no ****, nobody saw that this *will* break"?

touchandgo
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:53 pm

Use both the Corsair H65 (replaced the Steel Series Ikari) and SteelSeries Xai (superseded by the Sensei, same design, higher DPI). No issues with either.

Morphine: Consider the Steel Series HD mats. Been using the 9HD for 3 years now and love it. Another option is the Corsair MM400.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:57 pm

touchandgo wrote:
Use both the Corsair H65 (replaced the Steel Series Ikari) and SteelSeries Xai (superseded by the Sensei, same design, higher DPI). No issues with either.

Morphine: Consider the Steel Series HD mats. Been using the 9HD for 3 years now and love it. Another option is the Corsair MM400.

Oh, I have a nice mat now (Mionix Alioth).

With my Roccat story, I was just dumbstruck at how anyone can get a mousemat so wrong.

touchandgo
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:15 pm

morphine wrote:
touchandgo wrote:

Oh, I have a nice mat now (Mionix Alioth).

With my Roccat story, I was just dumbstruck at how anyone can get a mousemat so wrong.

That Alioth makes my 9HD look positively plain. As for the Roccat, that is pretty embarrassing for a supposedly Gaming surface.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:16 pm

This Mionix mouse looks interesting, but there's one feature Logitech has that I really miss in my current Steelseries Sensei- the free-scrolling mousewheel. Still, the ergonomics look very close to Logitech's best, and the sensor looks like the same one Logitech is using, so that's a plus.

For mousepads, I prefer the teflon-coated steel setups with rubber bumpers in the corners. I have one from Razer and one from Best Buy's house brand which is smaller, and both are excellent- I wouldn't use anything else.