Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Ants!!!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:55 am

So has anybody else been having unusually severe problems with ants this year? We've had them before, but never anything as bad as this. In the past couple of weeks we have discovered two full-blown colonies living inside the house -- one in a potted plant, and another in the overflow drain of one of the bathroom sinks. When the colonies are discovered and disturbed, the ants come boiling out by the thousands, carrying eggs and immature larvae with them.

These ants don't seem to be interested in the ant baits from the hardware store, which have worked for us in the past. I wonder if the formula of the ant baits has changed. Or maybe this species of ant doesn't like the bait.

We're way too far north to have crazy ants. I'm speculating that either A) the unusually harsh winter here in the Midwest forced ant colonies that normally stay outdoors to take shelter; or B) there's some new invasive ant species that has gained a foothold in this area.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

StaticFX
Gerbil

Re: Ants!!!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 am

every few years they get bad here (northeast) and we have the outside of our house sprayed... then we dont see them for a good year or two. DONT use orkin or those guys.. they are a complete ripoff (they wanted like $400 when it was all done) - I pay like $75 every 2 years :)

Longsdivision
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 am

Had the same issues with sugar ants here in Texas last year. The ants were getting more and more desperate in trying to find sources of food and stable climate due to the hotter, longer, and dryer summer season. So your speculation is probably very accurate in that ants are looking for shelter and food.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 am

Apparently there is going to be huge ant explosion this year and it actually started last year. I know I have been fighting the darn hills and trails around my house since last summer. That and the Southern broad-leaf weeds have gotten out of control too. Certainly makes my yard work take more time.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 am

I remember there was a problem with pharoah ants throughout my old condo building. It seemed like a "phantom" problem, they would show up, then disappear for a while, then show up again. In reality, they were probably always there but not always noticed. Anyway, it was a nightmare, they would sometimes come pouring out of cracks (it was an old building), and you could not leave any food out in the open. I even ended up putting my boxes of cereal in the fridge just to keep them out. They also loved honey, I had a bottle in my cupboard and they were all over the lid. Needless to say that got pitched out. The condo building had a management company that was aware of the problem and they sent out notices about it and got a pest control company in, but a year later when I moved out, the ant problem was still very much real. I was definitely paranoid about transporting the ants to my new place but I was very careful in moving and inspected everything closely and luckily no ants made the trip. I personally don't hate ants but it goes without saying you most definitely don't want them in your home.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 am

Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 am

forget the baits and use the drops that they take back to the nest.
it is what always works for me.

as for are we seeing ants yet... too early for us in the frozen north :-)

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 am

I stockpiled the Sevin Dust and I barricade the house in it every year. No ants.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:52 am

Diatomaceous earth is supposedly effective for ants, if you need a non-toxic approach.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 am

ludi wrote:
Diatomaceous earth is supposedly effective for ants, if you need a non-toxic approach.

Works on dog fleas as well.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Dimscene
Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm

ludi wrote:

Yes, I remember reading that on reddit. It slices them up! Make sure you get food grade because the pool one is treated with chemicals. I have a stink bug problem where I am so I'm looking to get my hand on some if they are just as bad as last year.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Have you considered getting an anteater as a pet? :lol:

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/2009 ... eater.html

d@mn'd
Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:18 pm

if the Diatomaceous earth is difficult to come by the Blue and Orange hardware stores usually have http://www.terro.com/ that works quite will. It is a pain to clean up if it spills but the ants swarm it for a week and die off. Eggs hatch and I get another swarm (not as big as the first) and another then..... silence.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:31 pm

It is estimated there are more than 10 quadrillion ants alive at any given time. From a purely evolutionary perspective, they're winning by a long shot.

Yet they're not trying to drive you out of your homes. Much less poison you...

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 pm

I had an ant problem where they were getting into my house through the front door and going to the kitchen to grab the food scraps. There was literally a solid line of them. If I fixed one entry point they'd just find another way in. I figured they going by scent/path, so what I was throughly washed the floors with a Mr. Clean/Vinegar solution and then sprayed the whole entry way with Ant Raid. Then for good measure I put some of those ant baits/drops they back to their nest, just because.

It seemed to have worked, I didn't see a single ant last year. If they can't navigate to the food source and get lost (due to the Mr.Clean/Vinegar) covering their scent/path/trail, they'd just move to my neighbors for food (I'm in a townhouse). Don't know if that's true or not, but it makes sense to me.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Two years ago we had a big problem with them. Terro took care of it, though. It's a weird, wonderful thing to watch them flock to that stuff, carry it home and then never to be seen again. The next day my kitchen counter was a warzone with so many casualties. Last year they stayed gone. I'm sure they'll be back this year, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:38 pm

A bit of Borax mixed with honey seemed to work last year after a few days. Although by the time we tried this solution, the summer was long over.

Edit: I think borax (or sodium borate) is the active ingredient in Terro. Likely way cheaper to get borax and mix with honey yourself.

zenlessyank
Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:04 pm

I've had a major ant problem here at my house for the past few years. Using every kind of poison they sell at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.
Coincidentally, I discovered a water leak in the wall that had been there since it was constructed back in the 80's. Long story short, some stupid muther******** ran a sheetrock screw through my water line in the wall and it slowly rusted out and had a super slow leak. The ants were always crawling on the driveway and exterior walls and would eventually come inside to visit.
Now that the horrible task of repairing the leak is done the ants have disappeared.
So make sure you don't have a small leak in a wall or around the house somewhere, cuz here in San Antonio, these little ants are ruthless and immune to most any poison other than lighter fluid and a match!!!
MSI X58A-GD65, [email protected], EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.

JMTR
Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:13 pm

This year it's been quiet so far. We don't typically get a lot inside but they do like to go up inside of our exterior siding or in the drain holes in our brick. I found a few gels last year that they really loved and it seemed to stop the problem. Time will tell.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:01 pm

zenlessyank wrote:
So make sure you don't have a small leak in a wall or around the house somewhere, cuz here in San Antonio, these little ants are ruthless and immune to most any poison other than lighter fluid and a match!!!

Heh. Mortared stone foundation, dirt floor cellar. Ant combat starts on the ground floor 'cause the cellar is a lost cause.

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:05 pm

This thread needs some pics!

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:36 pm

I get little black pavement ants every year. They usually appear sometime in mid-February, but this year I didn't see any until 3-days ago, which is extremely late. Probably due to the brutal winter.

They're completely harmless, but being so small (and having dark floors throughout), I usually don't see them until I have a borderline situation on my hands. It's weird, because they come up in the same 3-4 locations, all of which are at least 5-10ft away from an exterior wall, and none of which are anywhere near a food source. Left unchecked, they just continue to file in and then aimlessly wander around.

I suppose I could put the poison bait/traps at their spawning points in early Feb and just leave them there, but most of them are in visible areas and would be somewhat embarassing for company to see.
Last edited by The Egg on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:41 pm

BerserkBen wrote:
This thread needs some pics!

If things go as usual, I can provide in about 2-3 weeks. Mine are little red ants. Don't care about the name, genus, phylum, or species. I just want them gone.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Have a few that creep in every year, but after a bit of spraying never seem to have them anymore. So no, but I live on pretty sandy ground so not sure if that helps the situation or not.

astrotech66
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 pm

When my fiance had her house built, she had a pest control system built into the walls. Every so often the pest control guy comes and pumps a bunch of bug killer into a tube sticking out of the side of the house. Apparently it works - in two years of being here, I've barely seen any kind of crawling bug in the house (and here in San Antonio, there are plenty of bugs). It's an awesome system. I had pharaoh ants in my previous house and don't want to deal with that again.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:11 am

Captain Ned wrote:
ludi wrote:

This stuff.. What also does it work on? Ticks? Spiders?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:52 am

tanker27 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
ludi wrote:

By the way it operates on insects (according to the wiki page) it looks like it would be effective against any insect small enough to get itself covered by the power while walking through it.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

conlusio
Gerbil

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 am

-
Last edited by conlusio on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 am

tanker27 wrote:

Pretty much anything with an exoskeleton.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Pretty much anything with an exoskeleton.

Running to my local Hardware store!!!!

Finally something effective that is kid and pet safe.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')