Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Does anyone else have an ASRock Z87 Extreme6?

Fri May 09, 2014 12:29 pm

I'm trying to set up a new machine and I am finding it difficult to get it to boot from USB.

I stopped using optical drives half a decade ago, and have been successfully doing all OS installs from USB. I have one of these with UBCD, various Linuxes, Windows 7, etc., on it. It was supposed to make my life easier.

However this mobo doesn't seem to like it and always drops to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_" whether I use the F11 boot menu or select it within the boot menu in the UEFI. It is definitely showing up in the boot menu, and I can boot from it on my other machines.

I have more testing to do to write OS ISO's to other flash drives that I have and try the rest of the (quite many) ports that exist, but I wonder why I can't find any sort of documentation on this method at all. In the past I could always bring up the GRUB on the USB once I picked it out of the boot menu.

What do you guys do, install operating systems from optical drives?

*Update*: I spoke too soon. Looks like this isostick was just a bit of a waste of money after all, I have a USB3 flash drive that I put a Windows ISO on ages ago, and which has been subject to much mass storage usage since, booted and is running the OS perfectly normally.
Last edited by APWNH on Fri May 09, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Re: Does anyone else have an ASRock Z87 Extreme6?

Fri May 09, 2014 12:38 pm

There's a chance that "isostick" is causing more problems than it solves. If you have a normal USB flash drive available you may try Microsoft own tool for Windows or Unetbootin for Linux.

Microsoft "Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool", this works with Windows 8/8.1 ISOs too.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... vd_dwnTool

Unetbootin has always worked well for me with Linux distro ISOs.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 09, 2014 12:40 pm

I've got a ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac and I installed my win8.1 from a normal usb stick successfully. I've found that if you didn't use the right program to "burn" the iso onto the usb stick, it would act weird and not boot correctly when selected. Also, on this mobo, the usb sticks show up twice with something like uefi and something else next to their name. Choosing the ueif version never worked from what I remember.

Gah, slowriot beat me to it. Use those programs.

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Damn. I want my money back. :x

Yeah I had used YUMI for the USB stick that's working now. It's been a lifesaver and this $100 gadget doesn't even come close.

I also noticed the UEFI boot menu options don't seem to work.

Not to mention, I think finally I have here some hardware that can boot off USB3, meaning I'll get blazing a fast OS install as well, and for that we'll need a USB3 flash drive anyway.

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Sorry there. The functionality of emulating a cd drive is built into win8 and there are free programs to "burn" usb sticks. Something like the isostick has already been made obsolete. It might have been great 5 or so years ago, but not now.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 09, 2014 12:54 pm

I've always had great luck with Rufus for taking random ISO's and making them into bootable USB drives.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks for the tip on Rufus!

Thrashdog
Gerbil XP

Fri May 09, 2014 1:53 pm

If you have access to another machine with a spare SATA jack on the motherboard you can also copy the contents of the install ISO to the fresh drive, make it bootable with DISKPART, and then run the install directly from the hard drive. It's a bit nof kludge, but if you're like me and you don't have USB sticks laying around, it's convenient enough. Besides, you've never seen a faster install than one that's running off of an SSD! :)

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Thrashdog wrote:
If you have access to another machine with a spare SATA jack on the motherboard you can also copy the contents of the install ISO to the fresh drive, make it bootable with DISKPART, and then run the install directly from the hard drive. It's a bit nof kludge, but if you're like me and you don't have USB sticks laying around, it's convenient enough. Besides, you've never seen a faster install than one that's running off of an SSD! :)

Haha that's pretty awesome! I never even considered that, but someday soon I think I may actually have actual spare SSD's to use for this purpose.

I always like to do installs fresh rather than mess around with imaging and whatnot. Loading old software onto a new computer? Blasphemy, I say. So an SSD powered OS install sounds like the ticket, for sure!

Even better would be probably to just get an external eSATA SSD to use for this purpose so that I don't have to open things up (where eSATA is available). It's possible to boot from eSATA, right?

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 09, 2014 4:37 pm

I have a Z77 Extreme4 and if you do not disable fast boot then the mobo won't boot to USB. You also should be using Rufus to make bootable USB sticks.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Indeed I read about Fast Boot. Not only can you not boot USB, you can't even GET INTO the UEFI interface anymore, it's so fast. As it is now, It's plenty fast at getting past BIOS/UEFI with Windows 7, spends maybe a second and a half before starting the Windows loading screen. I don't think I can use Fast Boot with 7 anyway. My last brush with 8 left me incredibly sore and disappointed, so I'll pass on that for now.

The machine is humming along quite happily and I've about pushed it to the limit of the Hyper212+ cooler with 4.3Ghz at 1.25v, it was Intel Burn Test stable at 1.20v but Intel XTU was BSODing me about a minute in to its stress test, but now that's stable as well at 1.25v. IBT takes the temps to the highest out of anything, and at 1.25v it reaches 96C in short order...