Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

What mouse do you use?

Sat May 10, 2014 11:06 am

I have a Logitech G700 mouse that I bought about 2 years ago. It is by far the most precise mouse I have ever used, and it is wireless (which helps for unencumbered precision aiming in an FPS).

Now I am really tired of the other mice that I have to use for more mundane purposes at work and on the other machines I have to operate at home or wherever, and I am quite tired of plugging and unplugging the G700's little RF dongle. Handy and dependable it may be, but I'm tired of it!

While I would be content to just get another G700 since it's so awesome and has built-in memory and my hand is used to it, it is a 2010/2011 design, so I wonder if any of you have recommendations for perhaps some even superior unit. I would particularly fancy a mouse with, at minimum, similar features of the G700 (memory that is independent of config tools installed on host machine), that maybe is designed for 2x AA or AAA cells. This is so I can then mod from serial to parallel so it can handle the voltage when I shove 14500 or 10440 Lithium Iron cells into it. I do not like proprietary Lipoly cell designs, say like the little thin square battery in my Razer Mamba, because they don't hold much of a charge, and NiMH is heavy and leaks and doesn't last all that long.

The G700 truly is a nice piece of kit; I found that I can set the non gaming profile to 250Hz USB rate and it's sufficiently smooth for regular work, and this boosts battery life to a few weeks (on a single NiMH AA cell!). Any new mouse I get pretty much has to surpass this very high bar.

Whats your mouse? Do you like it a lot? Can you recommend?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What mouse do you use?

Sat May 10, 2014 11:24 am

I love the Logitech M325, but it is probably too "no frills" (and maybe too small since you're accustomed to the G700) for you. It does have a micro-step scroll wheel and tilt switches in the scroll wheel, which I find quite useful. No extra buttons beyond the tilt switches though. It takes a single AA battery (which keeps the weight down). Runs for weeks on a single NiMH charge provided you use a "low self-discharge" one like Sanyo Eneloop. The RF dongle is tiny, so it can be used on laptops without it getting in the way (you can even just leave it plugged into the laptop all the time if you want).

My only complaint with the M325 is that the feet aren't as slick as I'd like. This may or may not be an issue depending on the mousing surface. It is easily fixed with some of these (one roll of which should be close to a lifetime supply).

I probably wouldn't recommand it for gaming, but it sounds like you're looking for a mouse (or mice) to use on your non-gaming systems. You can find it for as little as $15 on sale sometimes, so it may be worth getting one just to try it out.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2014 11:30 am

I'll direct you here first. Good thread about nearly the same thing.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=93659
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2014 12:22 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I'll direct you here first. Good thread about nearly the same thing.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=93659

Oooh nice thread. Thanks.

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2014 12:36 pm

I've been using my MS Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 since about 2006. I heart this thing. Balanced feel, sturdy mostly-metal construction, long battery life.
GO CARDINALS!

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 10, 2014 1:01 pm

the trusty MX518

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Razer Taipan that I got with store credit about a year ago. But I just ordered a Mionix Avior through Massdrop, and if the ergonomics are comparable I'll be switching to that.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Sat May 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Rosewill Helix RM-20. It was on sale for $15 when I bought it. I never use more than 1600 DPI or so. For a $15 mouse it's remarkably smooth and comfortable. The build quality is a wee bit lacking and the click is loudish, but it's still a good value.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat May 10, 2014 3:42 pm

When my G700 finally wore out both rechargeable batteries, I plugged in an MX518. The Imperator seems like a good mouse, if you can find it on sale for a reasonable price. I don't know if the G700s is the equal of the old 700.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat May 10, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 10, 2014 3:43 pm

TLDR but DeathAdder 4 lyfe. Best fps mouse out there and the only Razer mouse you should ever buy.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Still using my original DeathAdder. It's a great mouse but I'm never buying another Razer mouse with their driver shenanigans.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 10, 2014 4:23 pm

APWNH wrote:
Whats your mouse?

The one that fits the particular shape of my hand. The brand and model is absolutely irrelevant.

APWNH wrote:
Do you like it a lot?

Of course I do. It does fit the shape of my hand (which is the only thing that matters to me), so yea, I like it.

APWNH wrote:
Can you recommend?

Of course I can't. The shape of my hands and the length of the fingers is most likely different than yours so it would be illogical for me to recommend it to you.

If you liked G700 - go and try "G700s" model, it is a direct replacement for it (just like, for example, "G400s" is a direct replacement for MX518). Logitech doesn't completely change the shapes of their popular models, they just improve the interior components with each replacement model.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 10, 2014 4:32 pm

@JohnC - Not everyone is as picky about mouse shape as you apparently are. Aside from the G700s recommendation, your post comes across as rather rude and unhelpful. What's the point?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat May 10, 2014 5:09 pm

You might consider the Corsair M65 - I think mine is excellent for gaming and for work.

My hands are men's medium size and its the first wide mouse I've liked.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2014 5:15 pm

Microsoft 3500 wireless mouse - its a simple mouse with 8 months battery life...

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 10, 2014 5:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
What's the point?

The point is to go to local shop and try out different mice by YOURSELF. This is the ONLY "helpful" advice anyone can give (or anyone should listen to). If the local shop doesn't have necessary models - there are always online shops like Newegg/Amazon where you can return items you don't like for a full refund.

just brew it! wrote:
@JohnC - Not everyone is as picky about mouse shape as you apparently are.

It's not only about "shape" - it's also about the overall size as well as weight, the location of buttons and the physical feedback of these buttons (including scrolling wheel), all of which are completely subjective. The rest of the quantities are also pretty subjective, though they are less important for variety of reasons, for example the sensor "dpi" which is high enough on all of current mice models - most people don't even need higher than approximately 1800dpi (some actually prefer less), even if you play FPS games competitively as a member of Na'Vi/NiP/Titan/Fnatic/whatever, or for example the software that controls the mouse's settings - most of these software packages function well enough, provide enough adjustments and some people prefer to not use any of these for the games they enjoy to play.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2014 5:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
@JohnC - Not everyone is as picky about mouse shape as you apparently are. Aside from the G700s recommendation, your post comes across as rather rude and unhelpful. What's the point?

I have to agree with JohnC. We are dealing with a device that is used by tactile feel. Since everybody has their own preference to feel, his response is 100% accurate and to the point. You wouldn't ask which bed mattress or underwear feels better and make you decision on that and that should apply to a mouse as well.

Some purchasing decisions are best made with first hand experience.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat May 10, 2014 6:30 pm

If the g700 works well for you, why change?
Deanjo wrote:
Some purchasing decisions are best made with first hand experience.

:roll:
Trump 2020

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2014 9:29 pm

I have the G700s. I think the only difference between the G700 and G700s is that you have the option of wired or wireless. As you're aware, it's an awesome mouse.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2014 9:39 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
Still using my original DeathAdder. It's a great mouse but I'm never buying another Razer mouse with their driver shenanigans.

Same here. Is there a "just say no to mouse DRM" petition out there I could add my name to? If not maybe we should make one...gaming peripherals are a low volume, high margin industry so they might actually listen.

I used to use a Logitech G3, and loved it. Unfortunately their last few design iterations aren't doing it for me because they went way overboard on the tacticool.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Mice suck. Well I don't use em'. ;)

I've been using trackballs since my CH Trackball Pro, way back when, I see they are really expensive now. I have a Logitech Wireless Trackball Pro now and it's pretty good. I also have an Kensington Expert Mouse which is a trackball too.

I like em', they stay put and a good one is very precise. In games I do well. I could stay in the top 3 in most Q3 with the CH and my daughter could dominate with the same trackball. I play ESO right now and the three easy extra buttons are very useful. On the desktop I can smack the ball and be on the other side, I can come pretty close to what I want next with a twitch of he ball and hit it exactly at the end of that motion. It's fast. I do keep it turned up.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sat May 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Nope, no mice if I can help it. I have been using the Logitech Trackman Wheel for years. At least since the early 90's. I have the wired version on my laptop and a wireless version on my gaming computer. I prefer the wired version but they stopped making it for no clear reason that has ever been explained by Logitech.

Once you get used to moving the trackball around with your thumb you won't want to go back to shoving a heavy mouse around your desk wearing out your wrist in the process. The trackballs with the ball on top, requiring you to move it around with your fingers, are useable but I could never get as comfortable with them as I am with the thumb operated version. Plus I find it annoying trying to use the mouse buttons with the same fingers you use to move the ball around.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 10, 2014 10:28 pm

Khali wrote:
Nope, no mice if I can help it. I have been using the Logitech Trackman Wheel for years. At least since the early 90's. I have the wired version on my laptop and a wireless version on my gaming computer. I prefer the wired version but they stopped making it for no clear reason that has ever been explained by Logitech.

Once you get used to moving the trackball around with your thumb you won't want to go back to shoving a heavy mouse around your desk wearing out your wrist in the process. The trackballs with the ball on top, requiring you to move it around with your fingers, are useable but I could never get as comfortable with them as I am with the thumb operated version. Plus I find it annoying trying to use the mouse buttons with the same fingers you use to move the ball around.

A micro schism ... heh. ;) I use the ring finger, the strongest finger, to move the ball. it lives there. I use thumb and pinky for the left and right and the index for the scroll wheel/button.

I can't stand the thumb ones, almost rather use a mouse. I gotta be able to hit stuff, and my thumb is nowhere near my ring finger, in micro control movements.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat May 10, 2014 10:30 pm

SoM wrote:
the trusty MX518

Same here. I'll probably go for something like a G400-family, whatever is current, when this thing dies. It's been awesome for about 2 years and hasn't given me any trouble yet, so I'm hoping it's a long ways out.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 10, 2014 10:53 pm

As a mostly lefty, but often ambidextrous mouser, I had been exclusively using Microsoft Intelimouse Opticals. If Microsoft were still making them, I'd probably still be using them. But, as each has started to bite the dust, I have been replacing them with SteelSeries Sensei Pro MLGs.

I only load the SteelSeries Engine s/w on one of my Windows machines to (re)prorgam the mice or reflash the firmware, then move them to Linux boxes or other Windoze machines.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat May 10, 2014 10:55 pm

MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0.

For me it's just like my Model M affection. I have a stock of replacements, since they're out of production. I care not about headshots in whatever online game I'll never play, but she's a beauty in Excel.

Someday I'll need to figure out how to fix the double-middle click which is always the death of these beasties.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun May 11, 2014 12:47 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Someday I'll need to figure out how to fix the double-middle click which is always the death of these beasties.

I thought someone posted in the last 2 weeks that he fixed something like this (or was it front page comment?). I swear I read it somewhere recently but my search-fu is eluding me at the moment. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun May 11, 2014 1:19 am

FireGryphon wrote:
I have the G700s. I think the only difference between the G700 and G700s is that you have the option of wired or wireless. As you're aware, it's an awesome mouse.

That's not the only difference. Like with the G500/G500s, the "s" denotes an updated sensor here as well. This is important to many people because the "s" versions follow movement that much more precisely and they're basically perfect as long as you use a DPI setting divisible by 200 (regardless of what else Logitech's hack of a driver offers you).

OsakaJ
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 11, 2014 9:32 am

A RAT 7. The base joint of my right thumb has become somewhat useless, and often painful in the last few years. Just one hour of gaming with a regular shaped mouse causes the joint to feel like a hot nail is being driven into it. The RAT 7 can be adjusted so that the back of the mouse forces the thumb into an open position. Problem fixed.
Defend your right to arm bears!

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 11, 2014 10:20 am

Khali wrote:
I prefer the wired version but they stopped making it for no clear reason that has ever been explained by Logitech.

Don't ever try to figure out why Logitech does some of the stuff that it does. It will just give you a migraine. I've been wanting them to come out with a Mac version of the K750 with Bluetooth since every Mac out there has bluetooth standard but they insist on making people use their crappy proprietary dongle.