Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

FF 29.0.1

Mon May 12, 2014 4:41 pm

Stay away. I've tried clicking the X and "File > Exit", but it refuses to close and stays open in Task Mangler. Have to force close to open it again. This does not happen with 29.0.0.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: FF 29.0.1

Mon May 12, 2014 5:05 pm

It's either you or your OS (or maybe something else on your system). Mine closes without issue.

I am on FF 29.0.1.
I am also on Windows 8.1 (Update 1?)
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon May 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Ugh. Despite vexing me all day with this behaviour, it now works as it's supposed to.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 12, 2014 5:13 pm

Of course it does...that was the designer's ultimate intent :wink:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Stay away. I've tried clicking the X and "File > Exit", but it refuses to close and stays open in Task Mangler. Have to force close to open it again. This does not happen with 29.0.0.

Hasty judgement. Don't you think they would've noticed such a bug over the course of alpha, beta, and RC testing before releasing it to the general public?

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 12, 2014 5:56 pm

Meadows wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Hasty judgement. Don't you think they would've noticed such a bug over the course of alpha, beta, and RC testing before releasing it to the general public?

Are you saying that he imagined it?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon May 12, 2014 6:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Are you saying that he imagined it?

When one clicks on the Firefox icon and is greeted with the dialog box that says Firefox is already running (yet nowhere on the Task Bar) one digs deeper. This build is so old that its ghosts have ghosts. With any luck I can fix this issue over the ensuing weekend.

kikib
Gerbil

Mon May 12, 2014 8:04 pm

I find FF 29 and 29.0.1 to be quite sluggish in comparison to 28. It often slows to a crawl at random intervals especially when loading a new tab, switching tabs, or encountering a lot of elements on a webpage. It's frustrating when something gets worse that you frequently use like a browser.
Do'h!

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Recommend giving Pale Moon a try. I am a long time Firefox user and thought I would never switch, but Pale Moon eliminates a lot of the quirks that Firefox has lately been plagued with.

http://www.palemoon.org/
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

malicious
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 12, 2014 9:26 pm

29.0.0 worked fine for me in Windows but it behaved similarly to what the OP described on my MacBook - quitting had a 50/50 chance of the instance getting stuck "not responding" and needing a force quit. I'll be sticking with ESR releases from now on.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 12, 2014 9:32 pm

kikib wrote:
I find FF 29 and 29.0.1 to be quite sluggish in comparison to 28. It often slows to a crawl at random intervals especially when loading a new tab, switching tabs, or encountering a lot of elements on a webpage. It's frustrating when something gets worse that you frequently use like a browser.

The overall sluggishness was what originally convinced me to switch to Chrome/Chromium as my primary browser. It seemed like FF performance got better over the past couple of years though; if it is regressing again that's a shame.

Although I prefer Chrome/Chromium, I am back to using FF when I need to access the web from Linux at work. The corporate web filter/proxy does SSL certificate spoofing, and AFAICT Chrome/Chromium no longer provides any way to bypass the certificate check. I appreciate that they're trying to make things more secure, but they really should've retained the ability to load the page anyway if you acknowledge that you understand the risk.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Since the Firefox 29.0.0 update, I've been experiencing the hangs on close on Windows 7, and 8.1, and Ubuntu, Mint and CentOS.

On CentOS, I went back to their default ESR version. Everywhere else, I've edited the Firefox launch button so that instead of launching firefox directly, it first kills any existing firefox, then launches firefox. At first I thought is was caused by my extensions, but it happens even with none enabled.

This is rather annoying, and I'm considering moving to an ESR everywhere. Though I expect they'll admit/fix it eventually, and doesn't stop me from using it. Several attempts at bug reports, or reopening of old ones, have been made, but at the moment, the devs seem to be in denial.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 12, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm a light FF user and have noticed more instability since 29 dropped. I don't run without certain extensions, though, and I don't care enough to test it. Try turning extensions on and off & see if that helps.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu May 15, 2014 11:01 pm

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1000376

It seems there's a bug in the "Clear History on Close" function. Mozilla is working on regression testing now.

EDIT: Sure enough. Uncheck that box on the History section of the Privacy tab and FF instantly disappears from Task Mangler on close. Recheck it and it stays in memory. I'll keep force-closing until the bug is patched.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

It seems there's a bug in the "Clear History on Close" function. Mozilla is working on regression testing now.

EDIT: Sure enough. Uncheck that box on the History section of the Privacy tab and FF instantly disappears from Task Mangler on close. Recheck it and it stays in memory. I'll keep force-closing until the bug is patched.

THANKS!! No hangs since I unchecked it. I had been averaging about 3 hangs in 5 times.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 16, 2014 8:27 am

Captain Ned wrote:

Ah, that is why I haven't run into that bug. I'm running FF Beta (30 at the moment), by the way.

kikib wrote:

I've noticed this too, but not very often. It usually happens when I get to the 12 windows and 125 tabs range, and it's been running for several days like that.

For me, this might be linked to something with Google Drive being one of those long running tabs, and I'd also recommend getting rid of Flash.

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 16, 2014 11:05 am

anybody else have garbled drop-down field menus in FF 29.0.1--not the menu bar, btw? i have googled and found others with the same problem, but the suggested solution is to disable hardware rendering which basically makes the web like 1998 so is not really a solution. i have just been living with it but it is annoying...happens on the remember password drop-down every time i login to a site.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri May 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Ah, that is why I haven't run into that bug. I'm running FF Beta (30 at the moment), by the way.

Until FF29+ it wasn't a bug, thus the regression testing (i.e. did a new code change in one spot somehow break long-understood code in a stable bit far off from the new code tree?).

If only I could be paid as an alpha tester for the crap apps pushed on us by the Federal banking regulators. Not sure if any of them have ever made it to beta given the lack of support when things go pear-shaped.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 17, 2014 3:54 am

Hopefully not too far off-topic, but I'm looking for a userChrome.css setting to reduce the spacing of the icons in the URL bar. Setting "Small Icons" in ClassicThemeRestorer is a bit too much and causes some other changes that I don't particularly want. The sizing/spacing is OK for 1440p and larger screens, but at 1080p or less the window needs to be too wide to leave enough room for the URL and search fields.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

Until FF29+ it wasn't a bug, thus the regression testing (i.e. did a new code change in one spot somehow break long-understood code in a stable bit far off from the new code tree?).

If only I could be paid as an alpha tester for the crap apps pushed on us by the Federal banking regulators. Not sure if any of them have ever made it to beta given the lack of support when things go pear-shaped.

I don't use the Clear History on Close option, which is why I haven't run into the bug.

Heh. :) Support is the one thing that the government doesn't seem to fund. There are several government agencies that the company I work for deals with, and they have some of the most antiquated, unfriendly systems for getting data...

kikib wrote:

I uninstalled Flash on my work machine today, rather then just blocking it, and it has made a difference.