Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Screenprinting one-off T-shirts

Sat May 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Anybody here have experience with screenprinting custom T-shirts? Originally I was wanting to replicate the two Full Throttle T-shirts from Lucasarts I used to own.

One was the olive drab Corley Motors T-shirt. Black text on olive, with the large Corley Motors logo on the back, and a smaller image of Ben's motorcyle and a woman on the front.

The other was Uncle Pete's Mink Ranch, white text on blue.

The last few days, I've been thinking about designs for even more, like Monkey Island, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Black Lagoon, Weyland-Utani, Tyrell Corp, Tank Police, etc...

My hope is to keep the artwork simple, and rely on good Typographic design, and use as few colors as possible.

Does anyone know the types of file formats I'd need the artwork to be in? Is it expensive to do custom one-offs? Does anybody have recommendations for companies that allow you to design your own shirts?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Screenprinting one-off T-shirts

Sat May 17, 2014 10:12 pm

I actually made a mask and screen printed tee shirts in 6th grade art class.

These days, you'd probably want to print an image on an iron-on transfer on a PC printer. You can also pay someone to do this for you.
http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-gifts/t-shirts
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 17, 2014 11:41 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
These days, you'd probably want to print an image on an iron-on transfer on a PC printer.

Pffft... What is this, last century? There are much better options available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPQ6S85sqKE
:D
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 18, 2014 2:57 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
These days, you'd probably want to print an image on an iron-on transfer on a PC printer.

Except that the quality of iron-on transfers basically sucks.

JohnC wrote:
Pffft... What is this, last century? There are much better options available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPQ6S85sqKE
:D

While I'd love to have one of these, the $25K price tag is a bit much! :lol:

Would be interesting to see a list of online vendors who will print shirts for you with one though. If the marketing pitch is to be believed, the quality should be close to that of screen printing.

Edit: Ahh, looks like the big vendors (e.g. cafepress) must be using tech like this now. Pretty sure last time I checked they couldn't print on dark shirts, but they can now.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun May 18, 2014 4:21 am

I used to go to the mall to have my own T-shirts printed. Man, that was a long time ago, and the malls today are desolate, depressing places; but I think some of them still have such businesses, or maybe that's baseball cap embroidering....