Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: What are you playing right now?

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:02 am

Been playing a lot of Dust lately. I already want a sequel and I'm only 1/2 way through.
X __________________________

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:28 pm

I just got the Black Mesa mod as I've never actually played Half-Life and wanted to see what all the fuss is about (without having to look at enormous polygons covered in vomit textures). I'm really enjoying it so far, the 'feel' of the mechanics is compelling and immediately rewarding - though Black Mesa is based on Source, so I'm not sure if it retains it's original feel.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:03 am

Took out my 9-year old (bought it back in April of 2005) slim Playstation 2. IMHO, the PS2 is the most fun game console out there ever. My old Xbox 360 (bought in June of 2009) doesn't even compare. Don't get me wrong, I love my 360 but I've finished only one game on it, which was Assassin's Creed 1. In contrast I've finished what, more or less 10 games on my PS2, not counting those that I've finished most of the way through but not quite finished the entire game for some reason.

So as for which games I'm planning to play, I remember having a blast playing Tomb Raider Legend and Tomb Raider Anniversary (didn't finished Anniversary though), and God of War is still a great Masterpiece. Too bad I don't know where my copy of GoW is already. And oh yeah, I remember giving away my copy of Shadow of Rome, which is also one of the best PS2 games ever, IMHO. I never quite finished it too but I got so far into the game. Hopefully I can still find these games on the Net somewhere. And of course, Castlevania Lament of Innocence and Castlevania Curse of Darkness are some of my top picks as well. I can't decide which game to play (or replay) first.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:44 am

I've just started playing the original Far Cry. Never played it when the game came out so I figured I would give it a try. I honestly have no idea how people can play that on Realistic mode (the hardest) because even on Easy there are some sections where I die over and over again. It would be okay if I could save on demand but instead there are save points. So you can end up repeating the same section over and over and over again. Still it's a fun game. Sure the graphics are going to be a bit dated but not as much as you think.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:46 am

Recettear.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Just picked up a copy of Batman: Arkham Origins for $10 and have been jamming on that in between Guild Wars 2 WvW raids and some SC: Blacklist. Also, since I just got a 500gb SSD on top of my older 250gb one, I've been installing some older games again. Just installed Far Cry 3 again since its supposed to be getting some decent zombie mods/total conversions that look fun. Also reinstalled The Witcher since I am determined to finish it at some point before moving on to Witcher 2... we'll see how that goes.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Savyg wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Well in the last 3 weeks I've seen the ending credits on Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Assasin's Creed 4 Black Flag, and the AC4 Freedom Cry expansion.

I'm still trying to finish AC3 (the boring one :lol: )

Just plain BAD is what you mean. They gave us an AC game without anything that made the Ezio trilogy great. Glad I only paid around $10 for it or I would be really upset. I heard Black Flag is a lot more fun, so I'll probably get that later... when its $5 to be safe.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Played some D3 on and off. I tend to enjoy grinding through mobs, but nothing's ever hooked me into playing every day or all the way through.

Also dabbled with the new stuff in Kerbal Space Program. I've had this game so long that I should be a lot better about it...oh well. Just building rockets to see what they can do is entertaining enough for me.

Played through Gunpoint a couple more times.

Mostly, though, I've been Playing Pokémon SoulSilver.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:24 pm

nanoflower wrote:
I've just started playing the original Far Cry. Never played it when the game came out so I figured I would give it a try. I honestly have no idea how people can play that on Realistic mode (the hardest) because even on Easy there are some sections where I die over and over again. It would be okay if I could save on demand but instead there are save points. So you can end up repeating the same section over and over and over again. Still it's a fun game. Sure the graphics are going to be a bit dated but not as much as you think.

I've beaten it in Realistic mode... basically it's a matter of going slow and using stealth at all times. You end up avoiding the vast majority of foes, spending a lot of time lying in the weeds waiting for patrols to walk by... and sometimes you've just gotta run away. Fortunately, the AI isn't all that bright. I could never help but chuckle when I'd pick off a merc from a distance with the silent MP5 and their buddy notices the dead body and yells "Are you okay?!"

BTW, you can save on demand with the PC version if you open the console (press ~ key) and type \save_game <filename> and you can load them with \load_game <filename>

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Playing ESO with my son. A funny game, achieved "Slaughtered" yesterday. While swimming a bit too far I got attacked by Slaughterfish and my standard, 180 and sprint swim, did not work.

Having a blast with 5 chars now. I played quite a bit of beta so I kinda know what I'm doing. I expect to lose vast tracts of time in this toy.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

LostCat

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:28 pm

Well I finally picked up Uncharted 3. Not bad. Sheesh the PS3/360 digital markets are still depressing...but anyway.

Good to have something besides Titanfall I actually want to play heh.
Meow.

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:15 am

Finished Dust and started Deus Ex:Human Revolution finally. Also need to finish X-Com
X __________________________

rxc6
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:25 pm

Finished Bioshock Infinite and I just got the season pass. I am excited to go back to rapture. I also have started an Skyrim character on the side.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:37 pm

ESO a lot. My Red Witch:

http://carnagepro.com/eso/Characters/Se ... 0Witch.jpg

My first ever female char. She brings the smack, we'll need a bit of support as she is not real tough, but she does bring the smack.

Having a lot of fun. Dark Anchors appear and we drop everything and run to bring them down. Hilarious.
Last edited by PenGun on Sun May 18, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Picked up Titanfall because my friends (friends who typically recommend games that I enjoy) have been raving about it. Not gonna lie, it's a lot of fun. Definitely a nice break from other FPS games. I was skeptical about it since it has developmental ties to Call of Duty and was built in the aging Source, but it's really about as innovative as modern FPS games have gotten and it's about as pretty as Source could probably ever look. The size of the game on my 240 gigger was a little tough to swallow, but I certainly don't regret the purchase. In fact I have a slew of newly purchased games that I've been ignoring for Titanfall. I haven't even purchased BF4 for myself (been using my friend's Origin account for it), and honestly I don't even plan on it now. Titanfall is more than satisfying my FPS cravings.

My only real qualm is the occasional server issues, but that's to be expected with EA.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

LostCat

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:08 am

Titanfall is awesome but I needed a break...loaded up Mass Effect 3 MP again. And man, my equipment is better than I am! :D

Still doing pretty well in it but heh :) I didn't think anyone would still be playing.
Meow.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 am

nanoflower wrote:

People have mixed feelings about Far Cry 2, but personally, I really enjoyed it, so last year I dug through my box of old PC games and found and installed the original Far Cry (and patched it to the latest version). Graphics-wise, it looks more like a budget shooter now but still not bad considering it's age. The game is also just as hard as I remember. I also played on the lowest difficulty setting and got killed several times. I couldn't even finish the final level! Overall it was definitely nostalgic to re-visit but I don't know if I will bother with it again going forward.

I also used to have the original Crysis on the PC but stupidly gave it away a few years ago. Luckily, I recently got an Xbox Live free account and found it on my 360 in the marketplace. I purchased it and have enjoyed playing it again. Right now I am on a big Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls kick but like playing through bits and pieces of Crysis between bounty runs in RoS. :)

Dimscene
Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Titanfall definitely seems fun and I want to get it. Its currently $37 on amazon, but I have no friends who play it. I've become someone who needs at least one friend to play a game with me.
Currently, though, I'm just playing some BF3 and LoL.

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Just started up a new campaign in the original Halo for PC. Awesome game.
Also had a few marathon sessions of Sins of a Solar Empire lately.
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Recently bought a used copy of Dragon Age: Origins for the PS3. Yeah, I'm behind the times a bit :roll:

Fun game. Can get a little heavy on the cut-scenes and party conversations at times, but at least the dialog is amusing. Combat is a bit repetitive, and the balance is odd at times... for example, a lot of the "boss" enemies seem pretty feeble compared to other random encounters. Others are very tough.

I got to the final battle with a human mage but kept getting completely destroyed by the archdemon. Decided to start over with a rogue, and this time I am taking my time, doing a lot more side quests and especially seeking out the best gear I can find. I want to be leveled up and buffed before I face that bastard again :evil:

My biggest gripe is the long cut scenes that cannot be skipped. Especially the very beginning before you create a new character. I've seen the back story, I want to kill something.

I like that the NPCs have personalities. Some of the party banter is hilarious, especially if you have the elf assassin (I forget his name) and Morrigan in the party together.

JMTR
Gerbil

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:56 pm

Walking Dead on Steam

Khali
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:51 pm

I was getting bored with Skyrim again and felt like some shoot em up time. So I dug out the original Mass Effect. Who knows, I might not get bored and make it through all three Mass Effect games yet again. :P

Esproc
Gerbil

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Just finally got around to starting Dishonored, so far I'm enjoying it.

JMTR
Gerbil

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Installed Kingdoms of Amalur a few days ago. Really like the game. It's got nice graphics, runs silky smooth and the combat has some interesting mechanics with the combination of multiple weapons and magic.

LostCat

Sat May 17, 2014 11:07 pm

JMTR wrote:
Installed Kingdoms of Amalur a few days ago. Really like the game. It's got nice graphics, runs silky smooth and the combat has some interesting mechanics with the combination of multiple weapons and magic.

Overall a good game, but drags on a bit towards the end. Still planning to finish it someday...maybe.
Meow.

Voldenuit

Sun May 18, 2014 3:11 am

Dungeon of the Endless.

A self-described neo old-school pixel art squad-based strategy role playing tower defense roguelike dungeon game.

Yes, it's as fun as it sounds. I've clocked close to 40 hrs in two weeks, and Amplitude keeps adding more content with patches. Someone described it as "what if FTL crash landed in the basement of Binding of Isaac", which isn't too far off the nose. If you like roguelikes and tower defense games, give it a shot, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 18, 2014 9:39 am

Still playing Everquest (evercrack) :)
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun May 18, 2014 11:04 am

Duke Nukem 1. Just got it off GOG for $1.79.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

superjawes

Sun May 18, 2014 2:04 pm

I don't know why I never tried Chivalry before now, but I really like it. I wish the main game was as polished as the Deadliest Warrior version, and I wish Deadliest Warrior had more servers for specific game modes, but both are still great, and a steal at $8.74 (for both).

Oh, and The Stanley Parable is on sale again. If you haven't played it, what are you doing with your life?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 18, 2014 5:17 pm

ESO. My army is rising. Now my enchanter is starting to rock we are all growing in strength. My cook at level 10 is supplying my VR1 NB son as well as my 4 fighters.

Getting a handle on this game and I guess MMOs in general. Complicated and my witch can fry stuff most excellently. My DK can just beat stuff down in very fine style and my NB appears and stuff dies real quick, then he's gone.

Got tactical displays running now, most important is Foundry Tactical Combat and they help quite a bit. It has changed how I do things as I can see the buffs, damage, health, etc etc, realtime. Understanding how things work is a big advantage.