Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Diablo III

Mon May 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Tanker27:

Can you share your damage/toughness stats and paragon level?

I am not as focused as you but just curious what I can aspire to.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Sure here is my toon: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/tank ... o/43751835

and I have 235 Paragon Pts

Edit: I have to rework my crafted pieces a bit.

Edit2: Updated Paragon pts.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue May 13, 2014 7:25 am

Big patch day for D3. Go to Diablofans.com to see the datamined patch notes.

A lot of Crusader changes. One in particular, the run speed penalty for wielding 2h and Shield is being removed. It looks like my Ma'shieldgun build will survive, and make single target damage even better. But also it looks like the Shotgun build with the Fate of the Fell weapon may make a comeback. Is also looks like that Shieldbash builds got a huge buffs. This makes crafting a Piro Morella even more enticing.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Tue May 13, 2014 8:47 am

tanker27 wrote:
Big patch day for D3. Go to Diablofans.com to see the datamined patch notes.

Ahh, so this probably explains why I am getting slow download speeds at the moment. I did a reset to original factory settings on my other laptop yesterday after doing a lot of mucking around with compatibility testing, etc., with older games and am right now re-installing Reaper of Souls. I started the install around 12 Midnight and right now it is getting close to 8AM and the game is only half installed. I seem to be getting 150KB/s to 225KB/s on average right now when normally it would be over 1MB/s. Hopefully these speeds pick up.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 14, 2014 5:04 pm

Console version got a release date of 8/19. If it had released with the PC version I might have gotten it for PS4. But the 5 month delay ensures that no, definitely sticking with PC. The demo for D3 on PS3 was fun with the controller, arguably easier to control in some respects.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Fri May 16, 2014 12:01 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Console version got a release date of 8/19. If it had released with the PC version I might have gotten it for PS4. But the 5 month delay ensures that no, definitely sticking with PC. The demo for D3 on PS3 was fun with the controller, arguably easier to control in some respects.

I am glad to see that PS3 and Xbox 360 owners aren't going to be screwed over and that RoS will be released for these consoles. I bought the 360 version of Diablo 3 last year when it came out and I thought it was a blast. There were a few times when my attack would aim in the wrong direction but generally speaking the controls were decent and I had fun with it. Now that I have a decent computer that can run Diablo 3 properly, I have of course gone back to the PC version, but would be interested in getting the console version after it comes out and drops in price a little. I personally prefer the PC version but both the PC and console versions each have their own appeal.

Now I am trying out some of the other character classes that I have not previously played including the Wizard and Crusader. I like both so far.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 19, 2014 7:34 am

This past weekend was a 100% buff to legendary drop rate as well as 2x rift shards and bonus bloodshards as well. To say the weekend was kind to me is an understatement. I got an embarrassment of legendary plans (over 15 total set/orange plans), the triumvirate which was bitter-sweet as I got a set-piece source moments later, and my favorite drop was probably Odyn's son (not sure on the name) which is a lightning based hammer. So after some tweaking and a want of variety in my build which is still mostly arcane, I went for the best group-play build I could make. I don't often review other builds because I think it detracts from the gameplay for me. I don't mind being inspired but when every game becomes about min-maxing and not grouping with the absolute BiS folks, it's not fun anymore.

Anywho - I'm wearing a Cindercoat, Frostburn gloves, pantheon bracers, and the new fire-source I got. I also got a dupe of my moonguard amulet with the full 25% roll on the Arcane damage, which is fantastic. After tweaking a few things, I'm running a build that gives my group 30% increase damage against all affected targets with almost no CD, and I still hit like a truck. I'm not that squishy but I still need to let the other's soak for me while I deploy myself as long-range artillery :lol:

So because the Odyn's son is lightning based, and has a 23% chance to proc chain lightning I'm getting 2 elemental effects when I cast my Arcane Torrent. I also am using blazer rune for black hole (fire) and blizzard. With all 4 elements that gives me and my group 20% bonus damage against everything affected.

Passives:
I took the cold blooded passive which gives my group an additional 10% damage. In addition, I run the paralysis rune since my arcane power generator is lightning shock (runed for up to 10 targets struck, each struck can proc the Odyn's son proc as well) and the rune itself gives 15% chance to stun for 1.5s. So my arcane torrent + resource generator both stun a ****, all the while my blizzard freezes most things. These both combine for a ton of CC that made Torment IV feel like cake in our group. I'm using the Arcane Dynamo passive which gives you 60% increased damage for the first spell you cast after 5 secondary skill uses - it also affects channeled spells for the duration, so again, a silly amount of damage for that channel. My arcane missiles routinely hit 3-8 mil on crit (~60 crit chance, over 250% crit damage bonus atm) and I can channel that spell for at least 20 seconds, probably averages 4-6 missiles per second once it's ramped up. Every missile has a 12.5% chance to shard off an additional missile for even more weapon damage. It's just the best spell for wizards IMO. Lastly I use the elemental exposure that gives me the +5% damage against all targets for me and anyone else for every element I cast stacking 4 times. Oh, and the pantheon braces passive gives me 12% reduces damage for each nearby stunned enemy. With all the chain lightning procs I get, I feel like a freakin' tank. I have about 350K life which isn't too bad either for a wizard. I'm thinking about swapping cold blooded out for the passive (name escapes me) that gives 20% armor and resists + 10% damage for self only for solo play to see how I do.

I've been tweaking things back and forth because the build is a bit mana hungry without Prodigy, but I really like cold blooded for the group. I'm looking at ways to increase Arcane Power generation via gear/runes currently. Another thing I've been messing with is swapping the blazier black hole spell for other fire damage. The sparkflint familiar is a 10% self-buff that also causes the familiar's damage to be fire based, and it fires at whatever you're nuking presently. I run that with Force Weapon (20% self buff), and magic barrier with the pin point rune for 5% crit. I like the control the blackhole gives me and the group for the mobs. I'm still waffling on the triumvirate I got since it's ~8% bonus to all fire, lightning and ice along with some other nice stats.

The only think I'm not sure of is with the elemental exposure stacks. If I cast my blackhole(fire) and blizzard (frost) initially then start my channel for Arcane Torrent (lightning and arcane) does that keep the 20% stacks up and recharged or does each elemental stack maintain it's own duration separately meaning I'd need to recast the fire and frost to keep their benefit? At any rate, I've been enjoying the drops and have a much more diverse build than my more-or-less pure arcane build. The only thing I miss about my previous build is the event horizon rune on black hole that gave my group a lot more safety in that it can suck up any elite affixes (pools, walls, projectiles, traps) near where it's cast at. That saved us a lot and I feel we're mostly ready for Torment V now so I'm trying to to see where I can sacrifice damage for utility here and there.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 am

That's pretty badass, you're getting stuff that doesn't get calculated into the "toughness" or "damage" quick-compare categories, and using your brain and as a result you're reaping some pretty hefty rewards.

the drop rate bonus goes until 5/22, so keep going! :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
That's pretty badass, you're getting stuff that doesn't get calculated into the "toughness" or "damage" quick-compare categories, and using your brain and as a result you're reaping some pretty hefty rewards.

Yeah I've had over 1 Mil sheet DPS just to see what it looked like. It was very situational. Now I hover around 800K but the result is much, much more damage and a ton of utility too.

I think I'm going to speed clear some act I bounties tonight with a 5 man to stock up on shards. :D

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon May 19, 2014 9:34 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

And that's Theorycrafting. D3 is so much different than WoW when it comes to this. WoW gives you every nuanced stat to let you min/max easy. D3 gives you sheet info and thats it. Your actually damage and survive-ability doesn't even closely reflect what's on the sheet. Just because you have 1.5 mill of damage probably doesnt mean you are doing effective damage. (Its also the reason why I am wearing a lot of crafted gear in TV/TVI. :wink: )

I enjoy theorycrafting a lot myself and I appreciate how its presented in both WoW and D3.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 19, 2014 10:23 am

I like some of what D3 has done with the details, but they leave a lot to be desired IMO. They have a lot of items that say stuff like "a chance to" or something similar, with absolutely no indication of what that chance is. Further, I'm constantly annoyed with the fact that some items seem to have a clear label as to how often something can proc, while others do not. I need to know that internal CD if I'm going to make a decision to use or not use something. I understand that a lot of the orange stats can't be factored in and why in some cases, but sometimes it just feels like oversight or lazy development.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon May 19, 2014 10:43 am

Personally I like the vagueness. It doesnt instantly create cookie cutter builds and fosters experimentation.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 19, 2014 11:15 am

tanker27 wrote:
Personally I like the vagueness. It doesnt instantly create cookie cutter builds and fosters experimentation.

If there was a DPS dummy in town I could wail on, maybe.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 19, 2014 11:57 am

I do wish the "chance to..." thing was etched in stone. Not because it creates cookie cutter builds, but so much awesome stuff drops and you never get a chance to fully experiment before the next awesome thing drops. You need the opportunity to do the math (or rough out the math anyway) in order to get a feel ahead of time.

Lots of percentages are shown - %elemental, crit%, crit damage %, etc. And a lot of other percentages you can see in the details part of your character sheet. But right now I have a wizard with a staff that "occasionally causes nearby monsters to flee in terror". It just kind of auto-fears everything in the room. And if it wasn't for the amazing amount of awesome damage it did, it'd be a huge pain in the ass because I rely on arcane orb and black hole to do a lot of my damage and crowd control for me. Fortunately stuff just melts before it has a chance to get away too far. :lol:

steelcity_ballin wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

This would be very helpful and then you can get away with being vague.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 19, 2014 1:43 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

In ESO I just loop through a dungeon till I'm happy with my setup. Very useful to be able to go over the same ground a few times.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 19, 2014 1:49 pm

PenGun wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

In ESO I just loop through a dungeon till I'm happy with my setup. Very useful to be able to go over the same ground a few times.

I suppose I could do something similar, but it's also difficult when I'm setting up my solo vs group play. Ideally the dummy would tell you when you started smacking it, when you stopped, breakdown of all damage, DPS, Occurrence of X effect, etc. It'd be no different than a no-resist mob that doesn't fight back and has unlimited health.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue May 20, 2014 6:50 am

I can't argue with the request for a dps dummy. Sometimes I would like to know what proc coefficients are for some items with out me having to run a stopwatch or just WAGing it.

Sometimes I wish they would allow for a battlelog that we can download and dissect like in WoW. But thats just the min/maxer in me talking.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:45 am

Anyone still playing? I worked a Crusader up to Torment II and if I could find more parts of my set I think I might be handle even more. Still a blast. :D

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:05 am

Yeah I still play. After getting my Foote and Jenk I've been mostly saddled with TIII and TIV. TV is mostly impossible with Blessed shield even with double Unity's equipped. So I have been working on my Shotgun set, I'm still far from it because it needs a lot of CDR and 6 pc Aakkan to be really effective to solo V and VI. I am 2 PCs short with boots and pants left but Kaddala still will not give them up nor have they dropped. I also have a poorly rolled head and shoulders so I need to replace those. But I do have the Fate of the Fell and Hellskull shield.

I have also been toying with the Fire Starter spec. But just like anything else I need fire gear and Akkan's 6 PC to be effective.

As a side project I have been playing my barb as a lighting Barb, I have a well rolled Thunderfury and Odn's Hammer plus the Thundergod belt. This seems to work well even though I am just in the beginning of fleshing it out and have only tackled TI at the moment.

And when I am really bored I level my Withdoctor who is just but 21.

oh and I am about to reach 300 Paragon pts. So thats a huge help with the WD as I can easily go into Master.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:20 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Anyone still playing? I worked a Crusader up to Torment II and if I could find more parts of my set I think I might be handle even more. Still a blast. :D

I dabble with working on achievements. I am too lazy to progress beyond Torment I with my main. But got everyone but WD to 70 and just finishing up odd achievements while grinding Paragon. Only 61 Paragon so far.

For the first time in some years, I have too many games to play at the same time. 3 Blizzard games, a browser game, and Clash of Clans, plus Iron Cross which I can play even when the Internet is troublesome.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Been working my ass off for the last two weeks. Leveled the rest of the originals chars up to 60+, gonna get to 70. Then I'm gonna level the crusader 1-70 in one go, probably powerleveling with a few mates.

That said, my Wizard is definitely up to T2 farmable, bit too low on the DMG side thanks to mostly craftable legendendaries, but it's a tanky wizard. 18.7M Toughtness and lowest resist is 2000+, buffed numbers, but DMG is on the low side with only 850K. Managed to cram full bonuses for both all three of Tal Rasha, Aughild, Asheera on it.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Cove ... o/43409187

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:49 am

I'm a little annoyed/jealous that my wife has been to Whimsyshire twice via rifts, and a third time has fought the Whimsyshire enemies in other locales. I was in co-op for one of them but I've never encountered it solo, and I never made a staff of herding.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:39 pm

OK since the last post in this thread, Diablo III is about all I've played. I have all 6 classes at 70, and around 125 paragon levels. That's not a lot for some people, I guess, but it's basically all of my gaming time. At this point, Witch Doctor is my favorite - I run with Zombie Dogs and a Gargantuan mostly, and it's really fun.

Anyone else still in? Have you seen the patch notes? The list of changes is extensive, but basically it feels like a "same-ening" of certain unpopular skills along with a greater emphasis on getting healing from gear/abilities over life globes. I didn't play in the PTR, but later tonight I'm sure I'll dive into the game for a while. I'm EvilPencil#1944 if someone wants to add me.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

I took the last month off but I play HC with 3-4 people on a regular basis. I think we are picking the pace back up a bit with the new seasons. My favorite classes are the WD and Barb, I have a 70 Crusader as well he was okay.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
OK since the last post in this thread, Diablo III is about all I've played. I have all 6 classes at 70, and around 125 paragon levels. That's not a lot for some people, I guess, but it's basically all of my gaming time. At this point, Witch Doctor is my favorite - I run with Zombie Dogs and a Gargantuan mostly, and it's really fun.

Diablo III and Hearthstone are basically the two games I've been playing these past several weeks (months?) too. As for Diablo, I started several hardcore characters to increase my involvement and interest.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Been playing quite a bit of D3 lately. I'm excited for the new patch stuff. Ready to check out the Greater Rifts and the Legendary Gems are a much needed addition. I generally play only Hardcore. Yes, I've lost a 70 before... ok, twice. It's painful when it happens but the increased thrill and focused from playing a HC character is well worth it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:01 pm

I have lost every hardcore character I've made, but I kinda got put off of it back in the 1.08 era - not Battle.net's fault, but Comcast's. If my internet dropped even a tiny bit I'd get booted, and then by the time I logged back in I'd either be dead or near death. I occasionally pulled it out but I'd lose it again. Now that I've dumped Comcast, I think I'm safe to try again.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Yes, the online-only-ness of PC D3 still annoys me. Doubly so since the console releases do not have this requirement. I was leveling a Barbarian over the weekend that I lost because of the DDoS nonsense going on. Which was far more painful than the level 70 Demon Hunter I lost just hours earlier. The DH was a total "Oh no, I just got walled in and this boss spawns arcane sentries... I'm going to die." So there was about a 3 second period, which seemed like an enternity, where I knew I had gotten myself in a pickle, allowing me to go through all the stages of grief... and then I died. The Barb was just a random "NO why is everything out of sync!" and then death. That made me rage quite a bit.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:12 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'm EvilPencil#1944 if someone wants to add me.

I added you (if only to ask what kind of name "evil pencil" is), only to realise two days later that I'm not going to see you online because you probably play on the American server.
Talk about a slow realisation.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:34 am

Weird bug in D3 last night, all of my achievements don't show up now. I guess it's common. Blizzard's recommendation is to "log off and log back in a few times".

I tried that and that didn't work so I decided to play something else.