Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

World Cup 2014

Thu May 22, 2014 5:49 pm

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1 ... ad?cc=5901

Not bringing Landon Donovan? Bloody 'ell, that's like England not bringing Rooney or Lampard.

Guess they figured they'd never get out of group so are tanking early and if you believe that FIFA allows the US group selection to be truly random, I've got a bridge I'd like you to make an offer on.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: World Cup 2014

Thu May 22, 2014 6:12 pm

WTF!?

That's just insane. To leave the best U.S. Soccer player at home? WOW
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 23, 2014 7:47 am

It's a good move. Wondo has more upside, and there is more pressure on the rest of the team to step up.

I've always felt Donovan was a little over-hyped, and England did leave Beckham off a few years ago.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat May 24, 2014 11:45 am

Sounds like his coach is not a fan.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 29, 2014 7:46 am

None of what Klinsmann makes sense to me in regards to leaving Donovan off the roster for this year's World Cup. The more I learn about the relationship between Donovan and Klinsmann, the more I believe that Klinsmann's decision was based on personality conflicts and not what Donovan brings to the team. I really hope that Klinsmann knows something about the rest of the squad that we common folk don't, and we have a stellar performance this year.

Granted, we've found some unexpected success with him as coach (beating Mexico, Italy, Germany, etc.), but I don't foresee us going far in this year's World Cup. The soccer gods have decided to not only put the U.S. in the Group of Death, but to also exclude our best scoring player ever from even stepping onto the pitch.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Pez
Gerbil

Thu May 29, 2014 8:27 am

Obviously I'll be following England but I have a soft spot for the Dutch, I've lived and work there and they're great supporters and play exciting football too. So i'll hoping for an England/Holland Final but I think it'll be either Germany or Brazil personally taking home the cup.
i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz - ASUS Maximus Gene VI - Sapphire Radeon FURY - Custom Watercooling - Corsair 350D
Acid Techno DJ

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 29, 2014 9:04 am

Dizik wrote:
None of what Klinsmann makes sense to me in regards to leaving Donovan off the roster for this year's World Cup. The more I learn about the relationship between Donovan and Klinsmann, the more I believe that Klinsmann's decision was based on personality conflicts and not what Donovan brings to the team. I really hope that Klinsmann knows something about the rest of the squad that we common folk don't, and we have a stellar performance this year.

Donovan is old, and he's lost a step or two. That's the long and short of it.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu May 29, 2014 9:19 am

While Donovan may not be in his best form, not bringing him sounds pretty stupid. That's basically saying that everyone else available who plays in that position is a better choice, which is a fact that I doubt.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 29, 2014 10:57 am

I would say they are, and I would have cut him too. Forwards need to have lots of speed, especially in the World Cup. Plus, the US doesn't really produce great forwards, so sheer athleticism is an asset.

If Clint Dempsey or Michael Bradley had been cut, I would really question the coach.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:30 am

Someone explain to me exactly why Klinsmann is the U.S. coach?

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/st ... -world-cup

I mean really WTF? What a great de-motivator. If I could play I certainly wouldn't want to play for this jackass.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:00 am

Because he's German, and he's had success in the World Cup.