Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

AMD Catalyst 14.6 Beta Driver for Windows available now

Tue May 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Hello everyone,

The Catalyst 14.6 Beta Driver for Windows is now available fordownload.

Please don’t forget to read the Feature Highlights and the Known Issues sections to learn more about this version of the driver; and use the Issue Reporting Form to report any bugs – Thank you!
Sam
Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
Official AMD Representative

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: AMD Catalyst 14.6 Beta Driver for Windows available now

Wed May 28, 2014 2:12 pm

I wonder if it will solve my Mantle super hang problem where both screens make a snow crash while the OS behind is still working. That is one of the problems with going closer to the metal, suddenly a really bad error will hang the card instead of making your driver reset.

Edit: Not a good driver it seems. - Cant start Control Center after installation and the first it did was bluescreen on me.
"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe.Config" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax."

I'll wait for the release perhaps.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Seems to be working great for me. I noticed a huuuuge improvement in Watch Doges over the latest official (non-beta) drivers, 13.something I think. On my 7870, the old ones gave me between 40-60fps, these give 55+fps constantly and I can even turn VSync on and kick up a few other options. Hooray drivers.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 28, 2014 3:20 pm

A full deinstall, reinstall solved the non starting catalyst control center for me. Must've been a fluke from the bluescreen the first time that made it miss something. Guess it was because of the new eyefinity features, since the error it threw was related to side-by-side configuration and I run a 2 monitor setup with 2560x1600 and another 1200x1920, as in secondary screen on vertical axis.

Still no verdict if it will solve the mantle problem. That particular problem only comes after a few hours of gameplay with mantle, so my guess is either faulty execution of a mantle routing or memory leak somewhere. Gonna continue with battlefield and see if it shows up.

That said, I love the fact they now allow 10 bit / channel color settings for supported DP and HDMI displays. Something that hasn't been allowed in consumer drivers for a long time. The FireGL has had it since it's made for professional work. I have a Dell u3011 30" Adobe RGB monitor that supports 10bit / channel. Now gonna go test it out with some nice scales in photoshop to see if the dithering artefacts are gone. Hmm, bad thing, still doesn't allow for setting your actual color quality any higher then 32 bit(4 x 8bit/channel), or it might not support it on OpenGL which is what photoshop uses. Dunno, been used to it for so long now so...

New Eyefinity mode's seems decent, but despite having support for uneven resolutions on different screen's, it still can't support my setup where one screen is rotated to vertical orientation. It resets the orientation to normal which means it is still pretty much useless for me. Oh well, one day I wally want to run a 2560x1600 with a vertical 1600x1200 on each side in vertical (1200x1600 mode).

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2014 4:18 pm

Thank you very much for your feedback everyone.

Hello Aphasia,
If you don't mind, could you please post your verdict about the Mantle problem when you're ready? I will make sure to forward your feedback, including the Eyefinity mode issue, to the Driver Team. Thank you!
Sam
Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
Official AMD Representative

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 28, 2014 4:55 pm

I will be away for a few days on holidy now, back on sunday before I can play, but the problem itself with Mantle is usually intermittent, and I dont know a sure way to provoke it, but if it happens again I will mention it.
I posted a few images of it in the 14.4 thread. And if you want to see it live, I PM'ed you a link to a .mov file. Not much use, except pretty much the trippiest hang since C64 days.

As for the other thing, Anandtech also mentioned it as no support for portrair-landscape-portrait support, so that is a feature request, not a bug ;)

Really appreciate it though.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 30, 2014 3:48 am

Warsam71 wrote:
Hello everyone,

The Catalyst 14.6 Beta Driver for Windows is now available fordownload.

Please don’t forget to read the Feature Highlights and the Known Issues sections to learn more about this version of the driver; and use the Issue Reporting Form to report any bugs – Thank you!

Hi Warsam, can you tell us when we should expect Mantel support for HD7970 ???

EDIT: My apologies, its working, for some reason the option was just not there on Thief...

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 31, 2014 9:33 am

Definitely not a smooth gaming experience with Mantle.
I get stutter, frames dropping swinging back up in BF4.
Went back to DX11
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 31, 2014 6:02 pm

IAmGhostDog - Do note that Mantle doesn't make much if anything if you are GPU Limited. If you are CPU Limited and your card have more to give, then you get more. If the card in your sig is correct, you might very well be GPU limited depending on the resolution you play on.

There is no free lunch, but there is a good bit of performance to get if you have a powerful card that don't have enough work.
My 290x wen't from basically unplayable on certain maps to perfectly playable since the CPU has a more efficitiant path to take. That said, I'm currently doing High on 2560x1600 current since Ultra seems to have a bug in that makes the CPU Spike every now and then, probably memory or texture related.

A 7970 I had before, couldn't get a decent framerate out on high at all with 2560x1600, had to run it at Medium doing DX.