Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

plonk420
Gerbil
Topic Author

Watch Dogs Lighting Quality...?

Thu May 29, 2014 10:11 am

tl;dr: anyone have good screenshots of examples of decent lighting in Watch Doges?

at first, i was a bit put off by the money put into the game's marketing

then, some "leaked 4k images" hit imgur, which intrigued me a bit.

then some reviews saying the gameplay was decent (tho story not so much).

so this warmed me up to maaaaaybe buying at ~$40 or so. maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe sooner. (but uhhhhhgh, uPlay)

then today, while looking for frametimes mentioned in reviews, i noticed while architecture (and previously mentioned foliage) looks great, and textures decent, nothing's blown me away by the lighting.

anyone have screenshots showing notably good lighting?

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Watch Dogs Lighting Quality...?

Thu May 29, 2014 10:15 am

I can get you some screenshots, but the game looks average at best? IMO, there's a much better sense of realism in the lighting and shadows if you turn on the games HBAO+ High feature in the graphics options. My Pc won't entertain that though at anything greater than 15 FPS.

I run it on the High pre-set for graphics, and it's running smoothly for me mostly. No complaints there so much...
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

killadark
Gerbil XP

Thu May 29, 2014 10:40 am

http://www.giantbomb.com/watch-dogs/303 ... e-1484406/

perhaps theses are what your looking for?
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 29, 2014 12:42 pm

Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

plonk420
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 29, 2014 9:06 pm

wow, that's pretty decent for low

ultra ... doesn't seem THAT impressive at times :S ...tho, those wet reflections are pretty nice

edit: THIS was kinda cool

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 30, 2014 6:32 am

I hadn't really given it much thought, but I guess even at it's base level of detail, the graphics engine looks about as good as Xbox One / PS4 (just higher res).

All my screenshots were taken using the "High" pre-set, with FXAA enabled. The HBAO+(performance killer) was disabled. I'm running it on a low spec PC.

Other games look nicer, and run smoother though - The 3 year old NFS Shift:2 Unleashed is Dx9 for example, but is much sharper and has better lighting and effects. The graphics engine in Watch Dogs is not at it's full potential, as the early videos from E3 show this game looking a LOT better. We will see what happens in time - The game is a lot of fun either way, regardless of how it looks... :-)
Last edited by geekl33tgamer on Sat May 31, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 31, 2014 6:10 am

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 31, 2014 5:28 pm

Triple post ftw - Jokes aside and those pretty screenshots aside, this game has some awful bugs in the rendering engine when things are moving. There's random textures, walls, lighting and shadow problems. I've made a short vid, see for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBzHdp4-FyQ

Adding this to my already long list of bugs in this game. :-/

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 31, 2014 5:48 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:
Triple post ftw - Jokes aside and those pretty screenshots aside, this game has some pretty awful bugs in the rendering engine when things are moving. There's random textures, walls, lighting and shadow problems. I've made a short vid, see for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBzHdp4-FyQ

Adding this to my already long list of bugs in this game. :-/

That really looks pretty bad... But I haven't seen such horrible texture popping (or tearing, or anything bad) on my PS4 :P

Which again, makes me wonder - why do so many people feel extremely masochistic and try to play this particular game on PC? :wink: I have a pretty powerful enough PC myself, and the overclocked GTX Titan in it is more than capable of running the game at max settings (especially max textures), however I knew this game will obviously be heavily optimized for console's hardware and their proprietary APIs/drivers, not to mention the in-game controls, so I got it for PS4 instead and still enjoy relatively bug-free experience - no major rendering issues, the driving is much, MUCH more enjoyable using thumbsticks and Uplay (yes, the console version includes the custom version of it) is much less "intrusive"/noticeable and you don't even need to log into it if you don't care about "multiplayer" part... The ONE and ONLY minor drawback of console version are the lower res textures, but the difference is not very noticeable, especially if you're focused on the gameplay.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 31, 2014 6:03 pm

You know, you make a good point there. I've had a string of games over the last year that are terrible on the PC - This and SimCity spring to mind immediately, but they are by no means on their own in that list. The latter is patched and nice to play now, but it took EA long enough. Games like that will keep me gaming on a PC, and Titanfall is recent and a lot of fun (It also had a near perfect launch and plays so smoothly on a PC).

Can't deny how easy and tempting a PS4 looks though, rather than upgrade this aging tower of silicone to play newer games in the future. It can just about scrape by at 1200p, and is well into it's retirement year either way. May spend the money elsewhere now...

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 31, 2014 6:34 pm

It definitely is, I find using it more and more, both for games and as a Blu-Ray player or for streaming services like Netflix/Amazon... It's not really "perfect" due to lack of infrared port, the small blower fan which can get somewhat loud (Xbox One's cooling solution is significantly better) and there's still no Twitch.tv app (for viewing all available streams) for it available but it's still an extremely convenient device, especially for playing such games as Watch Dogs (or any other future console-prioritized games).
I even got the "Transistor" for it and not for PC :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 31, 2014 7:13 pm

I haven't noticed any graphical glitching on my PC at all (660 on a A10-7850K w/ 8 gigs of RAM)

A little stutter, but the 660 isn't exactly fantastic anymore and my settings are pretty high.

I'm not really sure why all the negativity towards the PC version.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat May 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Looks like standard last-gen console-focused graphics to me.

We're still, and quite unfortunately, rather far away from games actually using the potential that these new consoles present, and that's going to happen before we see a 'real' upgrade to PC graphics for a broad swath of titles. Half-assed, unoptimized features that are shoehorned in after the fact (as Watch Dogs' HBAO setting appears to be) with no eye toward actually making said settings usable do not really count.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 31, 2014 8:24 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Looks like standard last-gen console-focused graphics to me.

It actually is, but I didn't expect anything else from a company known to produce and publish such mediocre releases... Unlike many, many sites and other people who were really overhyping it and almost comparing it to a Second Coming of Jesus long before the game's release. Including TR's front page :wink: Although it's pretty understandable since Ubisoft spent a huge amount of money for this marketing campaign :wink:

Anyway, the game is still fun to replay at least once, it's just not really memorable or unique experience (basically a "GTA with hacking and stealth mini-games") and the game is best experienced on consoles and NOT on PCs (just like GTA was).

Savyg wrote:
I'm not really sure why all the negativity towards the PC version.

Is this the only site you ever visit during the day? If "yes" - I feel sorry for you.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/28/575799 ... erformance
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/28/ ... erformance
http://www.hngn.com/articles/32735/2014 ... e-data.htm
http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/ ... 5de975bfa0
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubisoft- ... ng/0133202

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 31, 2014 11:16 pm

I also visit shacknews and neowin regularly. But no, I don't bother with those.

Anyway, I just changed MHBAO to HBAO+ Low because of this lil guide http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides ... king-guide
Meow.

killadark
Gerbil XP

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk
THE E3 VS PC VERSION :D
lighting looks better to me in that
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:31 am

It was a tech demo to generate pre-sales hype, of course it would look better :roll: Remember another overhyped demo for another Ubisoft's game called "The Division"? Well, THAT game is still very, very early in development process and will most likely be released somewhere in 2015 (if not later).

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:16 am

killadark wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk
THE E3 VS PC VERSION :D
lighting looks better to me in that

Not only is lighting/shadowing better in the E3 version, it also had more particle and fog effects, some of which are completely absent from the released version.
If Ubisoft know what's good for them they will release an update later on, enabling some or most of the effects we lost compared to the previews.