Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Chris Dolly
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Which Blu-ray player software for Windows 8?

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:19 am

I just recently updated to Windows 8 and when I tried to install the PowerDVD 10 that came with my Bluray Drive it installed fine but when I tried to play a Bluray it said something about Integrity of Drive or Software or something. So this is why I am looking for a new Software. I tried looking online and most are Pay to use like UFUSoft Blu-ray Player or I have never heard of so I dont know if I can trust it.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Re: Which Blu-ray player software for Windows 8?

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:28 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all Blu-ray media players paid, not free?

Consider this a bump. I'm interested in this too. I have a Blu-ray drive, but can't watch my movies on it. :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:33 am

Milo Burke wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all Blu-ray media players paid, not free?

Consider this a bump. I'm interested in this too. I have a Blu-ray drive, but can't watch my movies on it. :)

All US-legal Blu-Ray players are paid, and links to free players will run afoul of Rule #1. Before anyone complains, look no further than the DMCA.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:38 am

I know most people are shocked when they find out how much they have to pay for a Blu-Ray software solution, but I bought one generally regarded as the best:

http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/

I got it from Staples for only $27 after using up accumulated gift cards, but at almost $90 it's a hard sell to an average computer user. No wonder BD isn't gaining any traction in the marketplace.

PS - before this topic goes off in ->->that direction, I will say that there is no FREE Blu-Ray playback software that you can discuss. Yes, you WILL have to pay for it if you want to watch BD.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:51 am

VLC can can do SOME things...

From Wikipedia:
"Windows 8 support

The VLC port for Windows 8 is backed by a Kickstarter campaign to add support for a new GUI based on Microsoft's Metro design language that will run on the Windows Runtime. It brings support for DVDs, VCDs and unencrypted Blu-ray Discs, none of which are supported natively in Windows 8.[33] All the existing features including video filters, subtitle support and an equalizer will be present in Windows 8."

www.videolan.org

Also, older cheaper versions of premium blu-ray software are available.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

mikepers
Gerbil

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:35 am

If your monitor has a free hdmi input how about an inexpensive physical blu-ray player? Might be cheaper and easier:

Samsung at Bestbuy

or

Samsung at Amazon

Just a thought.

Scott Chamberlain
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:07 am

Chris Dolly wrote:
I just recently updated to Windows 8 and when I tried to install the PowerDVD 10 that came with my Bluray Drive it installed fine but when I tried to play a Bluray it said something about Integrity of Drive or Software or something. So this is why I am looking for a new Software. I tried looking online and most are Pay to use like UFUSoft Blu-ray Player or I have never heard of so I dont know if I can trust it.

VLC can play blu ray movie, i have used for several discs, but you need download and place the AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys in order to play Blu Ray on Windows 8. And for the latest blu ray disc movie which are not supported by VLC, you can use the third-party software like UFUSoft blu ray player you mentioned, it works well. Hope it helps.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:10 am

mikepers wrote:
If your monitor has a free hdmi input how about an inexpensive physical blu-ray player? Might be cheaper and easier:

Samsung at Bestbuy

or

Samsung at Amazon

Just a thought.

I use a paid copy of the latest PowerDVD, and it does work quite well, but the best way to play Blu-rays is to just get a hardware player, or get a console that can take care of it for you.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Many free programs (Media Player Classic is another) can play Bluray content right off of the disk, what they can't do is circumvent the lovely DRM the industry is incessantly cramming down their paying customers' throats. Movies are like games or other software. when you buy the disk, you don't actually own the movie. Only the right to watch it. Recently, this has gone so far legally as to almost prevent a media owner from even legally backing up his/her movie: I think you are technically allowed to make a single backup, as long as you don't touch what you've ripped OR circumvent the DRM (yes, I think there is actually legislation stating that paying customers can't legally circumvent DRM to make backups). This means re-encoding said streams and packaging them in convenient containers for playback (eg, mkv) is illegal, even if you own the disk. This also means that reducing bitrate/resolution for playback on mobile devices is also illegal.

I know this has been stated numerous times in numerous places before, but with all this incessant DRM and continual firmware updates required even for hardware players to often playback, even in the crippled format the studios let you view the content (mandatory previews, menus, etc) it's like the industry is purposefully sabotaging the BluRay format. The irony, of course, being that this DRM has never stopped would be pirates for long, and probably never will.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Why did I know it would come to this.

If you live in the US there IS NO FREE SOFTWARE THAT CAN LEGALLY PLAY A DRM-ENCRYPTED BLU-RAY.

If you don't live in the US, you can't discuss it here on a US-hosted website.

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.