Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Origin's Confusing Interface

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:14 am

I haven't gamed on Origin for a while.. I just saw and bought BF3 End game on sale for $4.50.... How the heck do I play this thing?????

After downloading and clicking on play origin opens another tab that is so confusing I want to pull the friggin hair out of my head.. I do not see anywhere to play this thing.. I launched BF3 hoping an option would come up for End game and there is nothing...

Re-launched the origin browswer launched BF3 again... and again it opens another tab adversting origins games that are on sale but does not show me any way to play this damn thing!

HELP>>>> How do I Play BF3 End GAme?

Sub Rant:

Why do all publishers automatically assume that all gamers are 100% versed in online gaming protocols Single player games should not be a write off!

Jon1984
Gerbil XP

Re: Origin's Confusing Interface

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:44 am

Isn't End Game a BF3 expansion? Do you have the base game also?
i5 3570K - Nepton 280L - P8Z77-V - 4x4Gb - 290X Gaming 4Gb - 2x F90 - Spinpoint F3 1Tb - S340 - CS750M
MX239H AH-IPS - Ryos MK - Kone Pure Military - HyperX Cloud - Win 10
Xiaomi Mi A2

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:43 am

Did you let it install the Battlefield 3 plug-in in your browser?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:15 am

Step one: Install Rube Goldberg trojan horse (origin) on your computer.
Step two: ????
Step Three: Profit!!!!
If doesn't work:
Step Four: Yarrr....jk. :lol:

Seriously though, If it's that bad, don't bother. It only encourages them. I don't. Just find an alternative game over steam.

The Egg

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:27 am

So far I've managed to avoid Origin altogether, and hope to continue this for as long as possible. I'm not so much trying to avoid Origin as I am anything made by EA. The company is a cancer to gaming.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:45 am

matdem1 wrote:
I haven't gamed on Origin for a while.. I just saw and bought BF3 End game on sale for $4.50.... How the heck do I play this thing?????

After downloading and clicking on play origin opens another tab that is so confusing I want to pull the friggin hair out of my head.. I do not see anywhere to play this thing.. I launched BF3 hoping an option would come up for End game and there is nothing...

Re-launched the origin browswer launched BF3 again... and again it opens another tab adversting origins games that are on sale but does not show me any way to play this damn thing!

HELP>>>> How do I Play BF3 End GAme?

Sub Rant:

Why do all publishers automatically assume that all gamers are 100% versed in online gaming protocols Single player games should not be a write off!

Open Origin, go to your library.

Either hover your cursor or right click (not sure which off the top of my head) on BF3. When a little pop-up is displayed, click on the little button with an "i" on it.

This should launch a screen that shows BF3 and all possible additional content. You will see End Game there and be able to download it if you have not already.

If you have already downloaded it, you just need to launch BF3 as you normally would. Once you are in Battlelog, click Multiplayer > Server Browser.

Now on the left side, you will see it lists BATTLEFIELD 3 and all expansions. Tick the box for End Game to make it only show servers running End Game maps.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm

End Game is a DLC content and is accessed through the normal Multiplayer server browser in battlelog as the rest of the game. Go to http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/ login, klick multiplayer -> server browsers, set filter on end game maps, and find a server to play on. Then add a shortcut to that page in your browser or start menu.

Or you can do it the hard way by opening origin, right click bf3 - choose play and it will launch battlelog in a browser for you. Then you can do the same as above.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Origin has a UI? I thought it was all a giant ad.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:30 pm

It is a giant advert, I mean, just look at it right now:

No less than 5 separate advert area's right there. Sucks that my favourite game of the moment (Titanfall) uses this *thing*. Sigh...

...no wonder the OP can't find what he's looking for on it. And will you look at those prices. :o
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:50 pm

All this hate for Origin, and it's only job is to download, install, and maintain your games in the *exact* fashion that Steam does.

And it works. There are reasons to hate EA, but Origin isn't one of them.

As a side note, I'm not terribly pleased either that a number of my favorite franchises, like Battlefield, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age, are EA, but that doesn't stop me from playing them. EA is a publisher, not a developer.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:08 pm

EA's storefront is a joke.

I know Steam was shaky and annoying for a year or two after HL2 (which was the first time people were forced to use it) but once other publishers started joining the fray it stopped being an irritation and started becoming an asset - I could download games fast, the P2P method of distribution meant that I didnt' have to pay to download - I stopped buying boxed CDs and DVDs and started loathing games that weren't available on Steam. Then there were the sales OMG THE SALES. Cloud Sync is probably the killer feature for me. It took five years to appear, but it means that I can play on multiple machines without constantly rebinding keys and copying savegames across.

Origin has so far done nothing to redeem itself and is therefore still classified as an unwanted burden. None of the valuable features Steam offers are available with Origin, so it's just an auto-updater that spends all its time updating itself and pushing ads in your face. What's even more inexcusable is that Valve learned what people want from a distibution platform the hard way; through trial and error. EA should *know* what people want because there's an internet of people saying what they like and hate about Steam.

Did they pay any attention?
This is EA we're talking about, of course not.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Origin has had cloud syncing for years now, and I have no idea what you're talking about with respect to the P2P thing- it still comes down the pipe unless it's stored locally, in which case you can just copy game folders around with Origin exactly as you can with Steam- oh, and Steam updates itself and serves adds to you too.

About the only main difference I see with Steam vs. Origin catalogs, is that Steam serves up tons more indie and/or crappy games. Some people like that stuff, but it's not a knock against Origin, since having Origin doesn't preclude you from having Steam and vice versa.

Seriously people, if you want to play games, go play games. Neither Steam nor Origin really get in the way. And there was a time when we hated Steam too.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
And it works.

Except when it doesn't. Which still happens often enough ;-) And the bugs are pretty ridiculous - this thing STILL can't even detect a proper OS version (giving a generic message about "unfortunately your OS is not supported, it requires Vista or later" to people who try to install any Origin-enabled games on Win7/Win8) in some cases for some people, a bug which existed for a long time already :wink: Plus there are other bugs, like being unable to remove certain "Betas" from your list of games and dozens of others. You can find plenty of them in EA's own forums :P
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Just for the record, we must have different origins. Not to mention, what do you expect when you go to a storefront. But just as you have to with steam, you do have to set origin to do what you want. You did look at the "Origin->Application Settings" and set origin to start with the game tab instead of your store front, right ?

As for my experience. I never see any ad's, my origin defaults to my game tab. Haven't had any bug in ages. And I get a 8-10MB/s (yes megabyte/s) download. I also don't use it to start my games since all the installed games has an icon on my start menu which comes with the install. So origin is unitrusive, quite lightweight and works fine for autoupdating. Not to mention I've gotten at least three free full games for nothing else then being on origin, not even steam gives away games. They gave away BF3 this week, a month ago they gave away Dead Space, and somewhere in between, plant's and zombies, I dont play that, but they did for those who like it.

And more importantly, if you get ANY Problem at all, you actually have a supportnumber you can call and have a person help you. Any problem with steam, boom, you are out for a week or two while they waddle through a email script a mile long while you pray to get a more competent person look at your case. If they even answer the first tree days.

As for Steam, Origin exists exactly for one single reason, because Steam basically said, we want 30% of any profits of anything published on our platform, and you arent allowed to have in-game purchases that don't give us the same cut of the DLC. Boom, EA dont want to give away profit, they make Origin and make tripple A games exclusive to force adoption.

And Greenlight, it's a joke, but that's another issue altogether. go and look at totalbiscuit's take on it, I pretty much agree fully with that. More games doesn't equal better games. Especially not when the storefront get's flooded with crappy several year old games and push any good releases away.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Both Origin and Steam have their issues but I have to say that Steam has been much better than Origin, for me. I did have an issue with Steam earlier when I went to add a game to my account and Steam was down for a while. After about 30 minutes it came back and I was able to get in. I haven't run into this issue myself because I haven't tried multiplayer on Origin but I've heard of many people having issues with multiplayer games on Origin. Particularly Dodger and Jesse Cox from YT trying to play Dead Space 3 and failing more times than not due to Origin getting confused.

Still, having digital distribution has led to a savings. Not with the initial release of games as studios still ask just as much for a digital release as for a physical copy, but over time the prices come down for digital releases much more quickly than they ever did for physical copies. If you keep an eye out you can often save 25-50% within the first six months of a games release with some of the special sales (like Black Friday or Steam Summer/Winter Sales.) That's one big advantage of having Origin and Steam around.

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:20 am

After following the advice of one of you guys I was able to launch this P O S

I picked quick match.. waited for fifteen minutes driving around in circles on a bike than someone spawned, drove in unexpectedly and killed me.

I do not get multi player games and their attraction... I will NEVER EVER EVER buy another one.. This was their last chance to get my money and it is a total crash and burn. Why the hell do I want to spend my time running around and being constantly killed by campers etc and than wait for a re-spawn oooh about every 1 or 2 minutes? I do not get this concept at all.

Back to single player only games.. OR at least those who have at least 10 hours of game time.

Ta ta for now

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:12 am

JohnC wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
And it works.

Except when it doesn't. Which still happens often enough ;-) And the bugs are pretty ridiculous - this thing STILL can't even detect a proper OS version (giving a generic message about "unfortunately your OS is not supported, it requires Vista or later" to people who try to install any Origin-enabled games on Win7/Win8) in some cases for some people, a bug which existed for a long time already :wink: Plus there are other bugs, like being unable to remove certain "Betas" from your list of games and dozens of others. You can find plenty of them in EA's own forums :P

Hmmm. I guess I need to read their forums in order to figure out why Origin just works across three of my systems, and has worked across four OS generations (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1) despite my best attempts of abuse.

Yes, there are some Betas that don't go away, and no, that's not a real issue. You can just hide those. Is that seriously a top-level criticism of Origin? I mean, does that keep people from actually playing the games that they want to play?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:15 am

matdem1 wrote:

I picked quick match.. waited for fifteen minutes driving around in circles on a bike than someone spawned, drove in unexpectedly and killed me.

I do not get multi player games and their attraction... I will NEVER EVER EVER buy another one.. This was their last chance to get my money and it is a total crash and burn. Why the hell do I want to spend my time running around and being constantly killed by campers etc and than wait for a re-spawn oooh about every 1 or 2 minutes? I do not get this concept at all.

Back to single player only games.. OR at least those who have at least 10 hours of game time.

Ta ta for now

I'm going to be upfront about my response here- I'm not going to be polite.

You're an idiot.

The interface is there, and fully featured in an intuitive manner, for you to find a server with the settings you'd like, or any settings, that has people playing on it at that time, that has a reasonable ping for your location.

Not being able to join a multiplayer BF3 game and jump into the fray is either a sign of overt stupidity or willful ignorance, and begets a recommendation for you to reconsider this whole 'computer' thing.

matdem1 wrote:
Why the hell do I want to spend my time running around and being constantly killed by campers etc and than wait for a re-spawn oooh about every 1 or 2 minutes? I do not get this concept at all.

You really don't, but the game's called 'Battlefield' for a reason. You're going to die. A lot. The better you get at your knowledge of the maps and your ability to use the weapons, and yes, the first weapons you get are as effective as any in the game, will mitigate your dying somewhat, and allow you to shift the momentum of a match to your team's favor. You'll quickly find that true campers are only a minor annoyance, while those that effectively 'patrol' certain areas, especially in small groups with complementary kits, can inflict great pain on your entire team.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:29 am

I'm not even going to call myself 'decent' at the game, but here's a link to my BF3 soldier on Battlelog, so you can see what someone who's played the game and doesn't completely suck looks like: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/SilentGhostBF3/stats/284374459/pc/

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:16 am

Airmantharp wrote:

I'm going to be upfront about my response here- I'm not going to be polite.

You're an idiot.

That's helpful. :roll:

The OP was saying he was having issues getting around Origin's interface (calling it an interface is being generous), and you start ripping into him about how he's choosing to play BF:3? Did it never occur to you that some people just may not like it? I agree he should give the game a bit more of a chance rather than just 15 mins of gameplay, but if MMO's are not his thing then so be it - No need to go calling him an idiot, in bold, and underlined - Just in case he (and the rest of us) didn't see it.

I don't like Origin, and neither do a lot of people on this site - This is an opinion, learn to accept a few of those from time to time. I didn't say Origin was useless, but it's cluttered interface, inflated prices and general advertising nonsense annoy me. I don't want to know via a string of pop-up's what extra DLC they want me to buy, or the next rip-off season pass for a game I already forked out for. Steam has options to turn off all pop-up adverts, and did I mention Steam Sales - OMG the Steam Sales. :-)

My view on Origin isn't likely to change after the SimCity debacle at launch just over a year ago. A game I was so looking forward to, completely ruined by it's distribution platforms DRM at launch. I didn't enjoy paying £60 for a game (that is actually good, now. 11 Patches later and an offline mode) that at the time refused to work because Origin couldn't get a connection (and maintain it). Have not had any problems with Steam by contrast since about 2007...

Airmantharp wrote:
I'm not even going to call myself 'decent' at the game, but here's a link to my BF3 soldier on Battlelog, so you can see what someone who's played the game and doesn't completely suck looks like: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/SilentGhostBF3/stats/284374459/pc/

793 hours of gameplay? There's this thing called "the outside" - Fresh air might do you some good, you look a little pasty from your avatar pic... :wink:
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:24 am

geekl33tgamer wrote:
793 hours of gameplay? There's this thing called "the outside" - Fresh air might do you some good, you look a little pasty from your avatar pic... :wink:

Yeah, I did need some sun, though I took the shot by flashing myself in the face after I got off work, so in a pitch-black room, and I use it because it's evidence that I can actually grow a beard- something that I'm generally not allowed to have :).

And I'm ripping matdem1 for complaining about the whole process- Origin to Battlelog to game. It appears cumbersome at first, for the uninitiated, because it's a very complete solution. No other game allows you to do everything in one place that Battlelog does and thus it does require an investment to get one's bearings. Tearing away at it because it's 'hard' only reveals one as lazy and naive.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:50 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Origin has so far done nothing to redeem itself and is therefore still classified as an unwanted burden. None of the valuable features Steam offers are available with Origin.......

Right because all these "valuable" features were existent in Steam Day 1??? Um nope! Most if not all have been developed of the course of Steam's lifetime. :roll: Oh how we easily forget the frustrations of the past........
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:30 am

matdem1 wrote:

Ta ta for now

Sorry dude, but you need to learn to play and stop whining. You just posted the lamest n00b rant I've read in a while.

"Oh no, somebody killed me in a multiplayer shooter!"

LEL
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:29 am

tanker27 wrote:
Right because all these "valuable" features were existent in Steam Day 1??? Um nope!

You clearly didn't read my post;

I mentioned that Steam wasn't ready for a couple of years after HL2, putting Steam at least 24 months old before other publishers joined the fray. I stated that my favourite feature (cloud sync) appeared after five years. Where the hell did you read "Steam Day 1" from?

Steam was first; Valve's excuse is valid in that they were forging blindly into new territorry, trial and error is a valid strat in that situation.

EA doesn't have this excuse, the competition has these features and it doesn't - and there's no way to candy-coat that.
Secondly, Origin is already three years old, and almost a decade later it's still worse than Steam was when Steam was only three years old.

THAT is inexcusable, especially for a mandatory install that we're forcefully burdened with if we want to play EA-published games.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:44 am

Please explain again how Origin prevents you from playing your games.

Not being an exact copy of Steam is not a valid argument.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:37 am

If Origin was trying to be a generalized framework for multipler publishers I might agree, but it's not, and it's not trying to be a fully integrated social bonding platform with massive abilities for various weird things. It's a storefront and a download manager. Nothing more, nothing less. As for popups and ton's of other things, settings menus are good. Complaining on loud fan noise from your computer when you have a fan controller and dont know how to turn it down is about as equally a good argument. Or saying there's only crap on tv because you don't know how to switch the channel.

Battlelog is probably one of the best server browsers and most complete entry portal's to a game that I've seen so far, once you get used to the ide'a it's done as it is instead of the awkward way that people started doing like 15 years ago.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:57 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
You clearly didn't read my post;

So yeah I left out somethings. Sorry bout that. But I still stand by my comments. In know way do I think that Origin is equal to Steam. It isnt not even close. But by complaining about its lack of things that Steam has is futile and a waste of time.

This is EA we are talking about. A publisher. Would you rather them perfect Origin or get the next big games release done right?

Aphasia wrote:
Battlelog is probably one of the best server browsers and most complete entry portal's to a game that I've seen so far, once you get used to the ide'a it's done as it is instead of the awkward way that people started doing like 15 years ago.

I loath Battlelog. I hate it. I wish it would DIAF. Everything Battlog does should be in game! I just put up with it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:17 pm

tanker27 wrote:
This is EA we are talking about. A publisher. Would you rather them perfect Origin or get the next big games release done right?

I'd rather the publisher worked on a distribution platform (publishing) instead of screwing around with the developer studio.

EA these days is all about settling lawsuits and abuse of companies and individuals under its influence, it’s about nickel-and-diming the buyer with Day-1 DLC, and it's about forcing things upon people that they don't want, because without it they'd lose control. They have too much control and (all) people don't like it.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:44 pm

tanker27 wrote:
I loath Battlelog. I hate it. I wish it would DIAF. Everything Battlog does should be in game! I just put up with it.

If you haven't already, look up BetterBattlelog (BBLog). Just like WoW using XML to enable addons, Battlelog's web interface allows it to be extended significantly- and seamlessly. Before Battlelog, you had to use clumsy in-game browsers (that yes, could have been perfected, BUT) and then had to use external third-party stats aggregators (BFxStats etc.) to dig into the details. Battlelog works, and allows everything that's not 'the game' to be put into one place.

LostCat

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
(all) people don't like it.

I love EA. I buy most things they come out with. I even buy other publishers games on Origin...pissing haters off is just a side benefit.
Meow.