Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

USB hub/Backlit keyboard power use (Corsair K70)

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:00 pm

I ordered a Corsair K70 (mx blue). However, I will be using this with a laptop that only has 3 USB ports (and will be using it with external monitor/mouse/keyboard half the time). Corsair says a high current (500mA) port is needed. Can I get away with a cheap bus-powered hub anyway (particularly since I don't intend to use the backlighting much if at all), or do I need to shell out the extra for a powered one? I might also want to sync my phone through there as well. (If it charges slowly, so what?)

Note: if anyone's wondering why I can't just plug it straight into the machine, it's because I have other peripherals like a bus-powered USB 3.0 hard drive that I particularly want plugged straight into it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: USB hub/Backlit keyboard power use (Corsair K70)

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Do yourself a favor and get a powered hub. They just make life easier.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:13 pm

I think you're gonna want a powered hub. Not a single one of those devices is self-powered (the phone doesn't count as it will want to draw power to charge) so I'd say the odds you're going to run into trouble are pretty high.

localhostrulez
Topic Author

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Aren't phones capable of drawing less power if needed? (My phone seemed to the last time I tried it on a monitor hub vs a standard 500mA port.) And I thought most keyboards and mice negotiate for ~100mA, which is why I wondered if this would work. At any rate, I suppose paying extra for a powered hub is worthwhile for peace of mind.

(Just to clarify: I'm running the mouse and keyboard through the hub for sure, and probably my phone when syncing as well. I use a wall power adapter when charging my phone anyway - that gnexus isn't terribly fast charging on 1A, and is quite slow on 500mA.)

FightingScallion
Gerbil

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm going to third the recommendation to get a powered hub.

I've had situations with peripherals competing for power. Ultimately, they flick in and out of participation in the computing experience while the computer tries to "save power". Then you end up with that irritating set of tones from the computer that indicates a new Plug & Play device has been connected.

Lots of goodness to a powered hub. You can get them really cheap, and sometimes with nice package deals at Newegg (I've got like 3 Rosewill ones that came free with other doohickeys I was purchasing at the time).

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:21 pm

You'll want to get a powered hub. USB ports are supposed to deliver 500mA but in reality they often do not; I run .NET Gadgeteer boards that need >=500mA and can speak from experience.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

FightingScallion wrote:
Lots of goodness to a powered hub. You can get them really cheap, and sometimes with nice package deals at Newegg (I've got like 3 Rosewill ones that came free with other doohickeys I was purchasing at the time).

I've got an old Belkin stackable 7-port and although you could cook bacon on it it just keeps working. Only issues I ever have are related to old/busted mobo.

localhostrulez
Topic Author

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:17 pm

OK, a powered hub it is then. Thanks for the help! :)

Side note: does anyone have any recommendations for durable, wired mice? I don't want anything fancy or full of gaming hotkeys, though browser back/forward buttons would be nice. Something that will accompany the K70 well.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:18 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Side note: does anyone have any recommendations for durable, wired mice? I don't want anything fancy or full of gaming hotkeys, though browser back/forward buttons would be nice. Something that will accompany the K70 well.

MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:44 pm

A Logitech G400s would have a more ergonomic shape than Ned's Intellimouse, and it'd be at least a decade newer, too. I can also recommend the Razer Imperator, if you happen to find one for half the usual price as I did on an Amazon Gold Box deal.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

madlemming
Gerbil XP

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:23 pm

I have an usb ammeter; & out of curiosity I measured a coolermaster 'storm' keyboard, which has backlightling & extra usb ports built in like yours.

No backlighting: 50ma
Lowest backlight level: 170ma
Highest backlight level: 300ma

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:35 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
A Logitech G400s would have a more ergonomic shape than Ned's Intellimouse, and it'd be at least a decade newer, too. I can also recommend the Razer Imperator, if you happen to find one for half the usual price as I did on an Amazon Gold Box deal.

I know I'm in the minority here, but if subby is getting a powered hub and can find it cheap, the Razer Mamba is a really nice wireless mouse. Mine has withstood 2+ years of daily abuse, and by default two of the mouse buttons on the side (4 and 5) are set for Forward/Back in IE, Firefox, and Chrome. Sure, you can set macros and the like for all the buttons, but I've yet to see a need too.

localhostrulez
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:01 pm

FYI, the USB port on it is just a passthrough (it has 2 cables, one of which is specifically for that). I figured that I may as well get a wired mouse since I have to run a cord for the keyboard anyway, the mouse can use the keyboard's extension, and wired mice have lower latency and don't eat batteries. I am not willing to install extra software for the mouse or keyboard, hence part of the reason for not wanting extra features. (Actually, the corsair K70 doesn't even have software.)

The G400s looks like a newer version of my MX310. (Which even has the same app switcher button that doesn't seem to work without extra software that I won't use.) FWIW, the only problem with the MX310 is that it's getting a bit creaky at times and moves slower than I'd like even on the max setting - and I don't like the pointer curve that results from disabling 'enhance pointer precision'. I happen to be using the keyboard and mouse from a Logitech MK520 right now - not a huge fan of scroll wheel on the mouse (I had a LX7 with a similar feeling scroll wheel, and the wheel failed after a while) or the lack of browser buttons.

Also, FWIW, I'm not opposed to spending a premium on something if it'll last a long time. (I hate throwaway items.) The G400s looks rather pricey, but then again, so is the K70 - and I'm hoping that'll work well for the next 15 years or so, maybe more if I can get away with it. It seems like my rubber dome keyboards start wearing out noticeably every 5 years or something... ughh...

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:34 am

The Logitech G400S has the same mechanical design as the G400 and MX518 models that it replaced. The innards have been updated.
$45 doesn't seem unreasonable. Newegg is asking $62 for the same mouse. For that much, you could get the Imperator from Amazon.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:09 am

I use a Logitech G700s. It can switch on the fly from wired to wireless mode, though I never use wireless. Mouse is great.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

localhostrulez
Topic Author

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Anyone know what material the G400s is made out of on the sides? Maybe it's just me, but I find that rubber seems more prone to feeling sticky than plastic does.

Also, I'm reading about some prediction "Zero delta thingy" (http://www.esreality.com/post/2505056/r ... pid2462914) on it that can only be disabled with the drivers. Comments? (I'm not willing to install an extra driver.)

Durability wise, how does that compare to the Logitech M500? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826104328 (I really don't care at all about high DPI optics or programmable hotkeys - 1000 dpi and basic browser buttons are fine for me.) Note that I tend to click the scroll wheel a lot (closing tabs), which is where my LX7 failed. I have to wonder if letting the scroll wheel go sideways weakens the whole mechanism. (And I rarely scroll sideways anyway. The MX310 has a particularly nice scroll wheel, albeit a vertical only one.)

FWIW: In terms of scroll wheels, the old LX310 and the cheap M-UAE96 both can't scroll horizontally, and also have a really nice feel when pushing the scroll wheel. The LX7 and the mouse from my MK520 feel worse in this regard (and the MK520 doesn't even do horizontal).