Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Black screen on waking from sleep on Macbook Air

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:14 am

Hey all,

The almighty gerbils are always able to help, even when it seems all hope is lost. :D I was having a problem with my macbook air, where waking up the computer approx. 20-30 seconds after letting it idle to sleep causes a black screen with a cursor to appear. The problem occurs regularly, and I have already had the apple store take a look at my computer twice. They have reinstalled the OS, and they even shipped it to an "engineering center" where they replaced a hard drive, some I/O cables, and reformatted the computer again. I have posted a video on my youtube account, with the link below. Any further ideas/sympathy would be appreciated, as it seems that even apple is having trouble with this one.

Link to a video of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wEbYcAK6sk&feature=youtu.be
i5 3570K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | 12GB | HD7850 | 500GB Samsung EVO 850 | 120GB Corsair Force 3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 2TB WD Caviar Green | 2x WD Caviar Black 640 GB | 3x U2412M | 200R

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Black screen on waking from sleep on Macbook Air

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:05 pm

It's a known issue which appeared immediately after the release of this model. You can see that from Apple's official forums, here is the thread with 60 pages about it:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/51 ... 0&tstart=0
Make sure you have the latest OS version, at least 10.9.2 or later. If that still doesn't help - force Apple to exchange your unit for a new one (if you still have warranty). But that also might not solve this issue ;-) Lots of different Apple laptops have various sleep-related issues, for example my latest 13" MBP sometimes cannot "refresh" the WiFi connection properly after the sleep (I have to manually turn WiFi off then on again).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Yeah, I knew that Apple knew about it. They've been very helpful and accommodating at the apple store so far. I was just hopeful that I wouldn't have to make the trip back out there one more time. I'll swing by and see what they do for me this time. It's still covered under warranty, so that shouldn't be an issue. But what gives??? I thought apple's claim to fame is that everything "just works"!! :wink: :wink:
i5 3570K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | 12GB | HD7850 | 500GB Samsung EVO 850 | 120GB Corsair Force 3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 2TB WD Caviar Green | 2x WD Caviar Black 640 GB | 3x U2412M | 200R

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:14 pm

"Just works"? LOL, of course not - there are plenty of users of iPads, iPhones and MacBooks (including the latest versions) who experience plenty of issues even after latest updates. It's just more convenient to replace these compared to stuff from other brands :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people