Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

6GB 780s - Where are they?

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:40 pm

first EVGA offered a 6GB 780, I think it's been over a month since it came out but it remains out of stock everywhere. Now I see Palit has a 6GB version called the Jetstream; also Asus has the Stix (strix?), a 6GB model. I've seen reviews, pictures etc. but nowhere to buy one - any of them.

Anyone know where I can get one? Does anyone even care about a 6GB graphic card? Some of the plugins I use (for C4D) really eat up VRAM. Premiere Pro and other NLEs use quite a bit too...a 6GB card would be great for me...hopefully I'm not the only one.... :)

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: 6GB 780s - Where are they?

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:04 pm

Where in the world are you? Over here, Scan have stock - It's £442 for the EVGA one: :o
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/6gb-evga-gtx-780-sc-acx-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-967mhz-boost-1020mhz-cores-2304-dp-hdmi

and

£398 for a Gainward one:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/6gb-gainward-gtx-780-phantom-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-902mhz-boost-954mhz-cores-2304-dp-

Honestly though, if your doing enough demanding to work to need that much video RAM, the Titan come to mind right away instead (the extra compute power may also be useful). Scan have Ttian's starting at £739?
Last edited by geekl33tgamer on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:14 pm

If you're not locked into nvidia you can get a 280X with 6GB, or the 290(X) has 4GB standard.

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:36 pm

I live in NYC.
Well it's great to hear they're available somewhere...hopefully soon amazon usa, newegg and EVGA's own website will join the rest of the world.

Thanks for the links but at $749 I guess I'll wait till EVGA has them on their website - currently listed for $569. I wouldn't mind a small hit to get it right away but 180 dollars extra is way too much.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56 pm

canoli wrote:
Does anyone even care about a 6GB graphic card? Some of the plugins I use (for C4D) really eat up VRAM. Premiere Pro and other NLEs use quite a bit too...a 6GB card would be great for me...hopefully I'm not the only one.... :)

No, you are not the only one who cares, considering the FACT that most of other 780-series cards only have 3GB and that, for example, "Wolfenstein: The New Order" can use more than 3GB of video RAM while running at max settings at 1080p :wink: I'm not looking to buy one since my Titan SC still performs perfectly with any game at that resolution but if I were looking for a new card to be used for at least next year or 2 I would definitely skip any card with 3GB. Just wait for them, they'll eventually be back in stock.

Alternatively you can buy some comparable AMD's spaceheater with 4GB of RAM - they are decent with a custom multi-fan coolers, just make sure to have good room ventilation or a quiet A/C unit :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:31 am

JohnC wrote:
Just wait for them, they'll eventually be back in stock.

well I sure hope so but like I say it's been close to a month, maybe longer since it's been out of stock. I don't think buying a 3GB is a good idea, even a 780 Ti, which is a great card I know but for that kind of money it really should have (at least) 4G of VRAM.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:50 am

The only one I found on PC Part Picker is on Amazon.com with free shipping, and will ship in only 1 to 2 months!
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:09 am

At this point, it's worth it to wait for the next-gen. The crypto-currency miners distorted the market too much for the ultra-high-end models to be reasonable sells for the GPU vendors this time around, so unless they're willing to make a new push, I wouldn't expect >3-4GB/GPU cards to be widely available until we get new silicon and accompanying marketing budgets.

And I hope that 8GB becomes the new high-end standard. Turning up the goods at 4k is going to need it!

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:51 am

Airmantharp wrote:
At this point, it's worth it to wait for the next-gen. The crypto-currency miners distorted the market too much for the ultra-high-end models to be reasonable sells for the GPU vendors this time around, so unless they're willing to make a new push, I wouldn't expect >3-4GB/GPU cards to be widely available until we get new silicon and accompanying marketing budgets.

And I hope that 8GB becomes the new high-end standard. Turning up the goods at 4k is going to need it!

I agree. We're way too late in the cycle for a GTX 780 to be considered a good buy.

I would recommend to anybody looking at an upgrade to wait and get medium-big Maxwell or Pirate Islands.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:20 pm

just got an email today from MSI bragging about their new 6GB 780, says it's "available now" and shows a bunch of links, everybody from newegg to CompUSA (didn't even know they were still in business) - and none of them list it - not "out of stock" just not even listed.

But I thought the bitcoin thing only disrupted the Radeon 290, 290x. Nobody was buying NV for bitcoin mining were they?

From what I read lately the "next gen" of graphics is presenting some difficulties, that's why we've seen nothing but re-spins and not the 20nm stuff yet. If I can find the article I'll post it but I'm sure you know what I'm referring to. Hasn't Maxwell been delayed - except for the 750 I guess (is that a Maxwell card?) - a few times already?

For me a 6GB NVIDIA card would be great. If I could afford the Titan Black I would buy it today but that's out of reach. Guess I'm stuck waiting...

thanks for your replies.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Cryptocurrency mining disrupted prices for non-compatible cards because it raised their demand, since compatible cards that might be used for gaming were instead not available; the price of everything went up.

So if you can get a 6GB 780 for near MSRP- which it should be 20-30% discounted by now- and you can swallow that, that's cool- but I'm waiting for the next round; besides, DICE just patched up BF4 while I was out for a few weeks, and now the damn game works. People die in every direction from which I stand!

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:33 pm

I know NV doesn't want to cannibalize their $1000 Titan cards but enough is enough, either release more 6G 780s or discontinue the damn thing. Now apparently MSI is in on the game too ... what's the point? Look everybody we doubled the VRAM - oh sorry you can't buy it though...not unless you're in Great Britain I guess, and then you'll pay $200 more for the privilege. Buncha b.s. NVIDIA is pissing me off with this nonsense.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:48 pm

The EVGA one is in-stock with Scan as of right now, and an MSI one has popped up as available at another large e-tailer here (OcUK). The prices are about right for the market here, but dammm buddy - I take your point when you convert the price to USD. Ouch.

I do think there's not many of these as Nvidia do appear to want to keep the 6GB of RAM reserved as a selling point for Titans. From a gamers perspective, if they outfit the GTX 780Ti with 6GB the Ttian becomes completely irrelevant as they perform identically. The 780 is just a touch behind that, so this shortage may be more than just a co-incidence. You might want to see if you can hold off waiting for the bigger Maxwell cards to arrive? They are delayed though, with no release dates AFAIK. The only one to make it to desktops is the one I have, and it's excellent (GTX 750 Series). By your standards though, it's total amount of VRAM is not useful... :wink:
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:31 pm

canoli wrote:
I know NV doesn't want to cannibalize their $1000 Titan cards but enough is enough, either release more 6G 780s or discontinue the damn thing. Now apparently MSI is in on the game too ... what's the point? Look everybody we doubled the VRAM - oh sorry you can't buy it though...not unless you're in Great Britain I guess, and then you'll pay $200 more for the privilege. Buncha b.s. NVIDIA is pissing me off with this nonsense.

Don't get pissed off about hardware companies' lack of will to actually produce a produce that you're willing to buy. They're not worth it :).

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:34 am

Airmantharp wrote:
Don't get pissed off about hardware companies' lack of will to actually produce a produce that you're willing to buy. They're not worth it :).

With the right female-type person doing it I love to be teased. But jerked around by a graphics card company...? That's where I draw the line.

geekl33tgamer wrote:
You might want to see if you can hold off waiting for the bigger Maxwell cards to arrive? They are delayed though, with no release dates AFAIK. The only one to make it to desktops is the one I have, and it's excellent (GTX 750 Series). By your standards though, it's total amount of VRAM is not useful... :wink:

Ya the 750 looks like a nice card, might be good for me to run my displays and use a 2nd card for the heavy lifting, which is something I've been thinking about for awhile. I've never run 2 cards at once. Maybe since only 1 card would be running the displays it shouldn't pose any driver problems...?

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:36 pm

canoli wrote:
Ya the 750 looks like a nice card, might be good for me to run my displays and use a 2nd card for the heavy lifting, which is something I've been thinking about for awhile. I've never run 2 cards at once. Maybe since only 1 card would be running the displays it shouldn't pose any driver problems...?

Wouldn't work how your intending. :-( The GTX 750 Ti doesn't have support for SLI for some reason, so no linking 2 cards together. This also only works well with either 2 identical cards that will split the workload, or one stupidly fast card for heavy rendering, with a slower one to deal with PhysX and Aliasing (you can set the preferences in the Nvidia driver when 2 cards are present).

You would also need to attach all your monitors to the main card either way, as the display outputs on a second card don't work. The total amount of VRAM between all cards also doesn't get added up as one large pool to use neither. Each card will keep and use it's own, so the total VRAM available to you would be no different if you just had the 1 card. It's also not worth the hassle IMO (after having SLI 8800GT's and GTX 460's some time ago - Heat was the biggest issue, followed by the fan noise to stop the heat).

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:52 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:
It's also not worth the hassle IMO (after having SLI 8800GT's and GTX 460's some time ago - Heat was the biggest issue, followed by the fan noise to stop the heat).

These problems have been solved, first by making GPUs that aren't so damn hot (my GTX670s, and similar 660s, 680s, 760s, and 770s are rather cool running) and by making stock blower-style coolers that are efficient, and also not so damn loud, assuming you don't put them all under water. If you set up your enclosure with proper positive cooling (more total air intake pressure than exhaust pressure), you can use larger, slower spinning and quieter intake fans to give the blowers a boost and keep them from spinning up to annoying levels.

I did this with a pair of HD6950s, which otherwise would have been too loud/hot, but dumped them due to AMD's inane inability to make Crossfire not completely suck at the time, and went to the Nvidia cards. In SLI, they're perfect, so long as you don't run out of VRAM when getting aggressive with the settings to take advantage of the extra rendering power.

My next setup will be a pair of mid- to high-end GPUs (I'm vendor agnostic, AMD has much improved), under water using the new integrated water-cooler mounts for the kits from Corsair etc., or the new modular Fractal Design kits, most likely in a Fractal Design tower, pushing an adaptive V-Sync capable 4k IPS/PLS monitor that's suitable both for gaming and for critical color work, where my 30" 1600p IPS will become the secondary/backup.

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info but I have no intention of linking the cards with an SLI bridge. I will run my displays off an iexpensive Kepler/Maxwell card, and then pop in the (hopefully) 6GB 780 in a spare 16x PCIe slot.

The plugin I mentioned, TurbulenceFD recommends running 2 cards in a setup just as I described. The UI has a dropdown that lists your CPU and whatever GPUs are available. I'll choose the 780 and let it render the sims. They recommend 4GB of VRAM but the plugin ran okay even with the 1280MB in the 470 - until I killed it that is! ha.

Beyond that, how things will actually work, I need to think about it. I'm wondering just how inexpensive I can go for the display card because obviously I'll need to work with the sim, plus everything else in the scene - sometimes millions of polygons (ZBrush) sometimes a half a dozen video tracks, stills, textures etc.

I think I'll still need a decent card to push the display pixels. It has to be Kepler (or newer, if we ever see more Maxwell cards) because I have 3 displays.

I'll probably start asking in the C4D forums too; I can't be the first one to use 2 graphics cards without linking them in SLI or Crossfire.

Thanks you guys.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:28 pm

canoli wrote:
Thanks for the info but I have no intention of linking the cards with an SLI bridge. I will run my displays off an iexpensive Kepler/Maxwell card, and then pop in the (hopefully) 6GB 780 in a spare 16x PCIe slot.

As geekl33tgamer unsuccessfully tried to explain to you above (based on your post, not his explanation, of course) this you cannot do. The primary rendering card must have the displays being rendered to attached outside of some of the motherboard-level rigging that laptop use, called Optimus in Nvidia-speak.

Basically, if you buy a better card later, it will replace your primary card. This is typically why we recommend in the SBA forum that you buy what you need, and save until you can afford it, as the 'poor man always pays twice'.

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:27 pm

I guess I missed it then b/c all I read was about SLI configurations, and how 2 cards' VRAM doesn't add up to one pool of VRAM.

I don't understand why running 2 cards would present much of a problem. Why wouldn't TurbulenceFD "see" that 2nd card as an available GPU, even though it's not driving any monitors?

Unfortunately Jawset's (the manufacturer of TurbFD) Help pages don't tell very much. Here's all it says on the subject:

Supported GPUs:
"Nvidia GPUs with Compute Capability 2.0 or newer, listed at http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus
While TurbulenceFD works with less than 1GB of GPU memory, a GPU with 4GB or more memory is recommended.
Please make sure to use the latest driver for your graphics card.

Tips:
When choosing a GPU, prefer the one with the most per-GPU memory
Ideally use two GPUs: one (possibly smaller one) as primary display GPU and one as a secondary GPU for simulation only.
When your system has only one GPU and you run large simulations, disable the viewport preview to speed up the simulation."

So...what do you think? Naturally I will research it more, talk to some folks who are actually using 2-card systems, but this what I want to do.

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:36 pm

I think you and Airmantharp are having two different discussions. You seem to be planning to use the card purely as a compute device, whereas Airmantharp seems to think you will be using it to render graphics in the same way a game would use it.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:01 am

Melvar wrote:
I think you and Airmantharp are having two different discussions. You seem to be planning to use the card purely as a compute device, whereas Airmantharp seems to think you will be using it to render graphics in the same way a game would use it.

Yup, I did get confused (I read too much, and then don't always reorient myself!). In that case, running the second card should work perfectly, if all other considerations are taken care of (drivers, BIOS/UEFI, adequate amount of PCIe bandwidth, etc.).

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:28 am

ah - haha okay, i figured there had to be some kinda communication breakdown ... yep, I'd be using that 6GB card purely for compute ops - thanks Melvar for helping us out!

So that "compute card" - it won't help with anything else will it? I mean besides a plugin that's specifically designed to use a compute card? For instance Photoshop or Premiere Pro, as far as they're concerned they would only "see" and be able to use the card that's running the displays, is that right?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:52 am

I'm actually not sure about the photo apps- Adobe is typically not very upfront about the support they provide, it would be worth looking into as I use them too. It is very possible that they could make use of a 'non-slaved' secondary card as long as it's a valid CUDA/OpenCL target.

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 pm

yeah I skimmed a few posts on adobe's forum and more on c4d forums - nobody seems to think any of the Adobe apps will respond to 2 different graphics cards. Even the 2-GPU cards like the 690, etc. are not really recommended because - from what I understand - much of the viewport rendering, ease of editing multiple video tracks, etc. is so dependent on memory bandwidth, which of course doesn't scale up by adding more GPUs. A few render engines like Octane or this TurbulenceFD plugin can use all the GPUs in the system but they're the exception. I need to research it more though - nothing I read talked about OpenGL and CUDA capability, how that's affected by 2 non-linked graphics cards. But preliminary reports are not encouraging...

The good news for me - if it lasts till Friday - is a 6GB 780 is actually for sale at newegg. The only slight bummer is it's not from EVGA, which I really wanted to buy, it's MSI's version with the TwinFrozr cooling deal. I like MSI, my system is built on their Big Bang X58 board, but everybody raves about EVGA graphics and I really wanted to finally try one.

re: memory bandwidth - I'm toying with the idea of a 780-Ti. 336 MB/sec is just...killer! I've been working with 133 MB/sec so I know I'll be happy with anything but considering the 6G 780 is $600...for an extra $100 you go from 288 MB/sec to 336 MB/sec... but of course only half the VRAM, which sucks. Why the hell couldn't NV put a 4GB buffer on their 780s? The 770 and even the 760 is available with 4GB of VRAM.

Decisions decisions. Also the Ti is the full GK110 in all its glory...nothing shut off or disabled...that in itself makes it tempting. I don't know - knowing me once I get paid I'll take a cab to Microcenter in Brooklyn and just buy a 770 for $400, which will still be a nice upgrade from the 4-year old Fermi... :D

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:32 pm

canoli wrote:
The good news for me - if it lasts till Friday - is a 6GB 780 is actually for sale at newegg. The only slight bummer is it's not from EVGA, which I really wanted to buy, it's MSI's version with the TwinFrozr cooling deal. I like MSI, my system is built on their Big Bang X58 board, but everybody raves about EVGA graphics and I really wanted to finally try one.

I have an EVGA 780Ti with the ACX cooler. It's nice, but it's not made of miracles. When you hammer it it heats up, the fans spin up, and you can hear it. I doubt the MSI card will be much louder (if at all).

FYI, ASUS just announced a new 6GB 780, but I don't think it's in stores yet. [H] has a review: http://hardocp.com/article/2014/06/11/a ... 5kPi1eKBjE

canoli wrote:
re: memory bandwidth - I'm toying with the idea of a 780-Ti. 336 MB/sec is just...killer! I've been working with 133 MB/sec so I know I'll be happy with anything but considering the 6G 780 is $600...for an extra $100 you go from 288 MB/sec to 336 MB/sec...

Or for just several hundred more you could get a Titan Black and have the higher bandwidth & performance plus the 6GB of RAM!

canoli wrote:
knowing me once I get paid I'll take a cab to Microcenter in Brooklyn and just buy a 770 for $400, which will still be a nice upgrade from the 4-year old Fermi...

You can get a 4GB PNY 770 at Amazon for $309.99 right now.

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:12 pm

thanks for the link - yeah I saw that PNY a few times...definitely tempting. Never bought anything from PNY...don't know much (or anything) abou them.

I wish I could blow a grand on a graphics card - and it would sit nice next to my thousand-dollar CPU - and if I could be persuaded I'd ever use the DP capability of the Titan I would seriously think about buying one. But I'm not a professional mograph artist, I don't do any CUDA programming, I certainly don't run any industrial applications...from what I understand even heavyweight modeling / animation programs like Maya, Nuke, Cinema 4D don't need to use DP math.

I've never been able to learn as much as I wanted about DP compute - read the wiki, etc. but nowhere have I found anything like a list of programs that really take advantage of high DP capability...everyone always just says "nah you don't need that."

Gotta get something soon...I'm running this 470 without any NV drivers, on 1 monitor...def on its last, final, gasping-for-breath legs...!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:13 am

EVGA isn't mostly known for the quality of their products, which are mostly OEM designs (the ACX cooler being a more rare exception, along with the ones with the preinstalled water blocks), they're known for their support.

And PNY used to be huge into memory kits where say Corsair is now; that's all we sold at CompUSA, and we had racks of the stuff. Now I don't know who exactly they are, but they've been putting their name on GPUs for at least a decade.

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:58 am

really? It's been 10 years already? I'm surprised I would've guessed half that. But either I'm a little leery of anything that's priced 25% below most of the other cards - although there are a few 4GB 770s in the high $300 range.

well like I said, I probably can't go wrong with any of them...770, 780, Ti, whatever - at least for me they all represent a huge upgrade over Fermi. It'll be nice to drive 3 displays off 1 card now instead of moving connectors around.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:23 am

canoli wrote:
really? It's been 10 years already? I'm surprised I would've guessed half that. But either I'm a little leery of anything that's priced 25% below most of the other cards - although there are a few 4GB 770s in the high $300 range.

well like I said, I probably can't go wrong with any of them...770, 780, Ti, whatever - at least for me they all represent a huge upgrade over Fermi. It'll be nice to drive 3 displays off 1 card now instead of moving connectors around.

That's one nice thing about having the onboard video from my 2500k- I run two auxiliary monitors off it with no effect to the discrete GPU during gaming.