Do you guys use the NFC function on GS5?

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Do you guys use the NFC function on GS5?

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:14 am

NFC can be built in the Galaxy S5 mpj battery I am about to have. Should I have one with NFC? Do you guys use the NFC function?
doggge
Gerbil In Training

Re: Do you guys use the NFC function on GS5?

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:33 pm

I've tried it on my GS4 to connect to an HTC One, and once you figure out the enabling sequence on both devices, it works fine for small file transfers. Beyond that, the immediate uses are limited unless you want to tinker with NFC tags.

If a viable retail commerce platform finally takes off for NFC, it could be really useful, but industry news for the past couple years doesn't look too good. Google Wallet foundered, and Square (which is popping up in small businesses all over the place) seems to think the app-based payment approach is more viable.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Wworks well for quick and dirty file transfers from my digital camera to my S3. But for anything bigger, I use the wi-fi transfer.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:12 am

I use it only for charging
cool32
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:35 am

I've had a number of windows phones with NFC and honestly haven't ever really bothered. Not much use at this point.
sweatshopking
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:27 am

Unless you have some sort of tap-to-pay thing setup, or have NFC tags around the house that do things when you touch your phone to them (both of which you'd know without asking) then I'd say you can skip it. I don't use it for anything.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:11 am

I really wish we could just use our phones for NFC payments! This was announced years ago (even on Windows Phones!) but from what I understand, the carriers blocked it because they wanted their own proprietary NFC payment system. Ugh. I have a feeling it'll take some very persuasive company like Apple to convince them otherwise.
Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:05 am

I wouldn't count on Apple being able to move the market anymore. For every quarter over the past couple years, Samsung's smartphone market share keeps getting bigger. Apple sales aren't falling in absolute number terms, but Android sales are increasing at a far greater rate. Around the end of 2013 Samsung smartphone sales were more than 1/3 of the market while iPhone sales were around 1/5, and a the remainder of the smartphone market was captured by other vendors who were mostly packaging Android. Mobile Internet usage still skews heavily toward Apple but that is shifting also.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:50 pm

I only use NFC on my phone to connect to my speakers.
I like Windows 8.
Seriously.
chµck
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:40 pm

I turned NFC off on my Lumia 920, and got an extra 6-8 hours out of the battery :roll:
powerNode: 4770k+h90 @ 4.2GHz, IGP (waiting on Big Maxwell), ASUS Maximus VI Impact, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Terra_Nocuus
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 pm

I helped seed my Dad's first smartphone with contacts using NFC, and I also use to exchange pictures with people on occasion. It's also nice for pairing with stuff like Bluetooth speakers.

In short: It's a feature that I like having, but not one I'm sure that I'd spend money on.
nafhan
Gerbil In Training

Return to Mobile Tech