Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

peznek
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Samsung LCD TV - LN46E550F6FXZA - Multiple Issues

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Hello everyone,
To start off, I did notice the gigantic thread regarding the Samsung LCD TV, but I opted to make my own thread because of the different model # and my issues are a bit different than what that thread covers. However, if you feel this thread should be merged with the other, feel free to do so.

So, my husband and I bought a refurbished (first mistake) television from a local store. Within 4 weeks we started having really random problems. Including:

1) At first the TV randomly turned on, I didn't think much of it then (because the tv has touch control buttons I thought maybe some dust or something made it suddenly turn on), but when I turned it off and then turned it back on about 5 minutes later, the tv had automatically put itself on Store Mode.

2) Recently the TV would automatically start as soon as we plugged it in the wall.

3) The red power LED light quickly blinks (it's almost a constant stream of light with a few blinks now and then) as if it were receiving input from a remote, but we had taken the batters out to make sure this wasn't the case.

4) Sometimes the TV is okay for about an hour or so, but as soon as we plug in anything HDMI related it starts to change inputs, the tv is "locked", no buttons either on the remote or on the tv itself are responsive. One time this happened as soon as we turned on our Playstation 3 even though the HDMI WASN'T plugged into the TV yet.

5) The TV randomly switches to tuner and refuses to switch to any other input. The first time this happened I had the PS3 on and I put Netflix on, suddenly the TV switched to the television input (we don't have cable or anything so it was a black screen) and was completely unresponsive to any buttons on the remote or the tv itself, and the red LED was constantly shining. I had to unplug it directly from the wall to turn it off.

I read in many places that sometimes the capacitors are the problem, so I took some pictures of the back of the television which you can view below. My husband and I thought the capacitors looked fine, but maybe we're overlooking something as we're not very sure how it's SUPPOSED to look, only that this is how ours currently looks. One thing I noticed was that our board has the 4 capacitors on the left, for some reason I thought there should actually be 5, but maybe that's because we have a different model #. My husband's cousin is pretty good at fixing electronics so we were going to let him look at it, except because we can't really find anything wrong by looking at it, we're not sure if it would be a wasted trip or not.

If you need any clarification please let me know. Any advice would be great. Thanks. [And no, we don't have a warranty].

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LN46E550F6FXZA - Multiple Issues

Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:02 pm

All signs point to shorting somewhere in the touch inputs electronics. I would try disconnecting the inputs entirely but keep the IR connected and go remote-only.
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock

peznek
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:22 pm

JdL wrote:
All signs point to shorting somewhere in the touch inputs electronics. I would try disconnecting the inputs entirely but keep the IR connected and go remote-only.

Thanks for the suggestion. We think we disconnected the correct ribbon, but it looks like the buttons and the IR are connected with the same ribbon. When we disconnected that ribbon and plugged the tv back in, it automatically turned on but the IR / remote was not responding. Did we disconnect the wrong thing? This is what my husband disconnected-

This is a picture of what the connector looks like underneath the television behind the touch inputs

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:14 am

Unfortunately it looks like the entire TV control section is located on that front board, including remote as you noted. It will probably need to be taken apart and cleaned.

On the upside, if you can figure out how to remove that front panel board, you can probably take just that part to your husband's cousin, and see if he can clean it up. You'll have to bring it back home to see if it worked, but it would easier than transporting the entire TV.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

peznek
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:20 am

ludi wrote:
Unfortunately it looks like the entire TV control section is located on that front board, including remote as you noted. It will probably need to be taken apart and cleaned.

On the upside, if you can figure out how to remove that front panel board, you can probably take just that part to your husband's cousin, and see if he can clean it up. You'll have to bring it back home to see if it worked, but it would easier than transporting the entire TV.

Assuming cleaning doesn't do much, do you think it would be worth purchasing a new front board to replace the old one? I guess I'm wondering how likely it is that the problem is indeed located on the front board, and not somewhere else. Thanks for the response!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:06 pm

I've had a couple flatscreens apart in the past, and the circuit sections tend to be fairly compartmentalized -- power supply, display control, source switching/audio/tuner, user control -- so very likely the problem is confined to the front panel control board. But unless the TV is relatively new, obtaining parts at any reasonable cost could be tricky.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

revparadigm
Gerbil

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:46 pm

I've fixed quite a few T.V's here lately and my suggestion is that the main video board (green one) is about fried, not the power board (brown one). I would replace it, you can find them on sometimes on Amazon or Ebay, such as...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281318939409?lpid=82

peznek
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:26 am

revparadigm wrote:
I've fixed quite a few T.V's here lately and my suggestion is that the main video board (green one) is about fried, not the power board (brown one). I would replace it, you can find them on sometimes on Amazon or Ebay, such as...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281318939409?lpid=82

This seems to be the consensus. The tv is refurbished but the original model (non-refurbished) is from 2012, so it should theoretically be new enough to find a replacement part. This seems to be the most logical explanation. I'll post again if/when we get the replacement part and whether or not it fixes the problem, just in case anyone stumbles across this thread with a similar issue and is curious about the fix. Thanks again.

peznek
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello everyone,
I wanted to thank all of you that commented, we would have been lost without your advice. My husband and I purchased a replacement board (the one with the HDMI / connected to the infrared) from shopjimmy.com it came to $100 with shipping and a 1 year warranty (we live in Canada so it was a bit more expensive to deliver). The technical advisers at shopjimmy.com agreed with us that it was probably an issue with the HDMI board as the problem wasn't with the tv turning on (and the other issues that I mentioned last time). Long story short, we received the replacement board today, we replaced the old board, AND EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with the old board, but I took pictures of the back of it if anyone was curious what it looked like (it looked pretty dirty and a bit grimy, I thought).

Thanks again for the help / discussion. It really helped us immensely.

Warrior123
Gerbil In Training

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:03 pm

hi all,

i am new this forum and i am too having similar issue with my Samsung Full HD TV. After turning on the TV, source button keep on changing and scanning all the channels and switching off and on again. First i checked it might be due to the faulty remote but that wasn't case and finally after reviewed some of the forums in the net i came to know that it was due to bad touch panel on the right hand side bottom of the TV is fault. So as mentioned in the forum i removed the black panel and located the 8 pin connector touch panel cable that runs into the motherboard so i went ahead and disconnected the wire but its totally disconnected the remote IR sensor also but the problem is solved and the TV works fine without remote. Now i want to use the remote as i need to change settings of the TV for my gaming. i also came to know that 4 out of the 8 pin connector cable is for IR sensor and 4 for touch panel and unfortunately all my cables are black on the 8 pin connectors that runs onto the same loop to the motherboard so how do i know which 4 pin i need to disconnect and others to leave for IR sensor to use the remote. Kindly help on this as i need to use the PS4 for my TV as the graphics are look very bad due to jagged edges and not perfect for gaming.