Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

HappySOB
Gerbil
Topic Author

USB wifi adapter slow

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:35 am

Hi.

Sometimes it takes forever to load a web page. I think something's wrong with my USB. It's not my ISP because same site loads fast on my smart phone. I've tried 2 USB wifi adapters and the same thing happens. I've downloaded the latest chipset drivers and drivers. I'm about to buy a PCI express wifi adapter but wanted to check with you before i do. Thanks

mmp121
Gerbil

Re: USB wifi adapter slow

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:15 am

First You should try using something that will provide you consistent results, namely a speedtest website. I suggest using www.speedtest.net. They have an app that you can install on your phone and you can use the website for your desktop. Post your results from both, as well as your ISP speed.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Check your BIOS isn't limiting the USB connections to "Full Speed". USB 1.0 has 1.5 Mbit/s "Low Speed" and 12 Mbit/s "Full Speed", USB 2.0 adds 480 Mbit/s "High Speed", and USB 3.0 adds 5 Gbit/s "Super Speed". If you have that port set to "Full Speed" in the BIOS, your throughput will suck.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:51 pm

HappySOB wrote:
Hi.

Sometimes it takes forever to load a web page. I think something's wrong with my USB. It's not my ISP because same site loads fast on my smart phone. I've tried 2 USB wifi adapters and the same thing happens. I've downloaded the latest chipset drivers and drivers. I'm about to buy a PCI express wifi adapter but wanted to check with you before i do. Thanks

Can you install inSSIDer, and tell us what your Signal-to-Noise ratio is, and what your noise floor is? Ideally, noise will be -90db to -100db, with signal strength of -35db.

If your phone is a droid, WiFi Overview 360 is free, and it's a pretty good tool. I'd like to see what the SNR is for your phone. Most smartphones come with suprisingly good receive sensitivity and acceptable transmit power these days. The ones in USB adapters can be a crapshoot. Some (looking at you, Senao) favor max transmit power, but just because your adapter can yell louder, doesn't mean jack, if it can't hear the AP answer back.

Also, what model were the adapters? Many consumer versions use similar, if not identical components, so adapters from different companies could be the same thing, with different branding.

*EDIT*

Is this a desktop? If so, is running cat5e or cat6 a possibility?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:57 am

Sometimes radiated EMI from the system itself can interfere with the WiFi signal. If the WiFi adapter is plugged directly into a port on the system, try using a short USB extension cable to allow you to locate the adapter at least a foot away from the PC.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:13 am

1. Try a different browser.
2. Make sure no app is slowing your connection (background downloads, torrents and such).
3. Make sure your OS installation isn't messed up.
4. Try cleaning your system with something like CCleaner.
5. If you have time, perhaps a reformat and reinstallation of everything is called for.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:05 pm

ronch wrote:
1. Try a different browser.
2. Make sure no app is slowing your connection (background downloads, torrents and such).
3. Make sure your OS installation isn't messed up.
4. Try cleaning your system with something like CCleaner.
5. If you have time, perhaps a reformat and reinstallation of everything is called for.

I hope we get a follow up. Wanna know what the dealio was. Just nosy that way.

HappySOB
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:31 pm

1. Tried another browser and same thing
2. No background apps running
3. Reinstalled Windows and same thing

Few weeks ago i bought a PCI-E wifi adapter and the problem persists

I'm thinking it may be the motherboard/chipset. Is there any program that allows you to test the chipset?
If not, i'm gonna buy a new motherboard see if that fixes it

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:23 pm

HappySOB wrote:
1. Tried another browser and same thing
2. No background apps running
3. Reinstalled Windows and same thing

Few weeks ago i bought a PCI-E wifi adapter and the problem persists

I'm thinking it may be the motherboard/chipset. Is there any program that allows you to test the chipset?
If not, i'm gonna buy a new motherboard see if that fixes it

did you ever run a speed test at www.speedtest.net?
Trump 2020

HappySOB
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Ok I found out what the problem was. At least for now it's looks fixed. I had the ASUS bios set to a overclock preset. I was looking at asus utility and saw that the CPU frequency was over 4000 MHZ. I have a 4670k.