Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

jstern
Gerbil
Topic Author

What do you do with games you already completed?

Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Do you immediately go onto another game and repeat the process after you pass that game? Or do you re play it a couple of times, or go on to play some games you already played?

I ask because most of us when we were kids had a limited number of games, and in my case if my cousin came over and brought a new game we would play it for hours, and it would be bliss. Even if years later I recognize the game as being crap, it was just enjoyable trying to beat the game.

Meanwhile, now days with so many more options, like emulation, kids having parents who grew up playing video games thus by them lots, I see kids playing a game for a little bit, get a little bored, frustrated move on to the next game, get bored, and it's not the same.

And I also see that with adults who grew up playing games and now have money to buy game after game. Do you guys beat the game to death, dominated, or do you go on from game to game?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: What do you do with games you already completed?

Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:55 pm

If I get bored with a game or complete it - I uninstall it and play something else. If I feel like replaying it some time later - I just re-download it and re-install. The beauty of digital distribution model ;-)
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Very much depends on the game. Examples:

-Deus Ex is one of my favourite games of all time, but I've only played it through to completion once. Half-Life 2 was also very good, same story.

-Half Life 1, Portal & Portal 2, Transistor I have all played through multiple times. The writing in the Portal games was good enough to be worth hearing a second time around, and it was hard to appreciate everything in Transistor in a single playthrough (particularly all the combat mechanics).

-I have never played a single Final Fantasy game to completion. I do own FFVII and FFX (somewhere :P).

I guess it also depends on how you define completed. I played Tourist Trophy enough to unlock all of the gear, all paint variations of all bikes, etc. You definitely have to retread the same races / challenges in order to do that.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Simple .. I rarely finish them !! On the odd chance I do, I usually revisit them and play them to completion again. Dungeon Siege 2, Plants vs Zombies and Borderlands are a few that I completed and then replayed a few years later.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:23 pm

IF it's worth a second go around, I'll hang onto it to play again. It's rare that I'll keep playing a single-player FPS after completion, but I've got tons of older DOS, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, and PS2 games that I'll replay.

I also hang on to a bunch of old MAME roms, for whenever I get around to putting together a few cabinets. 1 2-player, 1 4-player, and maybe one with the monitor mounted for Tate mode SHMUPS. That's a story for another day, and another board, though.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:36 pm

It's not the same as it was twenty years ago?

You don't say.
Meow.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Savyg wrote:

You don't say.

If games came with "feelies" like they did back in the day, you'd see more people hanging on to their games, instead of beating them, and ditching them at Gamespot for a few measly ducats off the next game.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:48 pm

I still own all the games I've ever bought.

Some games I've regulated to the "never too be played again pile" because they just weren't good/have been surpassed by other games.

Some games I will fire up every now and then again to skirmish against bots (CnC: Generals/UT classic/UT2k4) or to replay through (again). HL I play through once every 2 or 3 years and HL2 once every 5 or so.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

jstern
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:27 am

Savyg wrote:

You don't say.

Don't know if you read my post or not, but my point was that kids today, like my cousin's kids, who have an insane amount of games, with emulation, and parents who buy them more games due to those parents having grown up with video games, they seem to move from game to game, and sometimes not even complete them. So I'm not sure why you come with the sarcasm.

My question basically is if having an insane amount of games limit the enjoyment that a person would have if they only had a few.

jstern
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:35 am

Another example is one of my cousin's kids really, really, for days wanted to play this game that I have. They were over one day, super excited to play it. Only lasted around 8 minutes, and he was already check out the other games that I have, and then 10 minutes later repeat the process. Just way too many games available that he's already thinking about the next game.

The fun level was just no where near to me going to my cousin's house and playing one of his **** games all day long, and completely enjoy it because the focus on the particular game was so much higher.

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:42 am

Hz so good wrote:
Savyg wrote:

You don't say.

If games came with "feelies" like they did back in the day, you'd see more people hanging on to their games, instead of beating them, and ditching them at Gamespot for a few measly ducats off the next game.

You realize stores like Gamestop (née Funcoland, Babbages, etc) date back to the NES era, right? Feelies aren't the problem; even if feelies existed, people would keep those and just sell the game alone. Not to mention that reselling what few PC games you can doesn't happen at Gamestop, but via Ebay, forums, et al.

Kougar

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:44 am

It depends on the game of course. But consider this (at least in my case) when I was growing up N64 and PC games tended to be $40-60 bucks a pop. Today, we have Steam (and Gog, HumbleBundles, Amazon's aggressive sales matching) etc where an entire game is just pocket change, and even triple A titles that back then would've been only discounted to ~$40-50 after a few months on the shelf, are today instead dropped down as low as $15 after a couple months.

Typical kids can't afford to drop $60 on a game except rarely, so in my case I made sure to buy only N64 or PC games I really wanted. And unless it was a bad one I tended to get a great deal of use out of them. Today any kid can buy an armload of games for the same $60 at least on the PC anyhow. So of course it's going to be different now.

LostCat

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:23 am

jstern wrote:
Don't know if you read my post or not, but my point was that kids today, like my cousin's kids, who have an insane amount of games, with emulation, and parents who buy them more games due to those parents having grown up with video games, they seem to move from game to game, and sometimes not even complete them. So I'm not sure why you come with the sarcasm.

My question basically is if having an insane amount of games limit the enjoyment that a person would have if they only had a few.

I don't have kids and the ones I know aren't gamers, so I can't relate. It just seems like a silly question. One would play what they enjoy no matter the circumstance.

I'm not really sure how this relates only to kids though. I have tons of games and I don't complete them all. They're often too damn long to do so, and I end up doing something else instead of actually focusing on those.

I don't have many pressing responsibilities so I could probably finish a good bit more of them if I actually wanted to.
Meow.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:37 am

I mostly complete every game I start before moving onto the next. Also, I will actually replay some games before moving on to the next. Even today with the vast game choice available to me and multiple unplayed games still sitting in my Steam account certain games (The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite) elicited a special response that I wanted to repeat and I immediately replayed them.

More common than an immediate replay is that I move onto another game sitting in my Steam account before coming back and replaying (Skyrim, GTA IV). Then there are the games that I intend to replay at some point (Portal, Tomb Raider, The Walking Dead) and some which I don't want to play again (Crysis 2, Medal of Honor), plus the couple that I don't care to finish (Borderlands 2, Dead Space).

There are also games that I may replay if I ever find myself with too much free time or have been reminiscing about them (Alan Wake, Dishonored) - too much free time probably being the biggest factor in this whole equation. As a kid I had the time to fully explore and replay all the games I wanted, there was no rush either. I think many people, myself included, buy games aspirationally and then never find the time to fully enjoy them. Steam sales and the like tend to compound that problem especially as we've all been trained to be such dutiful consumers and can't seem to turn down a good price for something we may never even use.

Above I only mentioned games which are story based and eminently single player. I think different rules apply for online multiplayer, competitive or procedurally generated games. Those games I can dip in and out of for months or years and still enjoy (DayZ, Natural Selection 2, Race the Sun). I think the same was true back when I was a kid but there was no online multiplayer or procedurally generated genres, there were only really competitive games (Tekken, Mario Kart). Today those genres represent a much bigger share of the market.

As for the way kids play computer games, I'll never understand that. My nephews seem to spend inordinate amounts of time doing random things in Skyrim, like brutally murdering old women in the woods and then stripping them naked and laughing about it for an hour. Seemingly never doing any quests I might add. Meanwhile my niece talks all excitedly about computer games and then dips into a few random games playing 20 minutes on each and then quits to talk to her friends on myspace or whatever the devil the kids are using these days. As far as I can tell kids basically do whatever is 'cool', 'hip' or 'da bomb' in their social sphere at any given moment in time. If there is a big game rocking at the time (Minecraft) then all the kids will be glued to it, if not they'll play a bit of everything and then go do whatever the rest of the kids are doing, like bathsalts or snapchat.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 am

I used to replay some of the earlier games - The original Half-Life is something I must have replayed almost ten times, but there are too many games worth playing now to replay games that you enjoy.

If it's a single-player game I'll move it to an archive drive and keep the savegames in case I ever want to pick it up again with all the unlocks. Also configs and settings are saved that way...
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:39 am

For me it depends entirely on the game how it gels with me. With games that I genuinely like I will play it through at least once and possibly many times. With games that don't click I may play for a bit and then move on. The situation of having games that I don't want to play was mostly created by cheap bundles like the Humble Bundle sales. I may pick up a bundle of games for $6 but only want to play 1 or 2. So the others I may sample and find they aren't to my taste whether that be the genre, the game mechanics or something less substantial.

A game like Diablo, Torchlight or even Borderlands encourages multiple plays by presenting you with multiple character options. Each of which changes the way you need to approach the game. While other games like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons may be enjoyable but there's no reason to play it through a second time. Then 'games' such as Dear Esther don't encourage you to finish a single play through.

I don't see that changing since there are so many games in my queue that I wouldn't likely be able to play them all through just once even if I spent every day playing them. Especially not with new bundles being presented via many different sites.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:46 am

jstern wrote:
Another example is one of my cousin's kids really, really, for days wanted to play this game that I have. They were over one day, super excited to play it. Only lasted around 8 minutes, and he was already check out the other games that I have, and then 10 minutes later repeat the process. Just way too many games available that he's already thinking about the next game.

The fun level was just no where near to me going to my cousin's house and playing one of his **** games all day long, and completely enjoy it because the focus on the particular game was so much higher.

I wonder if that's due to the large choice of games or if it is due to a change in the way kids think. Today kids are given constant sources of stimulation in their entertainment that keeps them from focusing on one task for a long time. That could lead to them approaching game playing in the same way. So they might spend a few minutes on one game and then move on.

Or it might be that when presented with a large choice of games it might be the best option to try them all out in the hopes that you will have more time at a later date to play through the games that you really liked. I could certainly see doing that when going to a store and perhaps the same logic is at work when visiting someone. However you said he was bored which makes me think he gave some visible sign of that boredom and points to my first explanation as to why he kept trying new games out instead of trying to play through even one.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:54 am

MMO's are never completed as long as there is new content. Been playing WoW on and off since it came out.

I also replay Iron Cross quite a bit since you can control any country in the world and the random events make sure every World War II I play through is different.

I used to replay my RPG's at least a couple times...Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate I and II, Fallout 1 and 2. Some of the story-driven games like that where they tried to make choices and alignment matter are in my cherished favorites.

superjawes

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:07 am

Funny...I just got done replaying Metroid Fusion, I've been contemplating another run through the Metroid Prime series. and I picked up Fable: The Lost Chapters via the Summer Sale, which I had played on Xbox years ago.

There are some games that I finish and think, "I have no reason to ever play this game again." But if I really like a game, be it for the story, challenge, or general gameplay, I will usually find myself craving another playthrough eventually. Heck, I'm almost done with a playthough of Wind Waker HD, and that was among my least favorite Zelda titles.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 am

I agree with the OP that kids these days have "gaming ADD." Much of that fault falls on parents IMO. Even if a game is only $5 on Steam*, that doesn't mean you should/need to buy your kid 20 games at a time. If they can't pay for the game with their own money, they have to play what you buy them.
This used to be the norm, but I fear "modern parenting" is leaning toward appeasement. I had maybe a dozen games throughout the life of my NES (which was actually the only console I ever had until I went to college in 2004) and yes, many of my friends had a lot more games than me, or the newer consoles. But guess what, that's life. My parents were the ones buying the games, so they make the rules. As a parent, sometimes you need to put your foot down and not spoil kids to death. Sure, there will be times when they "hate you" for it, but it's for their own good.
*BTW, I think most younger kids these days play console games, don't they? I don't follow console game prices much, but my belief is there's no console gaming substitute for Steam in terms of great prices.

I've got limited space on my 120GB OS SSD which is where I install games. (I have a 2TB internal 5900rpm hdd, but I've never felt the urge to install games there) I can comfortably have 3 games installed at a time, so I have to uninstall games when I finish them to make room for new ones. Typically I do at least beat the single-player campaign before moving on.

1) I typically only play a game through once. I don't have enough free time anymore to do more than that. Some games take me a month or more to even beat the single player campaign because I can only play about 5 hours/week...life. Because of my limited time, I generally keep a backlog of games that I'd like to play. This is compounded by the occasional game that I end up playing for a much longer period of time (200+ hours in Warframe last year...I had more time then because I wasn't married with a house and a dog)
2) Obviously there are games that I'd love to go back and play again (Bulletstorm, Portal 2, Tomb Raider come to mind) but then I'd fall even further behind on my backlog... heck, I just got around to buying BL2 yesterday.
3) I generally get frustrated and despise multi-player unless it's Co-Op. Too many people that have played 10x longer than me that constantly blow my head off or the like.
4) Price definitely factors into how much effort I put into a game I don't wholeheartedly enjoy. The more I pay for a game, the more apt I am to trudge through it in an attempt to "get my money's worth."
5) These days I've found myself gravitating toward F2P games because of my limited free time. I play with my brother and we Skype while playing. It's a catalyst to catch up on each other's lives since we live 6 hours apart. Warframe last year, Loadout this year.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:38 am

Depends on the game. When I "beat" a Disgaea game, the next 6 weeks or so are consumed with endgame re-playing. I got Disgaea D2 right when it came out at Halloween and played it and only it until Christmas.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

SetzerG
Gerbil

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:04 am

I'm a collector, so I always keep it. I don't usually replay them, but it depends on the game. To this day, every year I'm pulling out the original Sid Meier's Civilization... I just like it more than any other Civ game. I eventually do go back to quite a few games I loved. Despite that story-based games are usually my favourite, it's the games with the fun gameplay that keep me coming back years or decades after their release.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:30 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Depends on the game. When I "beat" a Disgaea game, the next 6 weeks or so are consumed with endgame re-playing. I got Disgaea D2 right when it came out at Halloween and played it and only it until Christmas.

When a game has a ~200pg strategy guide (D2), you know it'll take a while to fully complete.

/I loved the first two Disgaea's.

jstern
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:48 pm

superjawes wrote:
Funny...I just got done replaying Metroid Fusion, I've been contemplating another run through the Metroid Prime series. and I picked up Fable: The Lost Chapters via the Summer Sale, which I had played on Xbox years ago.

There are some games that I finish and think, "I have no reason to ever play this game again." But if I really like a game, be it for the story, challenge, or general gameplay, I will usually find myself craving another playthrough eventually. Heck, I'm almost done with a playthough of Wind Waker HD, and that was among my least favorite Zelda titles.

This year I have basically played 4 games. Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario 64. Each one exclusively and not during the same time period.

And what I was doing with each game was basically beating it as fast as I could and then trying to improve on my time. And that just gave it a deeper level of enjoyment, and deeper appreciation for the gameplay, and all the little gameplay elements that I figured out the 5th, 6th, 7th time I played it. That would not be there if I had a whole log of game that I was trying to beat, just for the sake of it.

I'm really good at Super Mario 64 at the moment (so many little things about the gameplay elements), and the other day I was watching this guy play that game. He was so tentative, and careful, just so like a grandma due to lack of knowledge. And really that's the way people are when they play games they've never played before. And I thought what a waste of time it is to pass the game, and then moving on to another game, forgetting 90% of the stages and how they got the stars at that low level, not recalling any of it, just to repeat the same process with another game.

------

And wow, DPete27, you were born in I guess 86, and until you were 18 you only had an NES? That's interesting.

The Egg

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:18 pm

jstern wrote:

My question basically is if having an insane amount of games limit the enjoyment that a person would have if they only had a few?

For the most part I would say yes, it has a very negative impact on enjoyment; especially if the person doesn't have much self-control, like a kid. Playing only 10-20 minutes at a time means that you're just barely scratching the surface of what the game has to offer. If you're missing the overwhelming majority of content in a title, than how can you possibly get full enjoyment? I too have witnessed this type of behavior in kids, but I don't think it's anything specific to a particular generation. It's natural for kids to want to "check everything out", and I think given a huge number of games to choose from, we would have done the same thing. Unfortunately I think the parents are doing their kids a disservice by purchasing so many titles. Not only is it detrimental to their enjoyment, but it only encourages the kids to go through more and more games, which in turn ends up costing the parents alot more money. It's lose-lose.

Kougar wrote:
It depends on the game of course. But consider this (at least in my case) when I was growing up N64 and PC games tended to be $40-60 bucks a pop. Today, we have Steam (and Gog, HumbleBundles, Amazon's aggressive sales matching) etc where an entire game is just pocket change, and even triple A titles that back then would've been only discounted to ~$40-50 after a few months on the shelf, are today instead dropped down as low as $15 after a couple months.

Typical kids can't afford to drop $60 on a game except rarely, so in my case I made sure to buy only N64 or PC games I really wanted. And unless it was a bad one I tended to get a great deal of use out of them. Today any kid can buy an armload of games for the same $60 at least on the PC anyhow. So of course it's going to be different now.

Very true. And if you were buying the games yourself, that means you'll be even less likely to toss it aside. As for Steam sales, I don't think PC is the platform of choice for the majority of kids these days, though it would be nice to see that changing.

puppetworx wrote:
There are also games that I may replay if I ever find myself with too much free time or have been reminiscing about them (Alan Wake, Dishonored) - too much free time probably being the biggest factor in this whole equation. As a kid I had the time to fully explore and replay all the games I wanted, there was no rush either. I think many people, myself included, buy games aspirationally and then never find the time to fully enjoy them. Steam sales and the like tend to compound that problem especially as we've all been trained to be such dutiful consumers and can't seem to turn down a good price for something we may never even use.

Keeping in mind everything I said above, I'm guilty of buying too many games myself, and not fully enjoying (or even playing) many of them. Quite literally, I could probably stop buying games or upgrading my hardware for the next 4-5 years and just enjoy the backlog in my Steam library. It would save me alot of money. That said, I always do my best to try limiting myself to only a few titles at any given time, and usually only one of each genre as well. The library has been causing my focus to drift more frequently though.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Hz so good wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

When a game has a ~200pg strategy guide (D2), you know it'll take a while to fully complete.

/I loved the first two Disgaea's.

Yeah, I guess that's a fair point. You don't get a Nippon Ichi strategy game to ONLY play the story.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Huh. I have a tendency of playing games that can't be completed.

-Simcity 4 DE with 20+ GB of custom content, mods (ex: Network Addon Mod and Realistic Highway Mod), textures and plugins

-Wargame Red Dragon

-Team Fortress 2

-Will be buying Civ Beyond Earth when there's a steam sale for it, preferably after most of the major bugs have been ironed out