Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Flashdrive Folder Password

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Does anyone know of a method to password protect or encrypt only one folder within a flash drive? I would like to be able to use my current drive to transfer files between computers at work (Windows, Macs and Linux) but keep a certain portion of files within the drive private. I haven't been able to find anything that will do this, and figure it has to exist. Thanks for any help!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Flashdrive Folder Password

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:05 pm

StuG wrote:
Does anyone know of a method to password protect or encrypt only one folder within a flash drive? I would like to be able to use my current drive to transfer files between computers at work (Windows, Macs and Linux) but keep a certain portion of files within the drive private. I haven't been able to find anything that will do this, and figure it has to exist. Thanks for any help!

Any paid version of WinZip newer than 11.2 has FIPS-140 compliant encryption available. Dump all your pr0n into a zip file, click the encrypt button, choose AES-256, and voila.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
StuG wrote:

Any paid version of WinZip newer than 11.2 has FIPS-140 compliant encryption available. Dump all your pr0n into a zip file, click the encrypt button, choose AES-256, and voila.

The key here would be, if I go to another computer that doesn't have WinZip will I be able to open it? Not so much THAT type of personal information, but simply stuff I don't want someone to poke around in if I throw them my drive with a work file on it. I appreciate the suggestion! Hopefully it will work for my needs.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:13 pm

StuG wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
StuG wrote:

The key here would be, if I go to another computer that doesn't have WinZip will I be able to open it? Not so much THAT type of personal information, but simply stuff I don't want someone to poke around in if I throw them my drive with a work file on it. I appreciate the suggestion! Hopefully it will work for my needs.

Nope, need WinZip on both sides.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:15 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Nope, need WinZip on both sides.

Gotcha. :/ I guess I am not going to be able to find anything that works fluently across all systems without the needs for an installed program? Seems to be that way.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:24 pm

The other option would be to use a flashdrive that has its own encryption routine loaded in its system partition.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The other option would be to use a flashdrive that has its own encryption routine loaded in its system partition.

Wouldn't those be for the entire drive?

Flash drives are cheap. Just carry 2?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 pm

TrueCrypt? I believe that can be run without installing

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
TrueCrypt? I believe that can be run without installing

Portable, yes, but that means you can't encrypt the whole disk (which may be what the OP want). Set up a container file and encrypt that. It should work. Not going to be super user friendly, but at least it should work.

Unless the "no longer secure" declaration is real (like hackers got hold of the private key), then it should be reasonably secure.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Mightyflapjack
Gerbil

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 am

I suggest you go to portableapps.com

Download their portable app with 7-zip, which has a strong password archive option onto the same thumb drive.

Work with most operating systems: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 & Windows 8.1
Also Works With: Linux, Unix, BSD, etc via Wine & Mac OS X via CrossOver, Wineskin, WineBottler, PlayOnMac

Edit: For the super paranoid, make sure you review the 7-zip options. I believe that it normally uses the system temp folder (Which may leave traces on the PC), you can change that to use a folder on the thumb drive.