Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Requiescat in pace, DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:13 pm

A fond goodbye to one of the most reliable motherboards I have ever owned. For about six years it successively hosted an Athlon FX-55 followed by an Opteron 180 as my primary machine, then spent three more as a home theater PC. Though hosting a 64-bit OS for nearly half that time, it was crippled in the modern age mainly by the dreaded 3.5GB chipset memory limitation, and the Opteron 180 was missing some critical hardware flag that prevented an upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1.

So, it has been replaced by a Dell that was scrapped out at work, a Q9400 with 8GB of RAM. Twice as many cores and twice as much memory means faster video encoding, and on-board DisplayPort means the hot-running Sapphire 4850 is no longer required.

On the upshot, it looks like Opteron 180 CPUs are routinely fetching $40+ on eBay, so I may actually get a consolation prize. Go figure.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Requiescat in pace, DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:08 pm

I miss my old DFI boards. The Ultra Infinity Blood Iron was one of my favorite boards...
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Yup, DFI made some good stuff for a few years there. IIRC they stole one of Abit's motherboard designers, and that's when their enthusiast-oriented motherboards really took off.

Their budget boards weren't bad either. My old DFI K8M800-MLVF is still in service; it has been the basis of my firewall/router box for the past 4 years. Thing is rock solid; last time it was rebooted was over a year ago. (I've got it configured to boot Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS from a CF card.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:41 pm

I have one sitting in a box, want it?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:10 am

anotherengineer wrote:

He retired it because it was obsolete, not because it died.

Hmm... I think I may have one in a box as well. Maybe I will bring it to the BBQ swap fest.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm

I always thought it was "requiescat im pace". Oops! Sorry grandma! Guess my little graveside prayer was a non-sensical. :o

In my defense, I took French (Quebecois), German, and Cantonese in school. Latin wasn't an option.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:41 pm

And more stuff for me to haul home lol :D

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:48 am

just brew it! wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

He retired it because it was obsolete, not because it died.

Yup. The board was still working fine, apart from the chipset fan being demon possessed. But the fan never really ran after boot because I wasn't using the onboard graphics.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Yeah that chipset fan sucked, replaced mine with an aftermarket one. Was tempted to modify a heatsink to go fanless but it wasn't worth the hassle.

I still have that board around along with my original NF2 Infinity. Ah, those were the days.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.