Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: dymt reloaded

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:18 pm

The things one finds when spelunking the file cabinets in search of the oven/range user manual:

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:42 pm

lonleyppl wrote:
Any recommendations for breweries around Madison, WI? I'll be there in a few weeks, and will be newly of legal drinking age, so breweries hold a certain attraction.

New Glarus if you can get to it is the premier microbrewery for the state.

Otherwise my choices in order would be:
Karbon 4
Ale Asylum
Vintage Brewing

There's plenty more after that but if you want other choices or just pubs that have a good selection check this page out:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/37/
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Win 98SE, a fine operating system for it's day.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Vrock wrote:
Win 98SE, a fine operating system for it's day.

And one we in the field staff missed greatly when we were forced on to XP, into a domain, and lost our local admin privileges (well, I've had local root on every box they've given me since, but that's not important right now).

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:19 pm

I have a Win98SE box with a Pentium III 500 on an Abit BH-6 with a Voodoo 3 3000, and an Aureal Vortex 2 sound card. I should really plug it in and see if it still works.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Vrock wrote:
I have a Win98SE box with a Pentium III 500 on an Abit BH-6 with a Voodoo 3 3000, and an Aureal Vortex 2 sound card. I should really plug it in and see if it still works.

Ah, a Quake box.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Going to the auction block in Monterey next month with no reserve:

Most believe it will beat the all-time auction record. There's but 39 that were ever built. If someone says "Ferrari" to me, this is the car that first comes to the mind's eye. I've long since given up hope that I would ever be wealthy enough to own one (any Ferrari, let alone a 250GTO).

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/04/ferr ... e-auction/

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Eh. They're really cool cars, don't get me wrong, but once things get up above a couple hundred grand, I start to lose interest. Even if I had the money, I'd be so scared to drive the car that it wouldn't be enjoyable. I would need to be stupid rich; where money was no object and/or I had my own private track.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:28 pm

Heading out to the Naperville Ribfest. Time to wait in long lines to sample BBQ pork product, and listen to some live retro rock. Headlining band tonight is George Thorogood and the Destroyers... with Blue Oyster Cult opening. :lol: Foghat is playing too, before BOC... but we saw them at Ribfest last year (or was it the year before that?), and don't feel a particular need to see them again.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Heading out to the Naperville Ribfest. Time to wait in long lines to sample BBQ pork product, and listen to some live retro rock. Headlining band tonight is George Thorogood and the Destroyers... with Blue Oyster Cult opening. :lol: Foghat is playing too, before BOC... but we saw them at Ribfest last year (or was it the year before that?), and don't feel a particular need to see them again.

I was at the very first RibFest, in...1987? 88? Somewhere in there. It was nowhere near the event it is now. Like 3 food vendors, a couple carnival rides and I think a few midway games. We went a couple years ago and holy crap!
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:17 pm

I love ribs so a whole Fest in their honor is just what I need. /nomnomnom
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:04 pm

I am full of yummy pork, and have had my ears destroyed by the Destroyers. :lol: BOC was good too (personally I preferred them to Thorogood, but I'm the BOC fan in the family).

Yes, Ribfest has gotten really huge the past few years. They've spread it out over a much larger area, which helps a lot with the crowd density. The downside with the new layout is that it is now a ~2 block walk from the main stage area to the rib vendors. I also really wish they'd get some decent beer at the beer tents, but hey it's a rib festival not a beer festival, so who am I to complain...

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:29 am

http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2010/05/23

Replace the Facebook/blog bit with something about the TR forums and/or LinkedIn, and that's me!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:45 am

That comic is my life. Apparently the guy that writes it used to be an attorney. I can't imagine what a really funny lawyer might be like, so maybe it's good that he got out of that line of work.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Well today is shaping up to be a pretty f**ked up day. Business restructuring and layoffs announced this AM. I still have a job (for now), but several of my co-workers (and the GM and one of the Directors) are out of here.

superjawes

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Sounds like a "make sure your resume is updated" day...good luck, JBI.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Not a great summer business-wise. We hired one last week and fired a different one this week due to a shift in workload, a friend of mine saw five sent packing in his <25-person local office on Tuesday, and another friend has been dreading a layoff announcement since January which, as of last week, had finally spared him but churned a lot of other business sectors in his company.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:26 pm

One of my newer coworkers is just painfully dumb. Nice enough person, but I swear their IQ is probably room temperature. This is getting exasperating. I hate to see someoen that's really trying to do well get in trouble but she's just frigging dumb and it impacts her work.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

The Egg

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:39 pm

What's the point of having so many tennis courts at parks? I don't have anything against the sport, but I've noticed that nearly all suburban parks have multiple tennis courts that sit vacant almost the entire year. It's a very rare occasion that anyone will use even ONE of the courts, but many of these parks have 4, 6, or even more tennis courts with tumbleweeds blowing through them. What's the point? Why do they spend money to build these things and have them sit empty?

Then to top it off, they yell at little kids who happen to ride a bike or a skateboard in them. How dare they abuse the empty tennis courts that nobody uses.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 pm

It is a government conspiracy. They've made contact (and formed an alliance) with the alien race responsible for the Roswell incident. The tennis courts are actually landing pads for the alien spaceships.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:55 am

Just maxed out the RAM (to 4GB) and swapped out the mechanical HDD for an SSD on my creaky old Lenovo laptop. It feels like a new system! I figure I can probably hang on to this latpop for another couple of years now...

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 pm

....especially since "new" laptops come with dual core, ULV processors running at one-point-something GHz because they're so pointlessly thin that there's no room for a decent battery or cooling system.

I can mock ultralight ultraportables in exactly the same way that I can mock people who have spent $5000 making their bicycle a couple of pounds lighter. I can make the combined total weight of me and bicycle two pounds lighter by dropping the Browns off at the superbowl.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 pm

The Egg wrote:
What's the point of having so many tennis courts at parks? I don't have anything against the sport, but I've noticed that nearly all suburban parks have multiple tennis courts that sit vacant almost the entire year. It's a very rare occasion that anyone will use even ONE of the courts, but many of these parks have 4, 6, or even more tennis courts with tumbleweeds blowing through them. What's the point? Why do they spend money to build these things and have them sit empty?

Then to top it off, they yell at little kids who happen to ride a bike or a skateboard in them. How dare they abuse the empty tennis courts that nobody uses.

They're cheap and quick to put up, I imagine.

The one by my parents house was like that, and sat empty. Then they took out the tennis courts and put in a skate park. Oh how the residents complained. To the park district's credit, they basically said "no one used the tennis courts, and the skate park gets used like crazy. STFU"

OTOH, the tennis courts in the park by my house get used all the time, there's people waiting. YMMV I guess
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Ugh, get to the airport early in case security is backed up. Get through security in 2 minutes. Guess I have time for a Heady Topper or two before I get on the plane. Cheap $40 first class upgrade came through as well, so there will be a Scotch chaser. You need it for the run up the river to Reagan National (DCA) given the tight allowable flight profiles.

Wonder if I'll be stuck with Sen. Sanders (C-VT) like I was the last time I did this round trip.

One thing I can't bitch about is this is one of the few airports with free Wi-Fi. Give 'em a throwaway Yahoo addy and they're just fine.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:44 pm

If you procrastinate you can get through in 2 minutes too. Tell 'em you're about to miss your flight and they'll send you to the priority line! :lol:

Envious of your Heady Topper break though. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Envious of your Heady Topper break though. :wink:

I see the donation I left at BBQ found fertile ground. Problem is is that the brewery is absolutely committed to keeping it local. Works for me, but not so much for the rest of the world.

In many ways I get it. They don't want to advertise beyond the range they can supply, and they have no intention of increasing supply.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:32 pm

No sitting US Senator, but a former Governor who I wish was still Governor.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:31 pm

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/ ... get-movie/

Please please please please don't let this fall through again. JMS did so well with the $1.95 and couch change he had per episode back in the early days and to see it done properly would be great.

On another note, arriving home from 6 days in DC, getting to the car in the parking garage, and finding the battery so flat that the key fob doesn't even get a chirp really throws some cold water on finally getting home. Rued the fact that the jumper cables are in my garage, instead of in my trunk, so had to pay a cabbie $25 to get started (after watching/listening to 3 separate groups of Quebecois nearly come to blows over who was first in line at the taxi stand).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:14 am

Ugh. A strange noise downstairs that sets off the dog. I hurry downstairs to find out what's going on and am greeted by the sickly sweet smell of The Magic Smoke. Somehow something shorted out on my stereo amplifier (Carver M 400t, a/k/a Carver Cube) and it's now gone to the component graveyard in the sky. Thankfully nothing else in the stack was powered up at the time (amp stayed on 24/7 because it doesn't have an on/off switch). I think the speakers (Polk Audio Monitor 10Bs) are OK, but no way to easily check.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:20 am

Could be just a blown capacitor.