Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

flycaster
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

PC off, still speaker hum?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Not sure when the hum started, but I know that it wasn't always there. The speakers are Harmon/Kardon desktops and there is an accompanying subW. The hum is not responsive to volume regulation, nor is it responsive to shutting down the computer and the monitor. The only thing that stops the low hum is to turn the speaker off or to unplug it. The speaker's plug is plugged into the same power source as the computer. Moving the speaker's plug to different positions on the power bar, makes no difference. Hum still there. All cable/wire hookups are in good shape.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: PC off, still speaker hum?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Sounds like a grounding issue. Were they always plugged into the exact same outlet/power strip that they're currently plugged into?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

toki
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:24 pm

I have this same problem as well. Mine is due to the placement of the connecter into the computer. If I turn the cord, the humming stops usually. I've had this problem for a little bit now.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Does the system use a conventional (analog) plug from the computer audio connector to the speaker system? (I.e., not USB or optical-digital)? If so, it may have come loose or developed a bad connection at one end.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 pm

What they said. Also could be the power supply for the speakers is failing, and letting too much ripple from the AC mains into the analog amp circuitry. Do these speakers have a separate power brick, or is the power supply inside the sub?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

toki
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:16 pm

I have mine running into a splitter. I one pair that is 2.0, then another pair that are newer that is 2.1. The older pair is over a decade old. The power is in the speaker on the older pair. I bought the newer pair because I thought the older pair was going out, but then they turned back on eventually.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Another thing to look for is analog signal cords running parallel to power cords for any decent length. It's fairly easy to induct a 60Hz hum into a speaker if it's simple bell wire up against a power cord.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 pm

If you haven't already, ya should try disconnecting the speakers from the computer and see if the humming is still there just to rule out the system entirely.

toki
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:49 pm

For me, the humming only occurs when plugging the speaker connecter in. I have taken it out so I can clean the computer a few times and the humming has been there every time.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:15 pm

toki wrote:
For me, the humming only occurs when plugging the speaker connecter in. I have taken it out so I can clean the computer a few times and the humming has been there every time.

Yeah, when the signal cable isn't connected to anything it acts like an antenna, and picks up induced hum from any AC power wiring in the vicinity.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:44 am

On my home theatre setup, the subwoofer automatically turns itself on when it gets a signal from the receiver and turns itself off after not getting any signal for a little while. This means that after turning the receiver off the subwoofer is still on for a minute or so with the lead to it acting as an antenna so it hums. When the receiver is on I have no hum as it is actually holding the output to the subwoofer at 0V.

I wonder if the same thing may be happening with your setup?