Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Xiki

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:08 am

http://xiki.org/

Somone saw it on Kickstarter and showed it to me. It looks pretty interesting. Has anyone tried it?

deepblueq
Gerbil

Re: Xiki

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:15 am

My first thoughts were along the lines of "What are you kids doing to my CLI? Get off my lawn!" I'm really too young to be that guy already. I'll take a more serious look at it tomorrow.
Pentium G3258 @ 4.3 | MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost | 8GB G.Skill DDR3-2133 | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Crucial MX100 256GB | Corsair Graphite 380T

deepblueq
Gerbil

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:32 pm

At least for my use cases, it looks to be solving non-existent problems. The one thing that looked kinda cool to me was the expandable menus (for file management), but if I'm doing some file management that's not easy in a conventional CLI, it's really not hard to start a conventional file manager.

A lot of what I'm trying to do for workflow optimization is not switch around a lot between keyboard and mouse. Xiki can be used KB-only, but the features that look interesting still require scrolling of some sort, meaning arrow keys. That's not quite as disruptive as switching to a mouse, and it may save some keystrokes, but it nullifies multi-finger parallelism when typing - I can reflexively type familiar commands at a lot higher char/sec than I can repetitively press a single key.

tl;dr: It might be able to improve my workflow, but not by very much, and I don't think there's any way I would find it worth the non-standard tool set.

Where I can imagine it being really handy is for people who sort of know their way around a CLI, but haven't spent enough time there for use of it to be reflexive. It could make some things a lot easier in that case.
Pentium G3258 @ 4.3 | MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost | 8GB G.Skill DDR3-2133 | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Crucial MX100 256GB | Corsair Graphite 380T

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:56 pm

You have a point. But it would be useful in an ssh environment and you needed bash and python in one shell. In cases like that it would be very nice.
I don't see myself using it. However, I can imagine if I started with it I would love it. But once you get in a groove you kinda get in that "get off my CLI" mentality. I am like that with vi. Vim is handy, but I could live without it, nano, etc.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 am

Losergamer04 wrote:
But it would be useful in an ssh environment and you needed bash and python in one shell.

Tmux solves this problem for me quite nicely.

deepblueq wrote:
Where I can imagine it being really handy is for people who sort of know their way around a CLI, but haven't spent enough time there for use of it to be reflexive. It could make some things a lot easier in that case.

The fish shell is meant to solve this problem.

Anyway, I'll have to take a look at it. My initial thought is that it would be better as a next-gen version of irb on the shell, and the web interface is the really neat part.