Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Re: Star Citizen: from the creator of Wing Commander

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 am

alright:
  • we broke 2.5 million last night at 8pm et, so the game will launch with an additional ship: the anvil aerospace gladiator (it's a bomber). ten lucky backers will get one for free.
  • we've broken the 750,000 stretch goal on kickstarter long ago, so now everyone who has backed gets a free repair bot.
  • there is a live chat feature that was added to the rsi website if you want to chat amongst your "star citizens".
  • finally, chris roberts will be answering questions again on reddit in 20 minutes from now (1pm et). i'll update with a link when it goes live (presumably he'll be there all day). get those questions ready!

the reddit ama is now over, but there are plenty of answers to go through!
Last edited by Cyco-Dude on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:22 pm

I would love to get into this game, but if I do, I will never get out. Too many other interesting things in my life right now to split time with, least of which is Cub Scout leadership. Nobody, nobody told me how much work and fun it is.

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:07 pm

well, it's due date is in 2-3 years...a lot can change by then. maybe you'll find you'll have some time for it after all? i guess you'll know in two years right? :P

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:28 pm

Cyco-Dude wrote:
if i'm not mistaken, a kilrathi gave her the business end of his claws.

You are mistaken. That was the other love interest, the pilot. She died in the beginning of the sequel. Allen's character quietly faded into obscurity.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

LostCat

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:36 am

I pitched in my 35.

I hate investing in things that haven't been made yet because I have no guarantee of a quality release.

But the last space sim I loved was Freelancer, and I miss them. :cry:

Hope Andrew Sega gets some music in there somewhere, even if I doubt it.
Meow.

druidcent

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:00 pm

I go mostly by the developers.. I trust Chris Roberts to make a great game.. especially with the backing the are getting in the industry (nvidia, etc)

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Alright, we're coming down to the final few days! Here's a goofy video from Chris Roberts to get you amped up (rofl).

Here's the latest rundown:

ign article is here! 18 pages of constellation goodness.

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Alright people, we are at the final 24 hours of this campaign! We currently stand at 4.75 MILLION dollars pledged, with 5+ million in our sights. If anyone wants to pledge, but hasn't done so yet, you can use a friend's referral link (here's mine) to get an extra 250 credits and a chance to win some swag. If you pledged on the kickstarter page, you can still enter to win. you'll be sent a survey at the end of the funding period asking if anyone recruited you (my rsi name is the same.. Cyco-Dude ). If you've already pledged on the rsi website and you want 250 more credits and a change to win some swag, click on the "your account" link at the top and enter my (or a friends, whatever) e-mail or user name into the referrer box. It's the last day to win some cool stuff; get it while you can.

Additionally, there are a number of limited-time add-ons as well as some other goodies, so check them out! I'm linking to the kickstarter post to take some load off of the RSI website. It's getting hammered right now, so please be patient!

You'll still be able to pledge after this initial crowd-funding is over. If you pledge now though, you'll be able to upgrade your pledge at a later date in case you really want something but don't have all the cash now. There will be a live-stream marathon going until the campaign is over; I'll update with the relevant links when everything goes live!

ok, they're getting the streams set up now on ustream.
chris' stream
ben's stream
office stream
site that has all streams in one window
twitch tv re-stream with multiple stream and chat windows!

*UPDATE*
we've broken the 5 Million dollar milestone. we've broken the 5.5 million dollar milestone (playable carriers, whoa!)! unreal! broke 6 million with 90 minutes left...it just doesn't stop!

*UPDATE 2*
pledge total of $6,225,582 as of 2:00pm et november 19th, with $2,134,374 coming from their kickstarter. they are having a grace period if you haven't pledged yet, or couldn't pledge during the last 48 hours of the fund raising period. you will be able to pledge (or purchase add-ons, or upgrade your current pledge) at the original tiers and prices until monday the 26th.

d53642
Gerbil

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Actually just found Tech Report Cyco.

Seen a few interesting sub forums on here I am going to check out too.

But like Cyco said. The grace period is on and its come to close this Monday so time is running out to get into the alpha and beta tests and to pickup some of the new limited ships.

Head over to Star Citizen and pledge today as citizenship is earned not given.

Now to go look for some Sim City stuff on here.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm

So, up to $48 million now ...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

That's a lot of crowd funding $ for the dead pc gaming platform.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

LostCat

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:05 am

danny e. wrote:
So, up to $48 million now ...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

That's a lot of crowd funding $ for the dead pc gaming platform.

*shrug* Seems like there's more money in PC than consoles now.

If the 360 and PS3 hadn't overstayed their welcome by several years it might be a different story.
Meow.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 am

AAA publishers could have been raking it in if they hadn't pissed off the PC world with endless cookie-cutter rehashes, oppressive DRM, and an our-way-or-else approach to distribution and support. Star Citizen is as much a lightning rod for gamers' frustration with the state of the industry as it is an active development project--I'm certainly not the only one backing crowdfunds with what used to be my game budget.

I suspect it'll hit 60 before launch, which given SC's lean approach to marketing and overhead may actually translate to one of the largest development budgets ever.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:21 pm

I decided to jump on board tonight. I suspect it to be a fairly long and bumpy ride considering the final universe isn't supposed to be completed till end of 2016.
However, I really like the idea behind the game. Hopefully they expand the world on the planets as well.

downloading now. maybe tomorrow after work I'll get to explore my hangar and take a spin in one of my ships.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:13 am

Hopefully you've got a good graphics card, the hangar module bogged down my 650Ti and the final specs are supposedly even higher. I haven't got around to trying out dogfighting yet, as I'm more interested in exploration and the single-player experience.

LostCat

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:39 am

NovusBogus wrote:
Hopefully you've got a good graphics card, the hangar module bogged down my 650Ti and the final specs are supposedly even higher. I haven't got around to trying out dogfighting yet, as I'm more interested in exploration and the single-player experience.

Was fine on my 660. I think they've got a lot of optimization work to do still though.

I haven't gone into the dogfighting thing either for mostly the same reasons.
Meow.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:02 am

NovusBogus wrote:
endless cookie-cutter rehashes, oppressive DRM, and an our-way-or-else approach

This is where the "PC gaming is dead" stories come from. The AAA publishers are screwing up and they're not getting the money anymore. Even the short-attention spanned-people who used to buy the rehashed sequels are being tempted away by tablet and smartphone gaming.

The money is still there in PC gaming, it's just going to a myriad of smaller companies that aren't big enough to be in the surveys that Gartner et al carry out to generate these figures in the first place. Steam is more successful than ever and the demand for better IGPs and the fact that they're selling well is a response to the fact that even "web/email/word" users want to do some casual gaming these days. When Intel's IGPs sucked, there was a huge market for better dGPUs and many even bough AMD's APUs despite the battery-life issues. 1st-gen Ultrabooks were a flop partly because they were too expensive and partly because they didn't have any graphics capabilities.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

druidcent

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Savyg wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:

Was fine on my 660. I think they've got a lot of optimization work to do still though.

I haven't gone into the dogfighting thing either for mostly the same reasons.

I tried the dog-fighting on my 560Ti and it was fine... Haven't tried multi-player yet, but the single player was fun to dip my toes into.. You may want to look into trying out the single player, since it took a little time for me to get used to..

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:29 pm

Do we have a release date yet?
I have been looking forward to Star Citizen FOREVER and it's still seemingly so far away

I refuse to play anything other than the finished product because I have been burned by many early-access/kickstarters.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Do we have a release date yet?
I have been looking forward to Star Citizen FOREVER and it's still seemingly so far away

I refuse to play anything other than the finished product because I have been burned by many early-access/kickstarters.

Next year sometime for single player.
End of 2016 for the entire game to be done.
I suspect probably longer.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 am

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropp ... uilt-game/

Seriously 2500 bucks!? If this game ever goes live...............
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Ninjitsu
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:40 am

To be fair, the scope and complexity of this game would suggest that it'll take at least 5 years to develop, going by the dev time of other big AAA games.

By big I mean Skyrim types, not CoDface: Quake 3 Reloded X (which also take about 2 years).

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:42 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
I suspect it'll hit 60 before launch

Haha, looks like someone sucks at predicting his own pet issue. :lol:

In my defense, I thought SC would kick off more big-ticket crowdfunds but most projects have been in the $1-5 million range with more of a niche audience. Which is probably better for the overall health of the industry...20 smaller but 'good enough' games that hit the mark are more interesting than a couple of really big ones that may be good but also likely suffer from big-tent syndrome.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:15 am

NovusBogus wrote:
20 smaller but 'good enough' games that hit the mark are more interesting than a couple of really big ones that may be good but also likely suffer from big-tent syndrome.

After reading the Wired article it sounds like SC is in full on scope creep mode. Instead of focusing on core game attributes they are doing side things. Like the ships themselves. They need to limit it to like 4 and then build the world/universe. It really is a project that needs to be handled like an MMO. Core game first then addons/expansions later.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:50 am

I have the game, but I'm starting to lean towards the wired article. So much time, so little done besides raise money. There is literally no game play still. why it's currently 25gb i have no idea. there is nothing there.

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:05 am

I also have the game. I haven't quite given up hope yet, but I'm not as excited as I was. I may end up getting Elite: Dangerous so I can play a space sim that's at least (mostly) done.
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:14 am

It's ludicrous to think about the money thrown at SC and to hear those things. Especially since people threw 2 grand + on a ship for a game that's not even close to being done. ( I don't judge because I have purchased virtual goods before, just not 2 grand worth :/ ) But a question that comes to mind is how often are you guys with the game seeing updates? Are they even rolling out incremental patches on a regular basis?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:51 am

"patches" are usually additional ships or junk that you can buy. Actually little has ACTUALLY been done in terms of gameplay, at least it appears that way on the consumers end (to me anyway).

You're right that sometimes virtual goods are ok to buy. spending thousands is insane

Pez
Gerbil

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:11 am

alloyD wrote:
I also have the game. I haven't quite given up hope yet, but I'm not as excited as I was. I may end up getting Elite: Dangerous so I can play a space sim that's at least (mostly) done.

Elite is awesome :)
i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz - ASUS Maximus Gene VI - Sapphire Radeon FURY - Custom Watercooling - Corsair 350D
Acid Techno DJ

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 am

I haven't heard of elite before. What's it like? how's the gameplay? what kinds of stuff can you do?

Pez
Gerbil

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:53 am

sweatshopking wrote:
I haven't heard of elite before. What's it like? how's the gameplay? what kinds of stuff can you do?

You've.... never heard of Elite... :o

It's just hit Steam today so no need to get direct any longer

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35932 ... 1_4_4__106

It's the original space-trading/exploring game. Fly out, see the Galaxy, get rich or die trying. Become a pirate and tackle other players or fly solo on your own tour of the universe.

Beginners guide:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ight=guide

Personally I love it. As the universe is evolving directly relating to players actions (Systems can flip faction, alliances drop etc) it keeps things interesting, there are private groups so you don't have to fly in player-pirated space if you dont want to. Combat is pretty well balanced and exploring and seeing just how beautiful the Universe is is also rewarding (in terms of looks, and credits)

Happy to answer anything specific
i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz - ASUS Maximus Gene VI - Sapphire Radeon FURY - Custom Watercooling - Corsair 350D
Acid Techno DJ