Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Leather 3-Ring Binder with Custom Letters...

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:27 am

Weird request, so let me explain. A few months ago my dad's work car was broken into, and among the things stolen was a 3-ring binder with many of his teaching materials. His birthday is coming up soon, and I would like to get him something nice and meaningful.

While I cannot replace the notes he lost, I think he would apprecate a nice binder replacement. It has to have the 3-ring binder to attach new notes, it should zip closed, and I would like it to have custom letters for his initials.

My problem is that I'm not sure where to find something like this, and I'm hoping a few gerbils might be able to help. If you know a real store in the Chicago suburbs, that would be ideal. Otherwise I'll have to order something online.

Thanks in advance :)
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

The Egg

Re: Leather 3-Ring Binder with Custom Letters...

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:17 am

Hmm....I've seen leather binders and such at Office Depot/Staples, but I can't really vouch for their selection. Office supply stores have kindof been the bane of my existance. If you go on their sites, most of what's shown is "Online Only", which usually leaves a pathetically small (and overpriced) selection. If you do happen to find something good offered in-store, you'll want to call and verify stock before driving out.

You might also look for a "Stationary" section in Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or JoAnne Fabrics. It's also possible that place with luggage might have something along those lines.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 am

For the monogramming side, check out Things Remembered. They might even have a binder that works for you.

superjawes
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 pm

There are some good ideas here. Things Remembered is probably the closest so far, although they don't have anything listed online in the three-ring variety. There could be a couple of alternatives if I can't find one, though.

Thanks, guys!
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:49 pm

Pricey, but looks sweet:

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Convertibl ... B0009WH0F2

As for monogramming, find a local cobbler (yes, they do still exist; if you know anyone in the SCA/cosplay crowd they'll be full of suggestions) and he/she can tool in an incised monogram and probably gold-leaf it for you as well.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

The Egg

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:33 pm

I can't help much further, but apparently the term to search for is: Padfolio

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:50 pm

Normally I am not a fan of Brookstone (they're overpriced) but they actually have some fairly nice ones that you can order personalized.