Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

On the hunt for an awesome (but reasonably priced) HOTAS

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:55 pm

I bit the bullet, and got DCS A-10C (my favorite plane in the universe), and DCS Black Shark.

I've got them sorta kinda working when the stars align just right, and I really do need a proper joystick for these. I've mainly been eyeing the the Thrustmaster wartog HOTAS

I've heard some people recommend the saitek x52. I like the sci-fi look, and the touchscreen *might* come in handy.

Anybody have a better suggestions? I'm all ears.

*editted for BBCode fail*
Last edited by Hz so good on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Re: On the hunt for an awesome (but reasonably priced) HOTAS

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:03 am

I read this review on RPS. Not all HOTAS, but something to get started.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/22/best-flight-stick/

Personally, I've always liked CHPoducts gear. I haven't used their throttle or pedals, but the build quality of the sticks I've owned is excellent. My 20yr old Flightstick and the 15yr old Fighterstick work like new. They still use KB passthrough for control, but they work. I may replace them with a USB version at some point.
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:42 am

ericfulmer wrote:
I read this review on RPS. Not all HOTAS, but something to get started.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/22/best-flight-stick/

Personally, I've always liked CHPoducts gear. I haven't used their throttle or pedals, but the build quality of the sticks I've owned is excellent. My 20yr old Flightstick and the 15yr old Fighterstick work like new. They still use KB passthrough for control, but they work. I may replace them with a USB version at some point.

I'll have to check into those. My last joystick was an old MS Flightstick that plugged into my AWE64, so it's been a whole since I checked that scene out.

Although, I do have a buddy that shelled out over a grand on one of those F1 steering wheel/pedal combo to race online, so I guess I can't squawk too much about the price of a good flightstick. Between A-10C, Black Shark, Star Citizen, and the new Elite, I'm definitely gonna need something besides a gamepad.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:27 am

What can I say, I have the earlier Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS, and it is AWESOME.

Can't say how it compares to Saitek, but the Thrustmaster is really, really nice, although you basically have to bolt it to something because of the stiff springs. And there's quite a few mods available.

Although sadly, it's horribly underused at the moment since I run battlefield 4 more, and actually have to keep a Logitech wingman 3d pro for that purpose, because the quick non-sim games are horrible with a HOTAS with stiff springs, Logitech is for play fly like the BF4 and BF3 stuff, HOTAS is for seriousness.

You might want to get into looking at rudder pedals and TrackIR as well. Pedals especially if you want to get into choppers.

And take a look at some of Dskyecxi's videos. He flies a fair bit in Arma and several other things and has videos up on pedals, TrackIR, etc.
Just a couple of days ago he looked at a new rudder pedal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_5keOriIo

But if you are going to be hard into the A-10, Thrustmaster Warthog would be a good thing.... you know, for realism. But they are quite expensive.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:10 am

Aphasia wrote:
What can I say, I have the earlier Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS, and it is AWESOME.

Can't say how it compares to Saitek, but the Thrustmaster is really, really nice, although you basically have to bolt it to something because of the stiff springs. And there's quite a few mods available.

Although sadly, it's horribly underused at the moment since I run battlefield 4 more, and actually have to keep a Logitech wingman 3d pro for that purpose, because the quick non-sim games are horrible with a HOTAS with stiff springs, Logitech is for play fly like the BF4 and BF3 stuff, HOTAS is for seriousness.

You might want to get into looking at rudder pedals and TrackIR as well. Pedals especially if you want to get into choppers.

And take a look at some of Dskyecxi's videos. He flies a fair bit in Arma and several other things and has videos up on pedals, TrackIR, etc.
Just a couple of days ago he looked at a new rudder pedal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_5keOriIo

But if you are going to be hard into the A-10, Thrustmaster Warthog would be a good thing.... you know, for realism. But they are quite expensive.

This is dating myself, but when I was little, we'd be on myrtle beach wacthing the A-10s come in from the ocean so low, all us kids would wave and the pilots would dip their wings to wave back. Awesome memories, and since I'm from a military family, I love all things that go boom, and the A-10 is still my favorite. (fun fact: A-10s are also perfect for maritime interdiction, The USAF is stupid to try mothballing the best CAS platform we have)

The main reason I got Black Shark was because I haven't played a helicopter game, since my (late)dad bought me the original Gunship for DOS. Guess it was just nostalgia. I don;t mind getting a cheaper setup for the chopper game, but I GOTTA have that Thrustmaster. Even if it means putting off getting an MT-32 or SC-88 for old DOS games.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:26 am

I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar just like Aphasia, and can echo everything he said. I suggest rounding out the experience with a few extras, such as a pair of Nomex flight gloves. I got my pair many years ago for about $25 online and it felt so cool slipping them on before a sim session.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:30 am

FireGryphon wrote:
I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar just like Aphasia, and can echo everything he said. I suggest rounding out the experience with a few extras, such as a pair of Nomex flight gloves. I got my pair many years ago for about $25 online and it felt so cool slipping them on before a sim session.

I might just do that! LOL!

If anyone spots me running around with aviator sunglasses on, just put me out of my misery. :P

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:52 pm

Looks like I'm SOL on the Cougar. Everyone is sold out, except for the two multifunction displays (which DO look neat, but not $70 neat). Looks like I'm stuck with either the Saitek X52 Pro or X55, the $500 Thrustmaster warthog HOTAS, or some flimsy looking $45 thrustmaster x for PC and PS3.

IS there a kickass flight stick out there that won't cost a small fortune? When I was kid, I had a lapboard I'd set my MS Flightstick and keyboard on, to play Tie Fighter and the Wing Commander games. I *might* be willing to go that cheap route, but I really REALLY want a good HOTAS.

Looks like it'll be a few months before I can swing $500 on a controller (at least it's not like the $200 waste of space that Capcom xbox controller was!)