Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mobile GPU throttling at stock settings and 72C

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:24 pm

I've been looking at purchasing an used Elitebook 840 G1 laptop (i7 4600U, 1600x900, Radeon 8750M). I'm tempted to buy this laptop partially because two users confirmed they were able to overclock the dual-core ULV from 2.9 GHz to 3.4GHz using Intel's XTU, and one of them ran a stress test for two days to confirm that the CPU is stable.

The only issue is that the laptop's GPU throttles long before the thermal limit is reached, and neither one of the users figured out how to stop the throttling. I suspect HP is mostly responsible since there's an Acer laptop that also has the 8750M and only throttles down to 650 MHz on occasions at 80C.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-busi ... ost9739967

Anyways there is no way to circumvent the GPU power throttling. I even managed to overclock it, but it actually made it worse because the AMD powertune limits made it throttle harder. I couldn't figure out how to increase the powertune limits.

...the throttling is really bad jumping between 570-670 and down to 300MHz, with 300 being throttled to half of the given time. I would understand the idea of the 8750M is for additional support in mostly business like situations for apps that would benefit from it.
Really though what is the point if throttling is so bad the 8750M is running half the power half of the time. Worse part is having huge lag and stuttering. Seem like a travesty to have to under clock the GPU down to 300MHz permanently to keep it level headed, and very weak at that.

btw. 72 C is the point of the throttling, keep it under that (play out in the snow during winter) and you should be good. Pretty much impossible in the real world.

Notebookcheck review also confirmed that the GPU was throttling and thus causing micro-stutter when playing Dota 2, and system temperature was only 72C. The i7-4600U only throttled from 2.9 GHz to 2.4 GHz (base clock rate is 2.1 GHz).

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Upd ... 037.0.html
Cropped image from notebookcheck:
Last edited by UnfriendlyFire on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Mobile GPU throttling at stock settings and 72C

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:39 pm

You'll have to flash the BIOS to increase the Max Temp.

You can use Radeon Bios Editor if it's an AMD GPU. I dunno about nvidia.
Trump 2020

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Considering the fact that it's throttling down to 300 mhz at 72C means either HP set the thermal limit to something like low-mid 60C, or there's a fairly low TDP limit.

Not sure if the Radeon BIOS editor will work with an embedded mobile GPU.

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:57 am

Nobody has a clue of what to do?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:28 am

Just don't overclock laptops.
It's destroys the Li-Ion battery chemistry, and they run hot like the sun which also hurts battery longevity, even as their tiny fans drive your ears to tinitus.
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:28 am

Are you sure it is thermal throttling and not a power issue?
Could it be the GPU not receiving the power needed to ramp up?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:42 am

I had a Latitude E6540 for a little while, i7-4800MQ and Radeon 8790M. It throttled like a mad mofo, both GPU and CPU.

I would imagine HP has set their GPU throttle points more conservatively to prevent the GPU from overheating the CPU.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 am

didn't read the articles, but there's always the brute force approach
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Just don't overclock laptops.
It's destroys the Li-Ion battery chemistry, and they run hot like the sun which also hurts battery longevity, even as their tiny fans drive your ears to tinitus.

MaxTheLimit wrote:
Are you sure it is thermal throttling and not a power issue?
Could it be the GPU not receiving the power needed to ramp up?

That screenshot is from the notebookcheck review website. Stock GPU settings, and yet it throttles at 72C while playing Dota 2.

The fact that the laptop allows stable CPU overclock but throttles the GPU is confusing.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:15 am

Might be a choice by HP to keep fan noise and battery temperatures under control.

I had a Dell studio that was throttling the HD4650 a few years back; Called Dell tech support and they said it was by design - after pressing for more info it was because the 95W power brick couldn't deliver enough juice. Rather than ship the laptop with a more expensive brick they chose to keep the brick size (and cost, obviously) down and let the GPU throttle under full load.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:20 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Might be a choice by HP to keep fan noise and battery temperatures under control.

I serviced an Asus laptop once that was throttling the CPU to something like...33% of it's max frequency all the time, even though the fan was at very low RPM and temps were nice and low also. Turned out, Asus' power management software (although not running in the system tray) was causing the problem and was overriding Windows power settings. Once I uninstalled the Asus software, Windows power settings kicked back in and it ramped up just fine.
Not saying that's the case here, but....maybe?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:45 pm

Especially in laptops, removing all of the vendor bloatware is always a Good IdeaTM
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:52 pm

I'd become used to formatting the hard drive as the first thing to do after unpacking a brand new laptop.

Thankfully, I don't have to do that anymore because the first thing I do is remove the vendor-infected mechanical drive and insert a new, blank SSD.

Seriously, when vendors stop charging 4x the premium for NAND storage and RAM upgrades, hell will freeze over, I'm sure of it.

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:00 pm

I remember uninstalling a 90-day trial kids game on my Asus laptop, and it broke Windows 7 registry. I used to think program uninstalls that leave files everywhere is a sign of bad programming. Breaking the registry is a new low.

The Elitebook 840 I'm looking at already has a 256GB SSD. I'll be doing a fresh Windows 8 + Classic Shell installation, partly because I've heard that Windows 8 has better battery management than Windows 7.

If the laptop does have the GPU non-thermal throttling issue, is it worth bothering HP technical support?

xonarlover
Gerbil

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I'd become used to formatting the hard drive as the first thing to do after unpacking a brand new laptop.

Thankfully, I don't have to do that anymore because the first thing I do is remove the vendor-infected mechanical drive and insert a new, blank SSD.

Seriously, when vendors stop charging 4x the premium for NAND storage and RAM upgrades, hell will freeze over, I'm sure of it.

Like how my new macbook pro has soldered RAM. I had to go for the mid tier 2.6 GHz with 256 SSD along with 8 gb of ram because Apple doesn't allow 3rd party ssd's to use TRIM. (Unless I use a less than official tweak).

I like this laptop, but I miss the expandability of my older laptops.
FX 6300 - CM TX3 - GTX 760 - CX500 - 970a-d3p - 256 GB SSD + 32 GB SSD - 750 GB HDD + 1 TB HDD - ASUS PB278Q - Lite On DVD drive - WinTV-HVR-1250 - ASUS Xonar DX - Rosewill Challenger - 2 module 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 RAM - Sennheiser HD 280

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:07 am

UnfriendlyFire wrote:
If the laptop does have the GPU non-thermal throttling issue, is it worth bothering HP technical support?

I doubt HP would be of much help, but a quick search says that there are no custom or modded BIOSes for the Elitebook 840 either, so they may be your only option.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:43 pm

You might look into undervolting it a little bit. Again this involves flashing the VBIOS which is a little dangerous. Some other people have mentioned an AMD utility to do this... I've only ever used NiBiTor for nvidia cards. There's typically a little headroom and it affects heat dramatically.

Other than that, maybe a slight underclock would be safer?

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:50 pm

What tools would you suggest using to flash a vBIOS for a Radeon 8750M and lower voltage?

I'm pretty sure if I flash the vBIOS and brick it, the warranty service would notice it.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:05 pm

UnfriendlyFire wrote:
What tools would you suggest using to flash a vBIOS for a Radeon 8750M and lower voltage?

I'm pretty sure if I flash the vBIOS and brick it, the warranty service would notice it.

chµck mentioned this:
chµck wrote:
You'll have to flash the BIOS to increase the Max Temp.

You can use Radeon Bios Editor if it's an AMD GPU. I dunno about nvidia.

No idea if it'll work for mobile though...

I'd think the warranty service would just see a dead vBIOS as a dead video card and nothing more. They don't try to spend too long on these things, they just want to fix it as quickly/cheaply as possible.

Anyway, before you go crazy with flashing I'd check to see the heatsinks are making proper contact with everything they are supposed to. Maybe it's being limited by a temp sensor you can't read? 72C seems correct though... hm.

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:51 pm