Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

esc_in_ks
Gerbil
Topic Author

BF4 Browser Plugin

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:12 pm

I read in the Shortbread earlier this week that BF4 was free for 100+ hours on Origin this week. I figured I'd get it, play through the single-player/campaign, and see how I liked it. So, after downloading the massive thing, I click on Play. Usually, in most games, that starts the game. Not here. It starts my browser. After finding the Play Campaign button and clicking it, it wants me to install a browser plugin. I don't see a way around that.

Aside from tracking me, selling my data, and generally making me less secure, what could the possible justification be for how this is going to make my BF4 gaming experience more enjoyable? I barely trust EA's game software on my machine anyway, let alone some browser plugin they've cobbled together that can sit idle on my machine waiting to be exploited as I travel around the internet.

It's taken a while, but I'm starting to understand why people dump on EA so much.
Home: PC-D600, Seasonic 850 Titanium, Apex X299, 7940X @ 4.1 GHz, H115i, 32G DDR4 3200, 960 Evo 1T+500G, 850 EVO 1T, GTX 1080, U3818+2x U2515h, Linux, Win10
Work: Arc Midi, 650TX, P8Z77-V LK, 3770, 32G, 830 128G, 2x1TB, NVS 295, 2xU3014, Linux

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: BF4 Browser Plugin

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:09 am

I've heard people harp on EA for many things, but the browser plugin is basically one of the things people generally aren't harping on. The whole point of the Plugin is for communication between battlelog and your game client. The model is that you need to stop thinking of the current games EA FPS games as they were the traditional model. The point why most people feel it odd is because they are used to what in reality is has always been kind of roundabout way with people always starting a game to do even the smallest thing like look if friends were playing.

The plugin itself is because of the stuff that you don't need to do from the client moved out to a browser interface. That is part of what usually goes into the game are done from the browser, that is, all stat's, friendslist, server-browsing, loadouts. Only thing that aren't in Battlelog sadly enough is the keybindings and graphics options. And yes, it also allows you to have a full map on the secondary screen when playing. So if you ever go into origin, that's the wrong way to do it. What you need to realize is that you start the game by starting the browser, then it will start the game client at joining a server.

As for if you like it or not, that's the personal opinion, but it's actually one of the more innovative moves done in a bunch of years, decoupling what would otherwise would be a laborious process of starting the game, logging in, looking for you friends in game is now one click on a shortcut. Not to mention that bit is actually multiplatform, allowing you the map and loadout on an iPad for instance, or a laptop on the side. IIRC, it also works just fine for the console side as well, although the console does have an in-game server browser as well.

As for tracking, selling your data, I guess you A. didn't actually read the EULA, and B. didn't go into origin and choose whether they are allowed to share your data or not. So that part is on you, it's not forcing you to do anything. As for security, you might also wan't to go into origin and setup two-factor authentication.

And yes, as long as the game is downloaded before I think today's end, you have a 100 hours of in-game time to use. That's plenty for the singpleplayer, which if anything, os the least of reasons for a game like BF since it's inherrantly multiplayer in nature. But if you haven't played BF3, BF4 or MoH, which I assume you haven't since you weren't familiar with Battlelog, it's a decent tutorial.

esc_in_ks
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:11 am

Aphasia wrote:
As for tracking, selling your data, I guess you A. didn't actually read the EULA, and B. didn't go into origin and choose whether they are allowed to share your data or not. So that part is on you, it's not forcing you to do anything.

You're right, I didn't. I took the usually safe assumption that "they're out to get me". It is EA after all. :-?

I still feel that with the power of good ol' HTML 5, they could've done it without a browser plugin.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me like EA's FAQ couldn't. I try to balance myself between "old man that complains about stuff" and "technology enthusiast". You've convinced me to go ahead and give it a try.
Home: PC-D600, Seasonic 850 Titanium, Apex X299, 7940X @ 4.1 GHz, H115i, 32G DDR4 3200, 960 Evo 1T+500G, 850 EVO 1T, GTX 1080, U3818+2x U2515h, Linux, Win10
Work: Arc Midi, 650TX, P8Z77-V LK, 3770, 32G, 830 128G, 2x1TB, NVS 295, 2xU3014, Linux

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:37 am

To be honest, I hated the browser plugin/interface when it was first used in BF3. I've grown accustomed to it but that doesn't mean I like it. To me it feels a little clunky to use even after getting used to it. And I also feel that it's a cheap way of not coding in a game browser within the game itself.

Also there is another plugin called Better Battlelog that you can run that enhances the current Battlelog. You can grab it at getbblog.com . I highly suggest it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:48 am

esc_in_ks - if you try it and don't like it, that's another thing. Each to his own. As for the privacy thing, at one time it would've been true, but after the flak they got, they seem to have been trying to make changes in that regard. But as far as discussion among the public, it seems many people are still stuck on harping around on what was the norm 5 years ago and pretty stubborn about even looking at it today. They aren't perfect, but IMO they are MUCH better then what they were earlier, and still quite a bit better then activision is.

Also, as for HTML5, I have no idea how capable it is for between process communications since I'm not a coder. But I wonder if there is actually API's for handling communications to an arbitrary process without some form of control.

tanker27 - Actually, I would think it's the opposite, in game browsers have been a know quantity for ages, and they had earlier ones already in code, and there is one on the consoles that they could probably use on PC quite easily. My thoughts are that they don't want it. And my opinion is that it's actually a fine choice.

As for clunky, guess that is up to you. The Battlelog filters are for me, so much more easily handled then the filters inside in-game browsers, especially if I actually wan't to look around without joining a game. That's mainly why I like Battlelog, because I sometimes go and chat with my friends from work, etc, or check something. Something I couldn't have done at all if it was still in game.

But it might be a question of usage patterns. Battlelog fits my patters easily, especially the secondary screen map, etc. Also, Alt-tabbing has been extremely flawless in BF3 and 4. Something not many other games can say.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:29 am

When Battlefield 3 was released the HTML5 spec wasn't even finished. And every browser isn't guaranteed to function exactly the same.

Until MS pushes IE9 and 10 out the window in 2016 you can't even really guarantee people are using capable browsers in the first place.
Meow.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:33 am

EA's EULA states clearly they do not sell collected PII to third parties. Beware news stories from three plus years ago that say otherwise. The EULA changed in response to those stories.

Steam on the other hand does reserve the right to sell your PII even today.

Origin's UI settings has the ability to further restrict what types of PII are submitted to EA.

I'd also note that I think DICE picked a plugin for their game, not EA. Mass Effect 3 multiplayer for example had an in-game browser. So I don't see any indication that EA forces vendors to use a web based plugin.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.